Aero colour scheme literally IMPOSSIBLE to turn off

roddycordeir

When I open MediaMonkey the screen sort of flashes and Vista (I'm on Home Basic 32 bit) tells me that it has had to switch off the Aero Colour scheme because Media Monkey is not compatible with it. I close MediaMonkey and the screen flashes again and re-switches to Aero colour scheme. So far so good.

To avoid this, I went into Control Panel - Appearance - Change the colour scheme to leave the colour scheme at Vista Basic permanently. (Weirdly enough, the Aero Colour scheme isn't even an option, only Vista Basic and Standard so why is it defaulting to Aero?). I set it to Vista Basic, apply save etc, open MediaMonkey and we're back to the start, it says it has had to switch off Vista Aero. But I just did that...

No clue as what to do, so any ideas gratefully received. Could it be something to do with the registry?

Thanks!

Roddy

My Computer

Vista home basic doesnt have Aero , im not sure what that program is referring to it all seems very odd , does that program have its own help forums?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 @ 4Gig / Titan Fenir
    Motherboard
    XFX 780i
    Memory
    4GB OCZ PC2-8500C5 DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gainward GTX260/216 SLI
    Sound Card
    Creative X-FI Xtreme Gamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell UltraSharp 2209WA 22"
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    western digital raptor 10000rpm sata
    PSU
    OCZ Modstream 700w
    Cooling
    Titan Fenir
    Keyboard
    Razer Reclusa
    Mouse
    Logitech G5 Gamer
    Internet Speed
    8mb
it is a little confusing, but from what i've read (and know, as the computer i'm on now runs home basic), home basic does have aero. the difference between the aero on home basic and home premium is that home premium has the aero glass effect, while home basic does not. aero is simply the desktop composition component of vista that gives you the cursor and icon shodows, window shadows, etc.

go to start button > right click computer > select properties > select Advanced system settings > click continue on uac prompt. the top section "performance," push the settings button. click the radio button "adjust for best performance" or select which visual settings you want to disable.

another way is this: you can go to services and select "desktop window manager session manager," stop the service, then disable it to keep you at vista basic all the time. or, if you don't mind the old windows style (pre-xp), you can go into services and disable "themes."

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Garage PC
    CPU
    Intel Pentium E3300 @ 2.5GHz
    Motherboard
    BioStar G41-M7
    Memory
    A-Data PC2-6400 (2 X 2GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Diamond Radeon HD 4650
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP Mx705 (CRT)
    Screen Resolution
    1152x864
    Hard Drives
    320 GB Hitachi - System Drive /
    100 GB Maxtor - Diagnostic Application /
    PSU
    LOGISYS PS480E12 480W
    Case
    Generic Barebones Case
    Cooling
    Stock Intel HSF
    Keyboard
    Generic PS/2
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    10 d / 1 u
Hey, thanks for your replies.

MP, your suggestion worked a treat, it basically switched it to Windows classic and then I changed it to Vista Home Basic through Personalise.

Thanks again!

My Computer

Back