Adobe Flash: The Silent Privacy Killer

Flash Cookies: The Silent Privacy Killer

There are hundreds of applications out there from spyware cleaners to built-in browser features that eliminate cookies on the spot, and even let you set cookie policies on your computer regarding what can be stored in your machine, and for how long. I’m assuming that if you’re here reading this post, you already know all of the dangers of cookies on your computer. In all honesty, I don’t seriously believe that they’re the most dangerous form of movement or web tracking, but they can definitely be used to monitor more movements than a person should feel comfortable with.
What if there was a type of cookie that could:

• Stay on your computer for an unlimited amount of time
  • Store 100 kb of data by default, with an unlimited max
  • Couldn’t be deleted by your browser
  • Send previous visit information and history, by default, without your permission
Okay… That’s a pretty scary cookie. As it is right now, the cookies we’re so deadly afraid of can store a maximum of 4 kb of information, are manage by your browser, and by default have reasonable defaults and restrictions.
This type of cookie exists on 98% of global computers, across all operating systems. it’s the Adobe Flash Player.

The Adobe Flash Player maintains proprietary cookies called Local Shared Objects or LSO’s. LSO’s are capable of storing 100 kb’s of information for an indefinite amount of time by default. When you clear your browser history in Internet Explorer, Firefox or Opera on Windows, Linux, or OS X LSO’s are not cleared from Adobe’s local repository.
In fact, all the information in those cookies will remain indefinitely until they’re removed by the issuing website, or by you via a cumbersome and ridiculous process.
Unfortunately, I haven’t even explained the worst of it.
There’s no easy way to tell what sites are using flash cookies to track your movements. There’s no list, and there doesn’t have to be a flash GUI or visible application for flash cookies to be present. In fact, most websites using flash for user tracking don’t create GUI’s, toolbars, or applications that you can actually see in your browser while browsing the site.
Many times a tiny flash module, 2 kb in size or less is loaded into your browser on every page visit in the same way a gif, jpg or other image is. The whole purpose of this tiny, invisible flash module might be to simply record the page request, and your username or other session variables.
Alright, so now you’re sufficiently convinced that this is creepy stuff. Let’s talk about how to get rid of it?
Lame as it might be, the Flash Player has no ability to delete cookies. And as I’ve already said, your browser can’t help you out. It doesn’t even know these cookies exist! Most of the privacy settings for Adobe Flash have be accessed via a flash application on Adobe’s website called the Adobe Flash Player Settings Manager.
If you want to access the Settings Manager, you can do so here. In fact, open it up now and let’s take a look.
If you’ve clicked the link above, then you’re looking at the Flash Player Settings Manager, and a list of all the sites currently storing information on the cookies stored on your computer.
Looking at my list, I see over 100 websites that have been accessing the same cookie for the last year (the last time I formatted my computer). Some of them are storing only 1kb of information, some are storing the full 100 kb’s. On my own computer, I see that my bank is storing flash information despite the fact that there isn’t a single flash application visible when I log in to check my balance. I see Youtube, CNN, Microsoft, Rotten Tomatoes and a ton more!
To delete all the Flash Cookies currently being stored on your machine:

1. Go to the Settings Manager (Website Storage Settings)
  2. Go to the far-right tab
  3. Click “Delete all sites”
To prevent websites from storing any more information on your computer:

1. Go to Settings Manager
  2. Click the Second Tab from the left (Global Storage Settings)
  3. Set the Storage Settings slider to None
  4. Uncheck “Allow Third Party Flash Content to store data on your computer
There are several other “privacy” settings on the other tabs, but don’t be persuaded. Most of those privacy settings have to do with whether or not websites can access your microphone and webcam. There isn’t a single cookie option on any of the privacy tabs on the Settings Manager.
Adobe, as a global leader in browser technology (a 98% computer market share), has a responsibility to make Privacy Options easily accessible from within the Player application itself. They also have a responsibility to set reasonble default limitations. It’s ridiculous that they would enable websites to store cookies indefinitely, and in such large sizes.

I’m A Super.com » Flash Cookies: The Silent Privacy Killer

Thank you echarda, it was just as you said. I had no idea.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Fry's
    CPU
    AMD Atholon 64x2DualCore 5200+
    Motherboard
    abit NF-M2 nView(C51PVMCP51)
    Memory
    4,096 Standard DIMM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache
    Sound Card
    on board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gatway 24" HD wide screen display
    Screen Resolution
    1920/1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 320Gb 7200rpm sata 3.0Gbs x2
    Keyboard
    Microsoft wireless entertainment Keyboard 7000
    Mouse
    Logiteck cordless optical TrackMan
    Internet Speed
    DSL
Thanks... I never knew about this! ;)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 920
    Motherboard
    Intel DX58SO
    Memory
    6GB PC3 12800 DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus 9800GTX+ 512MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 917Vx
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Western Digital Cavair Black
    320GB Seagate Barracuda
    250GB Western Digital My Passport
    PSU
    Antec EA650 650W ATX12V
    Case
    Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
    Internet Speed
    20MB down / 5MB up (Fios)
None whatsoever.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 5920gmi notebook
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2.00GHz
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800 x 4294967296 colors
    Internet Speed
    crawl
I checked it out and followed the instructions. I'll play around on it for a few days then check it out to see if anything gets loaded on the site. Looks like an excellent tip!

My Computer

Hi guys.

First, thanks a lot for this tip!

Regarding this,
I just want to mention that for firefox, there is an Add-on called "Better Privacy" that is supposed to do this job as well without changing anything in the settings of the OS.

Of course, if you do not use firefox as your default browser, you should follow the descriptions above to avoid those nasty cookies. On the other hand, the Add-on should work on all OS supporting firefox.

Elsevier

My Computer

Thanks for the help, I really had no idea that there were so many sites being stored, many of which I hadn't even gone into, yes this site should go as a sticky, thanks again

My Computer

You are all welcome glad to be of help.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 5920gmi notebook
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2.00GHz
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800 x 4294967296 colors
    Internet Speed
    crawl
Hi guys.

First, thanks a lot for this tip!

Regarding this,
I just want to mention that for firefox, there is an Add-on called "Better Privacy" that is supposed to do this job as well without changing anything in the settings of the OS.

Of course, if you do not use firefox as your default browser, you should follow the descriptions above to avoid those nasty cookies. On the other hand, the Add-on should work on all OS supporting firefox.

Elsevier

Thanks Elsevier! I just added the "Better Privacy" add-on, and have already deleted the cookies on Adobe Flash. So far, no problems.

My Computer

What about those site using acrobat. it is from adobe also. I understand that new PDF can do data entry....
It that programmer use cookie and....

My Computer

WOW! Thanks a ton!! I'm posting this link to my Facebook Page!!!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion dv3510nr
    CPU
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz, 2
    Memory
    4G
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SynchMaster2300sw
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800x60hz
    Hard Drives
    WD MyBookHome 1T external
    Internet Speed
    Fast yo
Thanks for the wake up. I downloaded this program today as trial ware and found even after removing the cookies @ the web page shown here for Adobe there was more sneaky stuff they don't show you that was left.

MAXA Tools - Security Software is the link to download and you will see 4 yourself. I kinda might buy the real version from what I saw.
Looks good and for more than Adobe Klingon's!!!

Giver a try!!!!

My Computer

Thanks echrada. Crazy stuff. I though I had all the cookies off my computer... I was WRONG *gasP*

~Lordbob

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5QC
    Memory
    2x2GB
    Graphics Card(s)