32 vs 64 bit gaming Increase my fps?

Yes you are correct. To explain il take the numbers from your second Task Manager screenshot:

Ram installed: 8190mb
Ram in use: 1548mb

If you were then to take out 6 gigs of ram so you only had 2 gigs installed on your pc, your performance tab would look like this:

Ram installed: 2048mb
Ram in use: 1548mb

The cache value and the free value will change as youve reduced the amount of ram available. These figures are nothing to worry about and you should just leave vista to do its thing.

If more ram is needed as Free vista will empty the Cached of the amount needed.

My Computer

do your research Luke , vista doesnt hog memory , the more you have the more it will use to help th os run faster , it will be released by the the os as and when its needed

thats the thing! it doesnt run faster!
hell just look at crysis:

min for xp is a 2.8 p4 and a gig

min for vista is a 3.2 p4 with a gig and a half

and yes i know that its simply caching the os and if the memory is needed it will become free but on a same spec system xp will run faster for almost anything.

microsoft software is crap, it takes a few years for them to work out the kinks. if mainstream games were supported on linux i'd be all linux.

just look at windows media player (10 or 11), it uses 5-12% of my 7750 to simply play music, it doesnt matter what type: wav, mp3, or wma. im very curious what its doing, if its trying to keep me from playing illegal music it sucks at life. (i just tested it, im against stealing music)
i've moved to foobar2000:
0% cpu and it sounds 10 times better; if you watch the scope on media player it actually shows that its clipping, i didnt notice it until i compared it.

office 2007 has a process (cant remember the name now) that is for "alternative user input," something that probably less than 1% of people use. well microsoft thought it would be just genius if they made this process take up 3-6 megs of memory ALL the time for EVERYBODY sure you could just uninstall that feature but would it have been that hard for them to make its only run if its needed? I wonder what vista could do with 5 megs of ram if it only has 1 or 2 gigs? considering thats really what most people have.

and then there's svchost.exe, haha just kidding, lol

i have dial up because unfortunately i cant get dsl where i live. well, vista just loves to remind me to connect to the internet no matter what im doing, watching a movie, playing a FULLSCREEN game. it doesnt care, it wants to go tell microsoft what ive been doing for all i know. and yes i know i can tell it to "never dial a connection" and just connect manually but i shouldn't have to .

hopefully windows 7 will be better, probably not, but we can always hope

btw- ms cant count
lets see theres windows... 1.0 ,1.1 ,2.0, 2.1, 3.0, 3.1, NT, 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, vista

more like windows 11....

i wonder if bill gates uses vista... probably uses a mac.... lol

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    built myself, parts from newegg.com
    CPU
    AMD 7750 2.7g @3.1 when gaming
    Motherboard
    jetway HA07, 790GX
    Memory
    4 gigs of 1066 (@800 when overclocking over 3GHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    xfx 4850 1 gig @675/1077 when gaming, temp never >62
    Sound Card
    the 8 channel integrated one that in almost ever motherboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    dell flatpanel 19in, standard aspect ratio, DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280X1024
    Hard Drives
    320 gig, 16 meg, 7200, Western Digital, sata 3g
    PSU
    585 watt
    Case
    linkworld ugly POS, but i dont care- it was cheap, 3 fans
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ex 100
    Mouse
    LX6
    Internet Speed
    44k, dial up
    Other Info
    i have 2 vista laptops with specs that are nothing special
svchost is entirely dependent on what services you have running, so I'm not sure if you're playing off people's lack of knowledge or generally don't know. I'll assume the former. Have you tried Windows 7 yet? Have you not heard the rave reviews of those running the RC?

Also just because I use Linux as my primary OS (OpenSUSE), I have to defend the Linux game front. The Orange Box runs on Wine, and as far as I'm concerned TF2 is the only game I really care about on windows. There are linux versions of all the emulated consoles, and I'm sure there are other games that could run through wine.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sager NG2096
    CPU
    Intel P8700
    Memory
    4 Gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    9600M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung PN50A550
    Screen Resolution
    Primary 1680 X 1050, Secondary 1920 X 1080
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Satalite :-(
    Other Info
    Running SUSE, Solaris, Kalyware, and BSD through vmware whenever the mood strikes
Most XP users use 32bit whereas alot of people use vista 64bit. On XP 32bit the amount of ram is an issue whereas on vista 64bit its not, so you can just install what RAM you want.

On the previous page i showed im running Vista 64bit and its using less than 1 gig of RAM. Thats hardly a resource hog as who nowadays doesnt have 1 gig of RAM?

I run XP 32bit and Vista 64bit and i prefer Vista. It looks nicer, its more stable, its more secure, i can run 64bit apps etc. The problem with Vista is people installing it on pc's that are just plain rubbish, with generic ram and locked bios motherboards etc (HP, Dell anyone lol).

