Diagnostic Policy Service wont start

Those registry values are Log on As, but it may suggest Registry Permissions problems, which could cause this error, and can be easily fixed. Don't get your hopes up though. That network card problem is common, has a specific solution, but I can't post good enough instructions until I get home and remember exactly the setting is.

Richard

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.50GHz
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 3870 (512 MBytes)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 x Dell 2007FP and 1 x (old) Sonic flat screen
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 1200 and 1280 x 1204
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)
    Western Digital: WDC WD6400AAKS-75A7B0

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    Western Digital: Caviar Black, SATA 6GB/S, 64Mb cache, 8ms
    Western Digital: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 ATA Device
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Advent Optical ADE-WG01 (colour change light up)
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
    ASUS USB 3.0 5Gbps/SATA 6Gbps - PCI-Express Combo Controller Card (U3S6)
I am almost positive I have Reg permission problems. If you could help me out on this, that would be fantastic. I believe this all started when I messed with those permissions to begin with. Just lucky nothing else went crazy

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self built home computer
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia
    Sound Card
    On board sound
    Cooling
    Fan
    Internet Speed
    5.14Mbps Download Speed, .65Mbps Upload Speed & 5ms Ping
Oh I am so sorry! Things have become a bit hectic. If I forget you (over about 12 hours of no response) please do end me a Visitor Message or Private Message to remind me. Thanks!

To set the permissions on a registry key (folder) right click on key, select Permissions,

Add > Advanced > Find Now > Double click on Everyone > OK > Check Allow - Full Control for "Everyone" > OK

Right, follow these steps on the following keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\WdiSystemHost
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WdiSystemHost

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\WdiServiceHost

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WdiServiceHost

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\DPS

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DPS

Retry. Thank you so much for the +rep, though I am not very sure I deserve it at this point. Hopefully something good will come out of this post. :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
If the above does not work, how comfortable do you feel with some really complex and difficult instructions?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
Of course you deserve +Rep, you have already tried many times to help me, and I know you are a busy person; I'm not the only one on this forum that needs help ;). Sounds like you got a full plate my friend. I am in no rush

I tried the everyone permissions and nothing has changed. And I do not mind a complicated set of instructions, I will try my best to follow. I'll let you know if I fall behind. Other than that, I'm pretty comfortable that I know what I'm doing.

I should also mention, I haven't done anything too extreme, but I have tried optimizing my computer (though I still think it was my stupidity in messing with permissions, and not any optimization, that got me in this mess to begin with). So some things that I don't need have been disabled such as unnecessary services, unneeded features, some visualizations, User Account Control, etc. I can't say I am absolutely positive, but I've been optimizing this same computer for some time and believe I know what I'm doing. I've researched, I've made mistakes and learned from them. But I could have messed up somewhere along the way, who knows. I suppose we may soon find out.

So this is what I think I did that might have caused this mayhem. I right clicked the C: drive, then Properties, went into Security, and clicked Advanced. I made Administrators (Now I replaced Administrators with Administrator, my log in account name) the Owner and clicked the box that says "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects." I then gave Administrators and Administrator full control and permissions. I can't remember but I think I clicked "ignore all" When it told me some action couldn't be done or something to that effect, after I told it to switch permissions. I should never have touched that, but I didn't know permissions were so fickle.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self built home computer
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia
    Sound Card
    On board sound
    Cooling
    Fan
    Internet Speed
Of course you deserve +Rep, you have already tried many times to help me, and I know you are a busy person; I'm not the only one on this forum that needs help ;). Sounds like you got a full plate my friend. I am in no rush

I tried the everyone permissions and nothing has changed. And I do not mind a complicated set of instructions, I will try my best to follow. I'll let you know if I fall behind. Other than that, I'm pretty comfortable that I know what I'm doing.

