Solved Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window.

Thank you for sharing SAV, I'm going to make a note of your valuable information, My computer actually worked with Shor's help. I did it twice, though (:, but it worked instantly !!!:) Greetings.
BTW, it was because of the research I had to do to resolve this outlook error that I've joined this forum. Thank you so very much,

My Computer

I also had/have a simllar problem with Outlook 2003 and then Outlook 2007, and for me the solution is to go to run (Start / All Programs / Accessories / Run) and type outlook /recycle and enter and Outlook opens. Nothing else works - no shortcuts and not even clicking on the outlook.exe executable in the Program Files folder! I haven't tried the above solution as it's not really any different (and the switch is longer) and this one works. For anyone where that one doesn't work, try giving this one a try. Frankly I was stunned it worked, have no idea why it and only it works, and have sought a solution to the icon problem for more than a year with no success (and I DID try just about every possible answer short of a clean install). I even have an open thread here but have had no replies as of yet - I imagine everyone else is stumped too.

Incidentally, for those who prefer easier access to Run in Vista (not as easy as XP but close), it is typically on the right side of the start menu unless you changed it to search or don't have it selected (or haven't installed SP1 - which you really should do along with the rest of the updates including SP2 as well). To select it, right click on the Start Orb and click properties and click customize next to start menu and check the box for Run. If it isn't there but Search is there instead, here's an article on how to replace the search button with the run button if that is what you'd prefer (it's not the title of the article which actually is how to do the opposite, but the procdedure is included): http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/145787-search-start-menu-button-restore-after-sp1.html.

I hope this helps those who aren't by the above procedure and answers the run question I saw posted but never answered.

Good luck!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inc. MP061 Inspiron E1705
    CPU
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory
    Motherboard
    Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479 Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    Memory
    2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Di
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Chassis Serial Number: 5YK95C1
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1958 Kbps download ; 754.8 Kbps upload
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Dell AIO Printer A940

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

6TO4 Adapter
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Router Linksys / WRT54G -01
Sure I have the fix. Go to run and type outlook.exe/ resetnavpane

Dear Shor, Your reply helped me to help my friends too, you're truly amazing! I wish all of us who benefit from your reply could rate you 100 STARS!!!:)

My Computer

First of all this error has nothing to do with Vista SP 2. I had the error long before I ran SP 2. It is really quite simple to fix.
Go to run and type outlook.exe/resetnavpane :D

I may be a newbie here but its not my first rodeo. Enjoy

thanks :) office repair didn't work and thought i'd lost it forever!

also, i registered just to boost your 'power rating' however i've no idea how to do it sorry!

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    e7200 @ 3.02
    Motherboard
    Asus PK5E-WiFi
    Memory
    8gb ocz 4x2gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    4850 passive
    Monitor(s) Displays
    acer 1721
    Hard Drives
    Intel 80gb SSD
    PSU
    stealth x stream 400w
    Case
    antec solo
    Cooling
    air
Read my signature for the procedure - but check the button on shor's post if that's the one that helped you and he's the one you want to reward.

Glad to hear the workaround worked. The one in my prior post (similar but using a different switch) worked for me as I have pretty much the same problem myself - but if this is working for you no need to check out the other option as it's pretty much the same (though it may help some where shor's solution for some reason doesn't work - I saw at least one post where someone said it didn't work).

Good luck and best wishes.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inc. MP061 Inspiron E1705
    CPU
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory
    Motherboard
    Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479 Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    Memory
    2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Di
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Chassis Serial Number: 5YK95C1
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1958 Kbps download ; 754.8 Kbps upload
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Dell AIO Printer A940

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

6TO4 Adapter
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Router Linksys / WRT54G -01
Thanks very much to sleadrider!!! I joined the forum so that I could fix this exact issue, outlook wouldn't open at all, just kept giving me a weird error. I typed your suggestion into run and it now works perfectly! Thanks so much for solving the problem before I asked the question!

My Computer

Back