Copying user docs, photos, etc to external HDD

R72

Hi

I did a system restore (back to factory settings, no user data saved) on my girlfriend's laptop yesterday. Before I started the restore I copied all her documents, photos, etc. from her desktop onto an external HDD - this worked fine. I then copied everything under her user folder, i.e. Documents, Contacts, Music, Photos, Videos, etc. to the external HDD - this all seemed to work fine, the copy/paste process did not report any problems.

However I didn't check every subfolder had been copied and have now (unfortunately post-restore) found out that some of the sub folders (specifically the folders which have the blue icon - Documents, Music, etc) under the user folder have not been copied. Strangely the AppData folder has been copied, as have other user-created folders and also the files which resided in the user folder (which were not in sub-folders). It would seem that Vista has decided not to copy these folders for a reason. I was logged in with my girlfriend's account which has admin rights so shouldn't have had a problem with security.

I tried copying the user folder to the external HDD after the restore and it seemed to work ok, unfortunately not when I needed it.

Does anyone have any ideas what could have caused this and whether it can be prevented, for future reference? A long shot but is there anything that can be done - are these folders lurking somewhere on the external HDD but can't be seen?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as she has lost quite a bit of data. I've tried undelete but it seems that the restore format process was very effective!

Thanks in advance,
Richard

My Computer

Welcome Richard
I think that I may have the answer to your problems
System restore does not touch your stuff. It only affects the system. I think that if you use shadow explorer on your HD (internal, not external), you will be able to find and save your stuff.
ShadowExplorer.com - About
I do not know what happened to your stuff, since Restore was not suppose to touch any of it.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam