ALC889A, Vista x64, Speaker Fill = rear speakers distorted

I have a similar problem, but not sure what to do.

I recently bought a new computer - GB ep45-ds3p mobo with vista 64 ultimate.

My problem is all my speakers are muffled and dont really play any sounds well,especially the woofer.
Ive got vista 64 ultimate, with the realtek HD audio manager, audio driver version 6.0.1.5672 (latest from realtek) codec - ALC 889A.

I have standard logitech 5.1 speakers, but I can only get sound from the back 2 speakers if I use 7.1 speaker configuration. But even then it's still muffled.

I dont have an option on my realtek HD Audio manager that says 'speaker fill' so Im not sure if that would fix it or not. I do have 'optional speakers' or 'full range speakers' but no 'speaker fill' option. No combination of options ticked or unticked that I can see seem to get the 5.1 speakers to work normally.

Do I need to try older realtek drivers? Or do I need to wait for Realtek to release a driver update that works for me?

Would installing a separate sound card work?

Thanks for any help.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    e8500
    Motherboard
    gigabyte s series EP45-DS3P
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Geforce 8800GT
I added Creative Audigy LE to my system. It has resolved my problem. I am using my roommates computer which is dual monitor dual soundcard system. He is using the onboard Realtek ALC888T and sennheisser HD280 Pro while I am using audigy LE with Creative T6060. I have also found problem with Creative EAX Console. Sometimes the WMP11 outputs through all speakers and sometimes it doesn't (using cmss3d). I have klite mega codec pack installed and 64bit klite codec pack. I have also found that some features like volume boost in mpc and mixer functions in ffdshow audio don't work sometimes. Sometimes restart fixed the problem. Everything is fine in XP PRo 32bit and Fedora 9. Waiting for xonar to be launched in India. I am not having internet connection in the hostel room I am living in. So has this issue been fixed?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Assembled
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus P5Q Pro
    Memory
    2*2GB DDR2 800Mhz Transcend JetRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX280 OC
    Sound Card
    Creative XFi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell E228WFP 22"
    Screen Resolution
    1680*1050
    Hard Drives
    1TB RAID0 - WD5000AAKS *2
    320GB WD Passport
    PSU
    Corsair 650TX
    Case
    Cooler Master cm690
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000
    Mouse
    Razer Diamondback with Goliathus omega Control Edition
    Internet Speed
    512kbps ADSL
The only way I can get sound out of my rear speakers is to select an Environment under Sound Effects in the Realtek HD Audio control panel. The sound was working fine yesterday (fresh install) without an environment selected. The only down side to this is it adds a bunch of reverb and muddles the sound. I am running on a GA-EP54T-DS3R, using the drivers downloaded from the realtek site. www.realtek.com

In my opinion I shouldn't have to select an environment to get the sound out of the rear speakers. very frustrating.

Hope this sheds some light for someone.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Homebrew
    CPU
    Q6600
    Motherboard
    GA-EP45T-DS3R
    Memory
    4Gb Patriot
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 9800 GT
    Sound Card
    onboard Realtek
Just bumping this for an update.

The problem still exists. I recently added an additional 4GB of RAM and a 1TB drive so I did a fresh repartition and decided to stick Vista x64 back on to make use of the RAM and cause I just like it a little better than XP now that the bugs are mostly worked out.

I got the newest drivers for everything, including the version 2.11 or something like that off Realtek's site. So yeah the problem is still there. I finally decided to put my X-Fi Xtreme Gamer back in as I really value my speaker fill surround for music, and my Logitech's Matrix mode for some reason doesn't work properly with some of the frequencies in a lot of songs I have. Also I can't stand anything but proper 5.1 surround in LOTRO and the software mode just doesn't cut it.

Actually had a bit of a scare as the system wasn't seeing the X-Fi and the drivers wouldn't install.. Even tried changing slots.. Dunno if they need to be air blasted or what but reseating it by pulling it halfway out and then pushing it back in finally fixed the issue.

3D Soundback doesn't work properly with LOTRO either, as it hangs at a black screen when exiting or sometimes loading, and Alchemy outright makes it crash on startup, lol.. Good thing it uses OpenAL I guess.. Hopefully any outstanding game bugs won't rear their ugly heads.

My Computer

@Zach
Dude try the new drivers for xtreme gamer. They have finally added dts and dolby digital decoding at hardware level feature in vista. Till now it worked only on XP. Tell me if everything is fine. Are you facing any stuttering cracle pop noise problem everyone else seems to be facing with it?
I am right now using x fi titanium 4gb ram and 1 tb raid0. I heard vista64 and 4gb or more RAM gives serious issues to the user. No problems yet.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Assembled
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus P5Q Pro
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX280 OC
    Sound Card
    Creative XFi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell E228WFP 22"
    Screen Resolution
    1680*1050
    Hard Drives
    320GB WD Passport
    PSU
    Corsair 650TX
    Case
    Cooler Master cm690
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    512kbps ADSL
So far everything is going well with my X-Fi.. been through a few on/off cycles and it hasn't pulled a ninja disappearing act on me yet. Using the latest official drivers, LOTRO works great, have my hardware surround and EAX effects. Although I admit the hardware sound with this card is a lot different in terms of some of the volumes (even with the same settings) and way some effects play, versus hardware sound in XP on my Realtek chipset. Either way I'm getting used to it. No crashing or horrible problems like people have historically complained about with LOTRO & X-Fi's so maybe creative put out stable drivers for once.

My Computer

I have been browsing and found out from other forums that this is problem with speaker fill feature of Vista. Other sound cards are having the same problem with speaker fill. So some sound card manfucaturers have provided xp type speaker fill feature in their own mixer which directs sound to all speakers instead of doing any echo and reverb sh** like vista.

Was this ever fixed? , i can't listen to my rears like this :cry:

My Computer

@Neilsouth
Get a cheap creative soundcard with cmss3d or check if any xonar is compatible with your motherboard and get it and put channels to 2 in the console. Beats Realtek onboard totally.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Assembled
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus P5Q Pro
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX280 OC
    Sound Card
    Creative XFi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell E228WFP 22"
    Screen Resolution
    1680*1050
    Hard Drives
    320GB WD Passport
    PSU
    Corsair 650TX
    Case
    Cooler Master cm690
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    512kbps ADSL
@Neilsouth
Get a cheap creative soundcard with cmss3d or check if any xonar is compatible with your motherboard and get it and put channels to 2 in the console. Beats Realtek onboard totally.

I have a cheap creative "xtreme audio" but well the performance sucked with it in vista gaming yet the audio quality was Impressive!. The realtek HD gaming performance was great nice and smooth but rear speaker distortion was crap in music (speaker fill). I'm now using windows 7 but the "xtreme audio" doesn't work with cmss so im using realtek hd , but still the distortion sucks. I'm going to save up for an xtreme music or something :D

Btw i got my music working without distortion ( sound quality isn't brilliant though )

Clipboard02.jpg

My Computer

I'm not sure about the Xtreme Music, but I'm pretty sure the Xtreme audio is a fake software Xfi with no hardware acceleration whatsoever. I seem to remember a lot of confusion about that when they first came out..

I'd just go with an Xtreme Gamer to be safe. Well, until Creative decides it's time to force us to upgrade and starts crippling our hardware through drivers... AGAIN :mad:

My Computer

I just recently upgraded from 2GB to 4GB of RAM on my Vista x64 box and started having sound issues playing Netflix. The sound would crackle and cut out watching videos. At first I though it was a connection issue, but tried WMP and noticed some distortion playing certain mp3s and a little random crackle noise in the background. Re-installing the sound drivers fixed the cutting out, but some mp3s still have a little muffling and distortion. Has there been any real proof that this is indeed a problem isolated to Vista x64 PCs with 4GB of RAM?

My Computer

damn it!!
windows 7 also has the same speaker fill.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Assembled
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus P5Q Pro
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX280 OC
    Sound Card
    Creative XFi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell E228WFP 22"
    Screen Resolution
    1680*1050
    Hard Drives
    320GB WD Passport
    PSU
    Corsair 650TX
    Case
    Cooler Master cm690
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    512kbps ADSL
I sent the feedback. I told em about vista too and how it sucks compared to xp and pulseaudio in linux. Anyways this will no longer be a problem for me. I will buy a x-fi titanium next week after checking its compatibility with windows 7.
Windows 7 has improved audio by reducing latency avg and standard deviation. So less chance of skip,crackle pop problem of creative sound cards.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Assembled
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus P5Q Pro
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX280 OC
    Sound Card
    Creative XFi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell E228WFP 22"
    Screen Resolution
    1680*1050
    Hard Drives
    320GB WD Passport
    PSU
    Corsair 650TX
    Case
    Cooler Master cm690
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    512kbps ADSL
That Speaker Fill option works remarcably similar with Dolby Prologic 2 Music 5.1 upmixer..i i guess it`s quite an advanced feature instead of crappy drivers.
Could be the biggest thing for audio in vista

My Computer

wahey, old thread bumpage :p

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Intel Q6600 @ 2.8GHz
    Motherboard
    Evga NF78-CK-132-A 3-Way SLI
    Memory
    8Gb DDR2 Corsair Dominator @ 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 560 GTX SC FTW 1GB
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC888 7.1 Audio, Logitech G35 7.1 Surround Headset
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell S2409W 16:9, HDMi, DVI & VGA
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 7200rpm 250Gb SATA,
    Samsung 7200rpm 750Gb SATA,
    WD 7200rpm 1TB SCSI SATA.
    PSU
    Xigmatek 750W Quad sli quad core 80% eff
    Case
    Antec 900 Gaming Case
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9700-NT NVIDIA Tritium, Dominator RAM cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech generic keyboard
    Mouse
    Razor Lachesis Banshee V2 Blue, 4000DPI
    Internet Speed
    16Mb Sky bb
    Other Info
    Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows, Wireless Xbox 360 Pad, Wireless Xbox 360 Les Paul Guitar
Back