I should also mention, I haven't done anything too extreme, but I have tried optimizing my computer (though I still think it was my stupidity in messing with permissions, and not any optimization, that got me in this mess to begin with). So some things that I don't need have been disabled such as unnecessary services, unneeded features, some visualizations, User Account Control, etc. I can't say I am absolutely positive, but I've been optimizing this same computer for some time and believe I know what I'm doing. I've researched, I've made mistakes and learned from them. But I could have messed up somewhere along the way, who knows. I suppose we may soon find out.

So this is what I think I did that might have caused this mayhem. I right clicked the C: drive, then Properties, went into Security, and clicked Advanced. I made Administrators (Now I replaced Administrators with Administrator, my log in account name) the Owner and clicked the box that says "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects." I then gave Administrators and Administrator full control and permissions. I can't remember but I think I clicked "ignore all" When it told me some action couldn't be done or something to that effect, after I told it to switch permissions. I should never have touched that, but I didn't know permissions were so fickle.

That might well be the problem. If you could try changing those settings to Everyone, for both Owner and Allow - Full Control, and we will go from there. You will get some ignore messages, this is normal. I appreciate your understanding. I am very busy at the moment, with lots of threads, a malware removal degree, and a big programming project for this forum. + lot of school work, I am only 14! Anyway, I will post those instructions tonight, or tomorrow morning, and that should show. Ww will lock onto that diagnotic policy service, and see what file or registry key open command comes back with an AccDenied message. That should show, but I tell you now that it is not easy, but looking at what you have already done, I think you are perfectly capable of this.

Richard

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
Hello,

These are the complex instructions. I am writing them now because I have the time to at the moment. Please try the above first, and make these last resort. If you have any problems or queries, just ask.

You seem like the sort of person who has heard of Process Monitor, but possibly not been able to work out all of its inner secrets. Download it, and put it in its own folder on your Desktop. Do not run it yet. Process Monitor

Open Services. Try to start the DPS. Hopefully, this will be an application error. If the below don't work, tell me, and I will give you different instructions. Leave the error on screen < CRUCIAL!

Open Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc or Ctrl-Alt-Delete) and go to the Services tab. Scroll down to DPS. Look at and record the PID.

Open Process Explorer. Press Ctrl-L Put in this filter:

If PID is not {number you just found} then exclude

Add it. Go back to list. At the top of the window, make sure all of the five buttons below are pushed in, so that we can see everything.

Process Explorer.JPG

Scoot down the list. Look for an Access Denied result. Make sure that the past column is fully expanded. For each Access Denied message, list the registry key or file here. Some should occur for complex reasons, so please list them here rather than changing anything yet. If there are too many to list, tell me.

Many will be the same. Hopefully this will give us a clue.

Close everything. If this does not work, because DPS never shows up in Task Manager, this is fine, but I need to know.

Richard

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
DPS is listed as stopped in task manager, and when I try to start the service, it gives the error 5 but does not list the PID at any time

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self built home computer
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia
    Sound Card
    On board sound
    Cooling
    Fan
    Internet Speed
OK, that is fine. Let us try this next. If it still does not produce the required result, then that is fine.

Open Process Explorer. Press Ctrl-L Put in this filter:

If Command Line is not C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork then exclude

Add it. Go back to list. At the top of the window, make sure all of the five buttons below are pushed in, so that we can see everything.

Attachment 20690

Open Services. Try to start the DPS. Leave the message on screen.

Scoot down the list. Look for an Access Denied result. Make sure that the past column is fully expanded. For each Access Denied message, list the registry key or file here. Some should occur for complex reasons, so please list them here rather than changing anything yet. If there are too many to list, tell me.

Many will be the same. Hopefully this will give us a clue.

Close everything.

