Solved What is the best way to backup my system? in Windows Vista

tomherry

Each Windows Vista edition includes a ‘basic’ restore option. Located in: Start>> Control Panel>> Backup and Restore center. Vista allows users to automate the process quickly and easily. This feature includes such options as, how often you would like your system backed up. What day to run this process and what time of the day. Scheduling couldn’t be easier as the "Simple Backup Wizard" guides you through the scheduling process.

If you are using either Business, Ultimate or Enterprise editions, you have a feature called "Complete PC Backup and Restore" available to you. This is a very comprehensive, image-based backup tool used in the event of:

* System Disaster
* PC Malfunction
* File Loss
* Corruption of Data

The Complete PC Backup and Restore tool is capable of restoring the entire PC environment which includes all Windows and data files, installed programs and individual user settings. You can also take your system back to its original state and even restore the PC environment to a replacement PC if necessary.

If you are not able to boot your computer to the hard drive, you can access ‘Complete PC Backup and Restore’ using your installation CD:cry:

My Computer

Each Windows Vista edition includes a ‘basic’ restore option. Located in: Start>> Control Panel>> Backup and Restore center. Vista allows users to automate the process quickly and easily. This feature includes such options as, how often you would like your system backed up. What day to run this process and what time of the day. Scheduling couldn’t be easier as the "Simple Backup Wizard" guides you through the scheduling process.

If you are using either Business, Ultimate or Enterprise editions, you have a feature called "Complete PC Backup and Restore" available to you. This is a very comprehensive, image-based backup tool used in the event of:

* System Disaster
* PC Malfunction
* File Loss
* Corruption of Data

The Complete PC Backup and Restore tool is capable of restoring the entire PC environment which includes all Windows and data files, installed programs and individual user settings. You can also take your system back to its original state and even restore the PC environment to a replacement PC if necessary.

If you are not able to boot your computer to the hard drive, you can access ‘Complete PC Backup and Restore’ using your installation CD:cry:

Thanks for the post Tom :D

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Q6600 Quad Core 2.4 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 X 1 GB DDR2 Kingston 800 Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 8800 GT 512 MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Dell 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    3360x1050
    Hard Drives
    320 GB Internal Main
    500 GB USB External
    160 GB USB External
    2TB USB External
    Internet Speed
    DSL 3MB
If I don't have those versions of Vista, how can I use the Complete PC Backup and Restore tool? Or is it not possible? I want to make a backup of my hard drive and not have to reinstall applications. Or is there another tool?

My Computer

If I don't have those versions of Vista, how can I use the Complete PC Backup and Restore tool? Or is it not possible? I want to make a backup of my hard drive and not have to reinstall applications. Or is there another tool?
Use free Macrium - it is simple, efficient and reliable. Here are a couple of my tutorials in the Windows7 Forum (but it is the same for Vista).

Imaging with free Macrium - Windows 7 Forums

Also have a look at "Related Thread" for a brief introduction.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    CPU
    Q6600
    Memory
    4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207h
    Hard Drives
    2x250GB HDDs
    1x60GB OCZ SSD
    6 external disks 60 to 640GBs
    Other Info
    Also 1xHP desktop, 1xHP laptop, 1xGateway laptop
Use free Macrium - it is simple, efficient and reliable. Here are a couple of my tutorials in the Windows7 Forum (but it is the same for Vista).

Imaging with free Macrium - Windows 7 Forums

Also have a look at "Related Thread" for a brief introduction.

+1 Since WHS introduced me to Macrium i have not had to do a clean install on any of my machines & have successfully restored to images on all of them on numerous occasions, Seven, Vista & also XP :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hewlett Packard, compaq presario CQ60-305AU
    CPU
    AMD Athlon QI-46 2.1 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Wistron 303C
    Memory
    2048 Mb DDR2 SD Ram
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidea GE Go Force 8200M G / 256Mb dedicated grapics memory
    Sound Card
    MCP78S NVidea High definition
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6" High Definition Brightview Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1336x768
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba MK2555GSX ATA
    Mouse
    Synaptics PS2/Touchpad
Thanks, I will check out this program. I got through about 8 minutes of the tutorial video and it looks solid. I've also discovered some other apps called DriveImage XML and Drive Snapshot. I don't know which one I like better yet, but thanks for the reply WHS and the positive review Mitchell.

:):huh::D

My Computer

Thanks, I will check out this program. I got through about 8 minutes of the tutorial video and it looks solid. I've also discovered some other apps called DriveImage XML and Drive Snapshot. I don't know which one I like better yet, but thanks for the reply WHS and the positive review Mitchell.

:):huh::D
Those other 2 programs are options. But Macrium is a lot easier to use and I know that it works because I have used it in Win7, Vista and XP and made a lot of successful recoveries for real and for demo when I teach the subject in my computer club.

PS: and don't forget to checkout this for a fast start: http://www.vistax64.com/software/261727-image-your-system-free-macrium.html

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    CPU
    Q6600
    Memory
    4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207h
    Hard Drives
    2x250GB HDDs
    1x60GB OCZ SSD
    Other Info
So, can I ask you a question, thats a bit off topic from the thread. I have been using XP for so long now and haven't really done much with Vista. Your profile says you use Home Premium... Do you prefer that to the Ultimate of Business editions?

My Computer

So, can I ask you a question, thats a bit off topic from the thread. I have been using XP for so long now and haven't really done much with Vista. Your profile says you use Home Premium... Do you prefer that to the Ultimate of Business editions?
I assume you are asking me. All my editions (4x Vista and 3x Windows7) are Home Premium. Some came with the PCs and some I bought seperately. I never saw a need to buy a higher edition. They provide no additional functions that I would use.

gee, I feel like I'm missing out on all the other features in the commercial version..
There is actually only one additional feature that I would like to have - that is automatic disk space management. All the other functions I can do without or can get for free from other programs (e.g. cloning). The one function that many people like (differential images) I never use even in Norton Ghost where I have it available. It is too easy to loose a whole chain of images if only one differential is damaged or corrupted.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    CPU
    Q6600
    Memory
    4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207h
    Hard Drives
    2x250GB HDDs
    1x60GB OCZ SSD
    Other Info
+1 for Macrium Reflect I think the home versions of Vista have the Media Center and the Business versions don't

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo Thinkpad T400
    CPU
    Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53GHz
    Motherboard
    LENOVO 64734VM
    Memory
    2.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Sound Card
    Conexant 20561 SmartAudio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    1x 180GB Intel 530 series SSD
    1 x 120GB Hitachi 5400rmp
    1 x 650GB Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    1x 1Tb Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    Internet Speed
    Medium for New Zealand
    Other Info
    Weakest part of my computer is the graphics chipset.
    Only ever used a laptop.
    Also use USB Freeview TV Card
    Lenovo Docking Station
    External Speakers
    Other bits a pieces as needed
Back