Cant find my hard disk in disk manager

Check Cables, make sure they are connected
Try different cables,if available.
Go to device manger (type that in search) and make sure that drivers are up to date and no yellow warning markers show.

Right click on My Computer and select Manage. On the following screen, click on Disk Management. In the tool bar, click on Action and then Rescan Disks.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Chears rich. Done all above, Also the machene is practically new so cables and all that should be fine.
I am thinking that maybe there is a drive letter conflict because when using Win7 my programms are on (F) but in XP they are in (G) So I'm thinking that this might be causing confusion or maybe it is a survival instinced built into windows to provent users from changing the (C) OS or (D) OS drives, what do you think?

My Computer

I wonder if I go into command promt in windows 7 and change drive (F) to (G) It might resolve the conflict. would you know the correct syntax for that?

My Computer

That may have helped rich but as i said i cant access the hdd from disk manager, however i did go into startup recovery mode on the installation cd and enterd diskpart from the command prompt, assigned drive (F) to (G) and all compleated successfully, list volume confirmed all was ok and that my hdd was working fine however after restarting the system windows reassigned the drive to (F) and has hidden them again in disk manager. Although its frustrating I have at least found that it is within windows that the trouble is occuring and that my hardwhare is ok. So if i use dos to create a system image to backup my system i can live without disk manager. Thanks for all your help mate.

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Its day 3 and the plot thickens. Windows update and security essentials cant connect to the internet and yet my connection is working fine on everything else. This smells of a viral infection. Time to format I think.

My Computer

Run your antivirus
Download and run malwarebytes. Update and run full scan.
If positive our security people will help
Dont format, yet.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card