Memory
    4GB DDR3-1066Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9300M GS and Intel X4500M HD
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba MK3252GSX 320GB (5400 rpm)
I just finished with tonights session with windows---they set my computer back from 4.5 to 4.0 and guess what that did not work either, I almost wish I would have ignored the blasted update. Microsoft is supposed to get back with me Mon as I have a full weekend planned. Windows rep decided my Office program is corrupt, I will let you know how the next session goes.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP m8020n
    CPU
    Intel (R) Core (TM) 2cpu
    Memory
    4 gig
tonights session---I find out the tech last night did not set my computer back to 4.0.
Anyway the tech tonight uninstalled vista sp2, which put my computer back to 4.0 and then microsoft sp2 installed and kb970012 also installed. according to him vista sp2 will install itself on next update. I AM NOW DOING MENTAL CARTWHEELS (the only kind I can do)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP m8020n
    CPU
    Intel (R) Core (TM) 2cpu
    Memory
    4 gig
ACTION : You were trying to install office update.
RESULT : You were unable to do so.
CAUSE : The version of Windows Installer does not support the update.
RESOLUTION : We rolled back the Windows Installer 4.5 to 4.0

this was part of email they sent me-----read above post

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP m8020n
    CPU
    Intel (R) Core (TM) 2cpu
    Memory
    4 gig
Re: Cannot install Junk Email Filter KB970012 / problem repeats with KB971933

I had the same problem with this KB, and solved it by rolling back to Vista SP1, installed the update, and then re-installed Vista SP2 again.

The problem is, there is a new junk mail filter update released yesterday, KB971933, and I have the same problem again. Looks like MS haven't solved the problem.

I will now try the same trick and see if it works again.

My Computer

Yes, the trick worked. So it is clearly a compatibility problem between the outlook 2007 junk mail filter updates and the 4.5 installer.

My Computer

Glad to hear, and thanks for detailed explanation. However, how do I downgrade to WI v4.0? Do I download it as a separate installer, or I need to uninstall SP2? It's kind of big annoy if I need to uninstall/reinstall SP2 for every Office update. BTW, new Junk Email filter also didn't work for me (but at least now I know why).

Thanks,
Miki

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sony Vaio Z590
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo P9500 2.53GHz
    Memory
    4GB DDR3-1066Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9300M GS and Intel X4500M HD
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba MK3252GSX 320GB (5400 rpm)
If you uninstall Vista SP2 and go back to SP1, you will have WI 4.0. Install the filter, and then re-install SP2. After that, run windows update to update all the post-SP2 Vista updates that would have been uninstalled when you removed SP2.

My Computer

I have not re-installed sp2 on vista yet--so all my other updates are installing just fine.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP m8020n
    CPU
    Intel (R) Core (TM) 2cpu
    Memory
    4 gig
Back