Call of Duty 4 Installation error*

oh, thats too bad!
But mate, do you think this would help me? :)
And IF im going to search on google for this, do you have an example to search for :)

Haha, Thanks Archie! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Fijutsu Siemens Laptop
    CPU
    1,87 GHz
    Memory
    2 GB Ram
    Graphics Card(s)
    Ati Radeon XPRESS 200M series
maybe you should first check if there are scratches or scrapes on the disk

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo e4500 OC
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    Corsair 2x1gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX 9800gtx+
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 19"
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 1024
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 320gb
    PSU
    Rosewill 500w
    Case
    Rosewill TU-155 Mid Tower
    Cooling
    3 80mm fans & side vent
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Other Info
    my comp isn't that good
Hey Kristoffer, ive had the exact problem and many others are having this problem aswell and its Vistas fault not the disk i assure you that... now i did get my CoD4 to work but its not easy and you may have to retry a few times but eventualy it will install properly, hopefully for you 1st time.

Ok here we go, and before i start i recommend that you turn off your PC for an hour or so, it strangly helps the installation to run much better for some and me inc.

1. Go to your computer where you should see the CoD4 in your DVD drive.
2. Right click on the CoD4 disk then click on Explore.
3. Now you should see a folder named Setup, double click on that then open up the data folder then open the main folder.
4. Now the problem is the Video folder, put your cursor over the folder and give it a few seconds to tell you how much is in that folder if it says its empty or hasnt shown how much is in there right click on the video folder and go to properties it should say that its roughly 799megs in size.
5. After that... close properties and refresh your page and open up the video folder hopefully it will have 20 or so sub white Bik files in there if not then sadly you will have to restart your computer and restart this process again.
6. When you eventaly see 20 or so folders in the video folder then try installing CoD4... it should install but it can end up with that blasted error message again so if that happens you need to repeat the whole process again.

Good luck!

My Computer

Hey PhilENG09!
Im going to follow your excellent guide and Ill do it step by step,
So I have one question for you mate what did you mean with "step 5 "
5. .. it will have 20 or so sub white Bik files in there..

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Fijutsu Siemens Laptop
    CPU
    1,87 GHz
    Memory
    2 GB Ram
    Graphics Card(s)
Those 20 Bik files are like data files, and i just double checked and theres around 50+ of those files in the video folder... anyway aslong as the Video folder has some files in it then you should proceed with the installation.

I got to say mate its like pot luck trying to get this blasted game to install on Vista, whoever made Windows Vista should be put in prison lol its that bad.

My Computer

Hahaha, yea Vista is an dissapointment for some people out there mate, me also sometimes. Well windows is going to realease a new version, "Windows 7" Maybe it will be better than Vista, cuz Vista wasnt really a..excellent version or something.
Anyway ill try it now!

First edit: video folder , when I put my cursor over it it says "bigger than 4,76mb" I click on properties it is 1,23gb sometimes it changes to 4gb i dont know why.So I refreshed and I have now like 20 - 30 files inside it. Im going to try to install the game.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Fijutsu Siemens Laptop
    CPU
    1,87 GHz
    Memory
    2 GB Ram
    Graphics Card(s)
So how did it go? im guessing the error kept popping up... if it did i have one more suggestion for you, post if you would like too try it out.

My Computer

Ops xD I forgot to make an other edit ;D

Well..like you said, the error kept poppin' up mate :/

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Fijutsu Siemens Laptop
    CPU
    1,87 GHz
    Memory
    2 GB Ram
    Graphics Card(s)
Like i said its a bloody nightmare... this is my last suggestion for you after that im all out of ideas.

Ok 1st of all restart your computer n let your computer load up etc and start the installation of CoD4... again :huh: , now when that error pops up open your cd/dvd drive give it five seconds or so and then close it again.

After that click on retry and see if it loads up any files, give this about 5 trys if it loads up any files then you can continue this process 'may take some time tho'. If no files load up in those 5 trys i suggest getting Windows 7 or even downgrading to XP... im even thinking of this because im having trouble operating vista its a pile of crap.

Good luck.

My Computer

Well, that seems reasonable, But what do you mean "if it loads up some files" :)

Well this is an laptop so I think Vista is totally okay with it :) You know, work with it, like making school works on Word etc. But anyways its still a disapointment for many of the people out there, including me. But when I bought this laptop, its kinda new. Bought it 2008 around christmas time. So I dont know if its an good idea too downgrade it or anything,p xD

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Fijutsu Siemens Laptop
    CPU
    1,87 GHz
    Memory
    2 GB Ram
    Graphics Card(s)
Like for example usualy in the bottom left you see the game installing with the green bar and everything and youll see all the different types of files being installed n that, and suddenly it stops on a certain file and that error pops up etc and you click on retry a dozen times and it still stays stuck on that file.

Now when you open your dvd/cd drive when that error occurs and then close it n click on retry with some luck you should see a few more files loading up, but it may stop again with that error so you can try and open up your drive again close and repeat the process etc until you are past the worst of it.

Thats what i meant about when you see files loading abit 'hopefully', i hear ye about not downgrading... its completly up to you but you may have this problem alot with other games and programs n with the new CoD modern warfare coming out soon im hoping to have a system that can actual install games instead of messing about.

Edit; this is probaly the best link to visit about this issue, has alot more suggestions on how to solve this tricky issue.

http://battletracker.com/forum/call...rob-hangs-on-install-at-scoutsniper-load-bik/

My Computer

Ok Ill try it, thank you very much mate. I understand it perfectly now! Ill try it right away tomorrow or when I get the time Thank you so much!! :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Fijutsu Siemens Laptop
    CPU
    1,87 GHz
    Memory
    2 GB Ram
    Graphics Card(s)
This is what I just did to fix all of my install errors with COD 4 MW. I installed and at first error I copied all of the files from the folder of the disc that the error occurred in (file type) and pasted them into the activision folder of the same name on my hard drive. then I hit retry of ignore. Or R, or I. It will do this for every file so I just held down I. Then if a file has a read error from a different folder I repeat this process.

I tried to install this game 7 times over the last 4 months using all of the tricks I could find in the forums. This idea just came to me since I realized that the drive was having read problems for the .iwd and .bik files. I figured if the install created the folder then at the first error i pasted the needed files it would see they already exist and alert or skip them. Well, it alerted me with a copy error and I ignored all of them and the install finished.

My Computer

Back