My Computer

svchost is entirely dependent on what services you have running, so I'm not sure if you're playing off people's lack of knowledge or generally don't know. I'll assume the former. Have you tried Windows 7 yet? Have you not heard the rave reviews of those running the RC?

Also just because I use Linux as my primary OS (OpenSUSE), I have to defend the Linux game front. The Orange Box runs on Wine, and as far as I'm concerned TF2 is the only game I really care about on windows. There are linux versions of all the emulated consoles, and I'm sure there are other games that could run through wine.

dude notice the "haha just kidding" following the svchost.....

yes i have heard of rc, im still skeptical... i will defiantly try it though.

defend? i was not attacking... i want all games to be compatible not just tf2 and hf2
personally i dont like fps's on PC, COD4 is way smoother on 360 even with a 3g quad core and a 4870X2,

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    jetway HA07, 790GX
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280X1024
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    585 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ex 100
    Mouse
    LX6
    Internet Speed
    44k, dial up
    Other Info

defend? i was not attacking... i want all games to be compatible not just tf2 and hf2
personally i dont like fps's on PC, COD4 is way smoother on 360 even with a 3g quad core and a 4870X2,

Fair enough :D I can't count how many times I've facepalmed when someone comes to me asking why their current session turns to **** after forcing svchost to end. I'm hoping RC is worth all the hype, but my download speed would probably be better with dialup, and I'm only 33% done as of now. I'd suggest googling the current state of compatibility between the games you enjoy and linux. You'd be surprised how far people are coming.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sager NG2096
    CPU
    Intel P8700
    Memory
    4 Gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    9600M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung PN50A550
    Screen Resolution
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    Running SUSE, Solaris, Kalyware, and BSD through vmware whenever the mood strikes
Most XP users use 32bit whereas alot of people use vista 64bit. On XP 32bit the amount of ram is an issue whereas on vista 64bit its not, so you can just install what RAM you want.

On the previous page i showed im running Vista 64bit and its using less than 1 gig of RAM. Thats hardly a resource hog as who nowadays doesnt have 1 gig of RAM?

I run XP 32bit and Vista 64bit and i prefer Vista. It looks nicer, its more stable, its more secure, i can run 64bit apps etc. The problem with Vista is people installing it on pc's that are just plain rubbish, with generic ram and locked bios motherboards etc (HP, Dell anyone lol).
i have x64 xp

3gig of ram on xp is more than enough

in my experiance vista is far far away from secure. i dont think xp x64 has crashed once since i installed it (4 months ago), not even a program not responding.

i dont care if it looks nicer

it shouldnt take 6 gigs of ddr3 memory and a quad core cpu to run vista and have it not crash.

im tempted to install vista 64 on my system and see how crappy it is compared to xp 64

it seems that the only people who like vista are people with 6 gigs and an overclocked i7 975.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    jetway HA07, 790GX
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280X1024
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    585 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ex 100
    Mouse
    LX6
    Internet Speed
    44k, dial up
    Other Info

Fair enough :D I can't count how many times I've facepalmed when someone comes to me asking why their current session turns to **** after forcing svchost to end. I'm hoping RC is worth all the hype, but my download speed would probably be better with dialup, and I'm only 33% done as of now. I'd suggest googling the current state of compatibility between the games you enjoy and linux. You'd be surprised how far people are coming.

which is why i havent even started downloading it, dial up....

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    jetway HA07, 790GX
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280X1024
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    585 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ex 100
    Mouse
    LX6
    Internet Speed
    44k, dial up
    Other Info
it seems that the only people who like vista are people with 6 gigs and an overclocked i7 975.

lol look at my system specs. I built my pc over 2 years ago. If technology doesnt advance and require more ram, faster cpu's, HDD's etc we might as well go back to pentium 4's and install windows 98 for pure speed.

People seem to forget that XP had people saying the same things that are being said about Vista. Lots of people where complaining SP2 for XP was bloated and slowed down there pc's and so they were going to avoid it. But eventually SP2 became the norm as faster hardware became available.

