Solved Vista will not boot

Oe210

A little background. Was dual booting Ubuntu for a few days, didn't like it so I removed the Ubuntu partition (against others best advice) manually from within Vista (mistake #1). Vista continued to work normally until I shut down PC. On restart, got the grub error and nothing would load. Used a linux LiveCD to try and manually repair the MBR from inside linux terminal, but ended up a cidentally deleting it (mistake #2). So instead of reinstalling a linux OS like I should have, I deleted my mbr and couldn't load Vista at all.

At this point I tried to use my factory backup discs I'd recently used to resintall Vista (with great success I might add) that Id made from Acer eRecovery (I have an Extensa 5420). Naturally the Acer restore discs only do one thing - restore Vista. No option to repair Vista (which should have allowed me to fix my mbr). Long story short, I tried reinstalling Vista as I have in the past, but it continued to not boot (grub error remained).

Now, mistake #4, I boot and nuked my harddrive. Done this in the past with XP systems, so I had the software handy. Now, after much tinkering (reestablishing harddrive partitions and whatnot), I can get Vista to install as it should, only it won't boot. The OS is there - if I use a GParted LIveCD, it shows me that the harddrive is partitioned ans formatted as it has been in the three years Ive owned this laptop (150g harddrive in two large partitions, each with smaller system partitions - the first is an 8+g system partition and the second is a 3+g partition). Like I said, all the partitions are exactly where they were in the past, and the same size and Vista is installed where it needs to be.....

But when I start my laptop, it goes past the BIOS load screen (my BIOS is setup correctly, btw) and then goes to a black screen with a blinking "_" at the top left corner of the screen and just sits there, blinking, forever.

To reiterate, the Vista OS is installed, the harddrive is working as it should, the BIOS is set up as it should be, yet it won't load.

My Computer

Managed to fix it! Though I doubt anyone would make such a succession of stupid mistakes as I have done in this scenario, I will include the way to fix it just in case.

Turns out the problem, as I have been suspecting for a few days now, was that my MBR was gone. Even though I totally erased my harddrive and completely reinstalled Vista (even using Acer's Disk Format tool, among others), Vista did not reinstall the mbr for some reason.

The simple fix, that I should have done from the beginning was to use a linux LiveCD to restore the mbr. I used PCLinuxOS 2010.12 (specifically because, unlike the new Ubuntu distro, it has working drivers for my wifi on the CD, and it has the Lilo program imbedded, which most new LiveCDs do). With Lilo installed (can be installed in the linux terminal via the command: sudo apt-get install lilo) one needs only go to the Terminal (linux's version of MSDOS) and type: sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr. This will repair/restore your mbr and Vista will work again.

On a slightly side note, theres a lot of stuff online about using the linux ms-sys program to do the same, but it is no longer available and, therefore, you must use lilo to make this work. I tried directing lilo at /dev/sda1 and 2 as other guides tell you to do, but neither worked for me - only /dev/sda without numbers. Yours might be different.

Hope no one else runs into this problem, but if you do, hope this helps!

My Computer

Hi
Try repairing your vista pc using vista installation disk if it works. Repair option is available on any vista/seven disk or if it fails load ubuntu live cd and launch terminal then update grub. After you are through everything will be fine.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP d530 SFF
    CPU
    Intel p4 3.00ghz, 2.99ghz with Hyperthreading
    Motherboard
    HP d530 SFF
    Memory
    1 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel i865g, 96mb