access folder on external drive

Hi,

After many months of futile attempts to clean up "bad" files on my external shared drive, files and folders that I could not change or delete, I have finally had success.
My stepson who is a computer whiz came to visit and provided this solution:
He defined a administrative user in Windows exactly equal to the owner of folders on the the external drive that I could not manage- (EXTERNALDRIVE\admin). Other owners; (Unix User\nobody) and (EXTERNALDRIVE\everyone were OK I could manipulate them -move delete etc..He made this owner - admin - part of WORKGROUP using the Western Digital user interface. With this ID he copied the folders with bad files to a temp folder, deleted the bad folder and renamed the temp folder to the name of the original folder. That corrected the bad owners and provided write access where I previously had only read access.
He had no thought on how the ownership got corrupted by ROBOCOPY but I am very happy with his solution.
I post this in the hope that it may help others.

My Computer

Frank
On behalf of the Forum, thank you so very much for taking the time to help others. What you have done is the very foundation of the forum. Rest assured that your effort will help help others. Please, come back with any future poblems or solutions that you can provide.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam