Windows Vista Forums

EXTREMELY slow response times when opening/closing apps and programs

  1. #1



    Junior Member
    Join Date : Apr 2009
    Posts : 13
    Vista Home Premium
    Local Time: 02:14 AM

    EXTREMELY slow response times when opening/closing apps and programs

    Hello,

    I need some assistance. I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop that runs Vista Home Edition. Whenver I boot up and try to open a program or application, it takes a really REALLY long time for it to open. For example, whenever I try to open Firefox or Internet Explorer or even my control panel, the window will open and will be blank. Then it will start to load but either take an enormous amount of time or, after I've become tired of waiting, I'll try to exit and it will say (Not Responding). Now eventually this goes away and the window does close, but like I said, it takes a ton of time trying to open and close these things up. If I do wait it out and I do get into my Internet Explorer or Mozilla, any links that I click or addresses that I type, it again, takes forever.

    I've run a deep system scan with my Anti-Virus software and came up with nothing. I did a system restore to a point where the problem was not happening and, again, nothing.

    Any suggestions?!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.   


  3. #2
    rive0108's Avatar

    DNPNWO


    Join Date : Sep 2007
    Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
    Posts : 2,081
    Vista Ultimate X64 SP2
    Local Time: 02:14 AM
    usa us virginia

     

    Re: EXTREMELY slow response times when opening/closing apps and programs

    Quote Originally Posted by seany811 View Post
    Hello,

    I need some assistance. I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop that runs Vista Home Edition. Whenver I boot up and try to open a program or application, it takes a really REALLY long time for it to open. For example, whenever I try to open Firefox or Internet Explorer or even my control panel, the window will open and will be blank. Then it will start to load but either take an enormous amount of time or, after I've become tired of waiting, I'll try to exit and it will say (Not Responding). Now eventually this goes away and the window does close, but like I said, it takes a ton of time trying to open and close these things up. If I do wait it out and I do get into my Internet Explorer or Mozilla, any links that I click or addresses that I type, it again, takes forever.

    I've run a deep system scan with my Anti-Virus software and came up with nothing. I did a system restore to a point where the problem was not happening and, again, nothing.

    Any suggestions?!
    Frag/file errors/disk errors
    or insufficient Installed Memory
    How To Make Vista more responsive and faster

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #3



    Junior Member
    Join Date : Apr 2009
    Posts : 13
    Vista Home Premium
    Local Time: 02:14 AM


      Thread Starter

    Re: EXTREMELY slow response times when opening/closing apps and programs

    will this work if i do it in safe mode as it will take an enormous amount of time if i try to do it when i boot up normally?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #4
    rive0108's Avatar

    DNPNWO


    Join Date : Sep 2007
    Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
    Posts : 2,081
    Vista Ultimate X64 SP2
    Local Time: 02:14 AM
    usa us virginia

     

    Re: EXTREMELY slow response times when opening/closing apps and programs

    Quote Originally Posted by seany811 View Post
    will this work if i do it in safe mode as it will take an enormous amount of time if i try to do it when i boot up normally?
    defrag, can be done while using the system normally-but do not click the x and close the cmd prompt or it will abort.

    the diskcheck is done outside of a Windows, and must be restarted to commence.

    Follow tutorial instructions

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #5
    rive0108's Avatar

    DNPNWO


    Join Date : Sep 2007
    Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
    Posts : 2,081
    Vista Ultimate X64 SP2
    Local Time: 02:14 AM
    usa us virginia

     

    Re: EXTREMELY slow response times when opening/closing apps and programs

    ps-the defrag can also be done through recovery command Prompt:
    I havent tried it through safe mode, so I dont know if it will work...

    Perhaps, you should just schedule the disk check first, then restart





    System Recovery Options


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #6
    rive0108's Avatar

    DNPNWO


    Join Date : Sep 2007
    Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
    Posts : 2,081
    Vista Ultimate X64 SP2
    Local Time: 02:14 AM
    usa us virginia

     

    Re: EXTREMELY slow response times when opening/closing apps and programs

    What antivirus are you running by the way?
    Antivirus Scanners & Internet Security Tools

    Here is a current breakdown of the Lab tested Programs. If you are not using at least a 2 star certified product, you may want to consider download a free one (Avast!/Avira-see link above for downloads)
    note- some of the "offbrand" AV's are junk or malware.


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #7



    Junior Member
    Join Date : Apr 2009
    Posts : 13
    Vista Home Premium
    Local Time: 02:14 AM


      Thread Starter

    Re: EXTREMELY slow response times when opening/closing apps and programs

    I'm running Vipre from Sunbelt Software

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #8
    rive0108's Avatar

    DNPNWO


    Join Date : Sep 2007
    Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
    Posts : 2,081
    Vista Ultimate X64 SP2
    Local Time: 02:14 AM
    usa us virginia

     

    Re: EXTREMELY slow response times when opening/closing apps and programs

    Quote Originally Posted by seany811 View Post
    I'm running Vipre from Sunbelt Software
    Chances are good you have malware.

    Vipre. Wow. Thats not a very good program. It has also never been lab tested or certified. I hear that it offers subpar protection.
    http://www.drsafemode.com/2008/04/16...-virus-review/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DmxWy9PbPw

    "We were testing an up-to-date Vipre with a clean system scanning an infected drive. It did not detect or block the W32.Downadup!autorun or the Downadup/Conficker worm. No detection and no results on a scan. It let the virus migrate to a flash drive as well.

    We had to use Avira to clean it up. In the case of the autorun, we fixed manually"
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/forum...d&threadID=841

    I suggest either run Avira/Avast! and doublecheck to see if it is missing things.
    I also suggest running malwarebytes (for detection of polymorphic malware)
    click linked downloads I posted in previous post # 6

    Last edited by rive0108; 16 Apr 2009 at 09:58 AM.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #9



    Junior Member
    Join Date : Apr 2009
    Posts : 13
    Vista Home Premium
    Local Time: 02:14 AM


      Thread Starter

    Re: EXTREMELY slow response times when opening/closing apps and programs

    Ok. So can I start up in Safe Mode and make all these changes? Like, can I download and install this new anti virus and can I run the disk defrag and other scans? If I were to try and do this by starting up normally, it would take an eternity just to start the process. Everything works fine when I'm in Safe Mode.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  11. #10
    rive0108's Avatar

    DNPNWO


    Join Date : Sep 2007
    Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
    Posts : 2,081
    Vista Ultimate X64 SP2
    Local Time: 02:14 AM
    usa us virginia

     

    Re: EXTREMELY slow response times when opening/closing apps and programs

    Quote Originally Posted by seany811 View Post
    Ok. So can I start up in Safe Mode and make all these changes? Like, can I download and install this new anti virus and can I run the disk defrag and other scans? If I were to try and do this by starting up normally, it would take an eternity just to start the process. Everything works fine when I'm in Safe Mode.
    Many installation packages use the Microsoft installer Package and will require the service which will only run in Normal Mode.

    I would wait on the defrag/disk check. chances are good the issue here is a trojan/virus/malware, etc. your system may be thoughly infected, and may require a re-install if there is severe Windows corruption.

    barring that, I would then run the performance tools

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

EXTREMELY slow response times when opening/closing apps and programs
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
E-MAIL SLOW SOMETIMES NO RESPONSE HAVE TO CLICK 2 -3 TIMES Vista mail
Uninstall Programs is extremely slow Vista General
Vista Ultimate and SLOW internet response times Vista General
Start Menu's All Programs Slow opening Vista General
extremely long boot times Vista performance & maintenance