My Computer

i have x64 xp

3gig of ram on xp is more than enough

in my experiance vista is far far away from secure. i dont think xp x64 has crashed once since i installed it (4 months ago), not even a program not responding.

i dont care if it looks nicer

it shouldnt take 6 gigs of ddr3 memory and a quad core cpu to run vista and have it not crash.

im tempted to install vista 64 on my system and see how crappy it is compared to xp 64

I have Vista on a quad core with 2 gigs, a bare bones Inspiron 1500 with 1 gig, and my Sager notebook with 4 gigs and all run fine for what the computers were purchased/built for. I'm not sure if people are attempting to run 10 instances of folding@home with dual monitors jerryrigged to onboard video and crysis running at max settings, but the OS itself seems perfectly able to function on all three computers (the inspiron less then either other installs, but my wife uses Firefox and Word so I hardly lose sleep over it). Both my tower and laptop run two displays the primary being 1680 X 1050 and the secondary 1920 X 1080 with glass on and no slowdown, and neither has top of the line anything. On the other hand the Dell D800 and D810s I have back in NY at work that have Vista Enterprise make me want to gouge my eyes out with sporks, so I'll admit that Vista isn't as ideal as the fanboys would like us to believe, but by no means is vista a bad OS if you have a "decent" computer.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sager NG2096
    CPU
    Intel P8700
    Memory
    4 Gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    9600M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung PN50A550
    Screen Resolution
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
running vista X64 on a AMD PHENOM II X3 710 2.6ghz OC to 3.25 with 8gb ram, never have any issues with it. runs smother than XP X64

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CUSTOM BUILT BY ME
    CPU
    AMD PHENOM II X3 710 2.6GHZ Overclocked to 3.25GHZ Stable
    Motherboard
    Ecs Gf8200a Phenom-2 X4 Quad Core Mboard
    Memory
    8BG PC5300 4 x 2GB OCZ
    Graphics Card(s)
    PCI-E ATI HD 4670 1GB Overclocked 4GB Total
    Sound Card
    Onboard 7.1 HD AUDIO
    Monitor(s) Displays
    55" Vizio LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 1200 HD
    Hard Drives
    1TB Seagate, 1TB Hitachi, 250GB Maxtor, 250GB Seagate
    PSU
    Kingwin ABT-610MM Maximum Power 610 Watt ATX 12V
    Case
    GENERIC
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS7500-AlCu LED Universal CPU Cooler, 4 CASE FANS
    Keyboard
    MICROSOFT WIRELESS KEYBOARD
    Mouse
    MICROSOFT WIRELESS MOUSE
    Internet Speed
    CABLE 15MBPS

lol look at my system specs. I built my pc over 2 years ago. If technology doesnt advance and require more ram, faster cpu's, HDD's etc we might as well go back to pentium 4's and install windows 98 for pure speed.

People seem to forget that XP had people saying the same things that are being said about Vista. Lots of people where complaining SP2 for XP was bloated and slowed down there pc's and so they were going to avoid it. But eventually SP2 became the norm as faster hardware became available.
and whats wrong with that? why should people looking for a 500 dollar computer be essentially forced into vista when they would be 10 times better off with xp? what can vista do that xp cant? i have yet to find anything.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    jetway HA07, 790GX
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280X1024
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    585 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ex 100
    Mouse
    LX6
    Internet Speed
    44k, dial up
    Other Info

and whats wrong with that? why should people looking for a 500 dollar computer be essentially forced into vista when they would be 10 times better off with xp? what can vista do that xp cant for the average computer user? i have yet to find anything.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    jetway HA07, 790GX
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280X1024
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    585 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ex 100
    Mouse
    LX6
    Internet Speed
    44k, dial up
    Other Info
be essentially forced into vista

No one is forced into Vista. If you dont like it then use XP, Linux or buy a MAC. Windows 7 is coming out and im going to continue using Vista as they cant force me to use Windows 7. If someone is only going to spend $500 on a complete PC with monitor, keyboard and mouse etc then they should expect it to be rubbish no matter whats running on it as they are going to get generic ram, locked bios motherboards, slow hard drives, rubbish monitors etc lol.

My dad who has Vista just got 4 gigs of Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600Mhz for £60. Upgrades are cheap as chips :p

Heres a LINK that covers just some of the things Vista has over XP. My favourites are the games folder, windows explorer windows, windows update as an app, DirectX 10, Windows Photo Gallery etc.

My Computer

No one is forced into Vista. If you dont like it then use XP, Linux or buy a MAC. Windows 7 is coming out and im going to continue using Vista as they cant force me to use Windows 7. If someone is only going to spend $500 on a complete PC with monitor, keyboard and mouse etc then they should expect it to be rubbish no matter whats running on it as they are going to get generic ram, locked bios motherboards, slow hard drives, rubbish monitors etc lol.

My dad who has Vista just got 4 gigs of Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600Mhz for £60. Upgrades are cheap as chips :p

Heres a LINK that covers just some of the things Vista has over XP. My favourites are the games folder, windows explorer windows, windows update as an app, DirectX 10, Windows Photo Gallery etc.

