Solved WMP 11 exploit? Auto Install / Security issue

Hello,

I just had a shocking experience. I was playing an online game, and while downloading in-game patch, I changed the screen to Desktop. However, in Vista desktop, I saw that Windows Vista was trying to install WMP 11. I tried to stop and close the installation windows, but it didn't work. I went to Program Manager and tried to shut down the process, and it didn't work either. I used Process Tree shut down, but still no luck. WMP 11 installation window kept going in a loop along with Windows Explorer error.

I managed to shut down Windows Vista, but when it rebooted, I heard a weird noise and beep coming out of my HDD and PC. I used Windows Safe Mode, but it didn't help much. And, when I was required to enter my password for Windows, I saw a peculiar text beneath the box (I don't remember the exact words). So, I took off my RAM and reboot the system, and it successfully reboot the system. I used MS Security Essential to seek for intrusion, but nothing was found. I also downloaded some files from Microsoft related to WMP exploits (they were all made in 2012), but none of them were applicable to my system. Probably they have been installed on my system already since this system has just been rebuilt recently.

Some big questions here. Is this a viral attack? Because it happens all of sudden and I couldn't terminate the looping system. It's like trying to destroy my HDD. If so, is it possible that the attack came from someone I know in this online game? Or, is this purely an issue with WMP 11 and has nothing to do with virus/malware/trojan etc? From Windows System perspective, is there a way to cure this WMP 11 exploit or auto-install problem? Thank you for your help.

PS: I used to have Ventrilo in my system and used it in conjuction with this online game. I wonder if it's possible for the attacker to find out my IP from this application and used it to attack my system when I was online. I used Windows Vista since 2007, but I'd never encountered such an enigmatic issue.

My Computer

Welcome
I dont know of any virus that can actually destroy hardware. In any event, run a full anti virus scan, if you can.
Download and run a full scan with malwarebytes, if you can.
If you can run this software and it is positive, remove the virus.
If it is negative, just to be on the safe side go back with a system restore point.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Welcome
I dont know of any virus that can actually destroy hardware. In any event, run a full anti virus scan, if you can.
Download and run a full scan with malwarebytes, if you can.
If you can run this software and it is positive, remove the virus.
If it is negative, just to be on the safe side go back with a system restore point.

Hi richc46,
Thank you for replying to my post. I downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-virus as well as Malwarebytes Anti-rootkit. Both of them couldn't find anything from my PC. So, I'd speculate that either the attack was temporary or the infected item(s) has been removed by Vista system restore. Everything seems okay at the moment, but big question remains unanswered.

How did WMP 11 tried to install automatically into my system and when I tried to stop the process, Windows explorer had some error and everything went into a loop? This loop forced my HDD going full-throttle as such I heard unusually loud noise coming out. I'd imagine if it were an old HDD, it'd easily got busted.

Secondly, assuming it was a sudden attack, what are loop holes in Vista that I can close down to anticipate such attack in the future? I use Home Premium 32bits, and I set my firewall to block all incoming connection and disable remote assistance. You might think that I'm paranoid, but this incident is truly unusual and I doubt that, regardless of how Vista was created (I heard some people laughed at me for using Windows Vista), Windows Vista was designed to force user to install an application without user concent or the ability of cancelling the whole process.

Again, thank you for your help and pointers, and sorry for such a long post.

My Computer

You are very welcome. No need to apolgize for the size of your post, that is why we are here.
To move on. If you want to keep your computer secure:
Always install the latestest updates. Download and use Secunia PSI. It will tell you if your software has all the security upadates. I will automaticlly run and tell you once a week if you are up to date.
Download and use Miscrosoft Security Essentials, for your anti virus.
Use Malwarebytes for a once a week scan.
Always use a firewall
Stay away from those GOOD sites. You know what I mean
Dont open email from strangers
How to Help Keep Your Computer Safe from Hackers | Overstock.com
You can test your computer with the state of the art testing service
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
You are very welcome. No need to apolgize for the size of your post, that is why we are here.
To move on. If you want to keep your computer secure:
Always install the latestest updates. Download and use Secunia PSI. It will tell you if your software has all the security upadates. I will automaticlly run and tell you once a week if you are up to date.
Download and use Miscrosoft Security Essentials, for your anti virus.
Use Malwarebytes for a once a week scan.
Always use a firewall
Stay away from those GOOD sites. You know what I mean
Dont open email from strangers
How to Help Keep Your Computer Safe from Hackers | Overstock.com
You can test your computer with the state of the art testing service
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

:):):)
Thank you again for the tips. I have gone through them all and now I have more confidence in my PC security.

Secunia PSI looks very cool and to my surprise, it helped me to update my Adobe Flash Player which I only recently downloaded. So, I believe it'd be an excellent assistance for Windows updating system.

My Computer

You are very welcome and I am very glad that we were a able to help.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays