Bad BCD, now it wont boot to install CD for repair?

It appears I may have been on the wrong track with my last post. I've finally resolved the problem on my system and the solution was a surprise. I have three different HDDs that I use with my Laptop with different OSs on each one. The reason I couldn't find the source of the problem at first was because one of my basic assumptions was faulty. The assumption I'm referring to is the belief that when booting from DVD, that the HDD could NOT be the source of the problem. This assumption turned out to be false. When I tried to boot from DVD with either of the other two HDDs installed, I was able to boot perfectly fine. It was only when I had my primary HDD, the one with Vista x64, installed that the boot from DVD would "Hang" right after the horizontal bar animation went away and before the Vista Login Screen would load. I tried this several times with each of the drives to verify I had the right answer. It appears something failed on my primary drive in such a way that it would try to take control of the IDE channel durring this phase of the boot process. Why it would do so at this point, after the DVD had already begun to load is a mystery to me; but this did turn out to be the real problem.

If your optical drive is on the same IDE channel as your primary system drive, I would check the jumper settings or try replacing the drive. You should still be able to get your data off of it by placing it on the IDE channel that your optical drive is not on.

Sorry about the Red Herring earlier on.

-John

My Computer

Back