I agree with you
& cant understand why people still complaing
Vista was not that good when it came out
but now its not bad & yes windows 7 is coming out

That will be rally good & Windows Rules :)

My Computer

It would be similar to someone buying a base model of a Camaro/Mustang/Challenger and complaining it doesn't put out enough power. No one forced anyone to buy anything, if the consumer doesn't want to make a knowledgeable purchase then that's their fault. You can't blame the company for putting out a product they know isn't optimal but is guaranteed to sell.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sager NG2096
    CPU
    Intel P8700
    Memory
    4 Gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    9600M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung PN50A550
    Screen Resolution
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

your right nobody forced ME into vista because i know how to build my own computer

the average joe going to staples to get a laptop has no option to get XP. MACs are expensive and they suck, linux is nice but not for the average joe

i was thinking 500 dollar computer without monitor keyboard and mouse

i just built somebody one for $496 including shipping

xp x64
X2 250 3 ghz, 2 MB L2
2 gigs ddr2 800
320 gig HD

it runs like a dream, definitely not "rubbish"

as for that webpage

the only things that make vista better would be the search feature and DX 10. everything else was just crappy included software that you'd be better off with freeware, and retarded aesthetics

your just agreeing with me when you say people shouldnt be installing vista on "generic" ram and "locked bios mobos."
people should be able to do these things. why shouldnt vista run on an average computer? what is generic ram btw? why are locked bios's bad- other than not being able to overclock? slow HD's? really the only thing that affects HD performance that much is the spindle speed and a 7200 hd is only like $50-70 while a 10000 is like $150, its not worth the price dif, especially when that 70 dollar drive is 500 gig and the 150 dollar is only 150 gig.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    jetway HA07, 790GX
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280X1024
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    585 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ex 100
    Mouse
    LX6
    Internet Speed
    44k, dial up
    Other Info
The fact you say Linux isn't for the average Joe suggests that you've never booted Ubuntu before. Average Joe looks at porn, checks email, chats on instant messenger, watches movies, and listens to music. Tell me which one of those is hard to accomplish on any of the mainstream Linux distros.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sager NG2096
    CPU
    Intel P8700
    Memory
    4 Gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    9600M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung PN50A550
    Screen Resolution
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
The fact you say Linux isn't for the average Joe suggests that you've never booted Ubuntu before. Average Joe looks at porn, checks email, chats on instant messenger, watches movies, and listens to music. Tell me which one of those is hard to accomplish on any of the mainstream Linux distros.
lmao, I like you :D

to others:
I thought this was a discussion about which is faster, 32bit or 64bit, not a flame war against xp and vista.

1. why are xp fanboys on here? this is VISTA FORUMS, not flaming forums
2. stick to topic, or it will be closed and you may be warned or even banned.
3. i know this is a reply to one person, but it isnt aimed at one person.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Intel Q6600 @ 2.8GHz
    Motherboard
    Evga NF78-CK-132-A 3-Way SLI
    Memory
    8Gb DDR2 Corsair Dominator @ 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 560 GTX SC FTW 1GB
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC888 7.1 Audio, Logitech G35 7.1 Surround Headset
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell S2409W 16:9, HDMi, DVI & VGA
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 7200rpm 250Gb SATA,
    Samsung 7200rpm 750Gb SATA,
    WD 7200rpm 1TB SCSI SATA.
    PSU
    Xigmatek 750W Quad sli quad core 80% eff
    Case
    Antec 900 Gaming Case
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9700-NT NVIDIA Tritium, Dominator RAM cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech generic keyboard
    Mouse
    Razor Lachesis Banshee V2 Blue, 4000DPI
    Internet Speed
    16Mb Sky bb
    Other Info
    Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows, Wireless Xbox 360 Pad, Wireless Xbox 360 Les Paul Guitar
for your information i'm triple booting windows xp pro x64, windows 7 RC x64 and ubuntu 9.04 x64

just try saying "linux" around any average joe and they wont know what your talking about

as with windows 7 i am impressed with there improvement upon vista but it is still far, far away from windows XP

it got around 10-20% less FPS in crysis in both uncontrolled (playing through the first mission) and controlled tests (walking in a strait line, emptying a clip and reloading, blowing up a car) compared to windows XP

it also, like vista, tries to restrict my access to certain folders like the cookies folder as well as documents and settings (why????). whats really pathetic is that i can get to them through command prompt. after some looking around i found a permission that denied "everyone" the abillity to "view folder contents/access"

WTF??? WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD THAT BE THERE????????????? WHY WOULD MY OWN OPERATING SYSTEM PREVENT ME (AN ADMINISTRATOR) ACCESS TO MY OWN FILES ON MY OWN COMPUTER????????

i found the action center very annoying and pointless (though i like how its confined compared to vista)

disk defragmenter was very slow to launch and to defrag (like 30 secs to launch and forever to defrag a 1% fragmented 320 gig drive) this could just be a bug though

the list could go on and on and on....

and on

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    jetway HA07, 790GX
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280X1024
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    585 watt