Changing the drive lettering in numerous shortcut's properties

FYI -

While I got the program to finally work, I'm surmising that the workaround (at least for me) was most likely not a permissions issue. As my initial error denoting only the "system volume information" folder was undoubtedly an issue due to it's containing (at least as far as I'm concerned) useless restore point files, ie; I don't use SR on my EHD's, but the mindless MS SR will turn itself on for EHD, seemingly for no particular reason and of course never any notice that it's doing so (which totally screws up any chances of ever using SR on the C drive, ie; because SR will fail unless all drives present when RP's are made must be online and all the russian roulette assigned drive letters must be the same as they were when the RP's were made, otherwise even trying to use SR on the C drive will fail and as usual, without any explanation.

Anyway, once I turned off SR (properly removing all the 'uselessly' made RP's in the EHD's 'sys vol info' folder, then I tried your program again.

That time it failed with an error involving the EHD's Recycler\S-1-blah-blah-blah file. And the 'fix' there was to use File Unlocker and move the that (otherwise undelete-able) folder to an off drive location. Of note, to be safe, I restored that folder after using your program.

Again, as soon as I removed the RP's and worked around the problematic Recycler's 'user file', the program worked just fine.

Although I did 'jump thru hoops' quite a bit trying to follow your workarounds (file permissions), I really don't thing that had anything to do with the apparent issues that likely are encountered/evidenced while trying to use your program (on a drive that contains protected files like 'sys vol info' and the Recycler's <I'm guessing> 'user folder', as either one of which potentially contain shortcut files, and even if they don't/didn't, likely your program simply can't work past or through these sorts of protected file folders, no?

In any respect, I do appreciate the effort and I hope my comments might be of some usefulness to you and/or others.

My Computer

System One

• Other Info
    DV4 HP Pavilion Notebook & Acer AOA150 Netbook
Niemiro I was wondering if you could rewrite ShortcutUpdater to be able to target specific folders not just the drives this would solve the problem of having errors do to "System Volume Information" or the "RECYCLER" and alow it to run smothly... Thx

My Computer

Hi, by the way, i am not greate as you all, but i really need the program as you all mention up there.

May i know have you done your Shortcut Retargeting Software?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
    CPU
    Core 2 duo
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI
    Sound Card
    Dont know
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
Can somebody tell how I can get a hold of the latest executable or script to resolve this problem?
When I view the Printable version of these pages, I see that there are attachments, but I have not been able to figure how I can download these from here. Can you send them per email or how does that work?

I really need to clean up the shortcuts on my external HD and appreciate getting my hands on the above solution.

Thanks,
EddiB

My Computer

Back