Richard

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
I tried all of that and Nothing showed up. I wonder if some previous registry editor completely deleted some entries that are critical for this service to run. That seems reasonable to believe since nothing is showing up. Is there any registry repair that would fix this problem because I tried a vista repair once and all it did was re-install vista. Capture.JPG

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self built home computer
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia
    Sound Card
    On board sound
    Cooling
    Fan
    Internet Speed
I found this in my device manager, it is a new problem. I don't recognize it, let me know what you think.Capture.JPG

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self built home computer
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia
    Sound Card
    On board sound
    Cooling
    Fan
    Internet Speed
Hello,

I am very sorry for this late reply. That thing in Device Manager is to do with IPv6. It is a known issue that it shows a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager, but is not something to worry about. My guess would be that you have fiddled with your internet settings, and enabled IPv6. This is not a problem, just the cause. I have dug out the MKBA (Microsoft Knowledge Base Article) relating to this: On a Windows Vista-based computer or on a Windows Server 2008-based computer, the Microsoft ISATAP adapter appears with a yellow exclamation mark next to it in Device Manager, and you also receive an error message

This is why we always leave ProcMon to the very end. It is always such a pain to get it working to show what we want. There should always be something showing up, because this is tracking calls to registry values. If a registry key was deleted, you would still see the calls for that registry key, you would just get a lot of errors. Unfortuantely, there is no regsitry repair tool. Don't use a registry cleaner, I have NEVER seen them do more good than harm. Almost ALL professionals agree that they are bad news.

We will have to use:

If (File) Path is not C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe then exclude

although I am still very surprised that the last one did not work. But, before you try this one, try my last instructions (Command Line filter) and try to start the DPS serveral times, OKing the message each time. If still nothing happens, try the above, start the DPS several times, OKing the message each time, and then have a look for AccDenied.

Richard

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
Alright, nothing again. it doesn't matter that I have vista x64 (I know its probably dumb question, especially since this is x64 forums)? Oh and I dont remember how, but that last bit about the ipv6 connectivity thing I solved it. This diagnostic thing is insane

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self built home computer
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia
    Sound Card
    On board sound
    Cooling
    Fan
    Internet Speed
Alright, nothing again. it doesn't matter that I have vista x64 (I know its probably dumb question, especially since this is x64 forums)? Oh and I dont remember how, but that last bit about the ipv6 connectivity thing I solved it. This diagnostic thing is insane

Don't worry about Vista x64, that is fine. Well done on solving that other problem! You will have to wait until I get home this evening, as that was GUARANTEED to give a result. I will need to check where the mistake in my instructions are.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
I don't know if its a mistake in your calculations so much as with this computer. something is off that cannot be solved, and possibly the only way to do it is (another!) reinstall. Could be local group policy editor (?), or something as strange and out of the way as that, anything really. Don't sweat over this, if you don't find any mistakes in your instructions, I'm pretty sure its one of those unknown and unsolvable items. trust me, I've looked ;)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self built home computer
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia
    Sound Card
    On board sound
    Cooling
    Fan
    Internet Speed
It is so strange! That should have worked! I am a bit of a noob when it comes to ProcMon, so it probably is my mistake in the instructions.

...I have just had a thought! Those five buttons I showed you, they are pushed in, with a square around them, not out? If they are all out, then nothing will be shown. Please humour me and give them each one click, and then try my last three sets of instructions again, in the order I gave them, until you get some results. ie: Not PID, Command Line filter, and then file filter. Thanks!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
I did, and still nothing. Now this isn't a huge problem for me, so its no big deal if it isn't solved. Its just that Vista has a problem sometimes resuming from hybrid sleep and it takes USB devices some time before they load (10-30 Seconds) Though this could well be due to a service that I have disabled that is required for a quicker load. As well, my network connections don't seem to work, and I must manually disable and enable them for them to work each time. With the DPS having trouble, I cannot repair it via 1 or 2 clicks, and instead have to go through network and sharing center and manage network connections, then disable each and enable them again. I kinda liked the hybrid sleep option. Had the best of both hibernation and sleep, just a bit more faulty i guess.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self built home computer
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia
    Sound Card
    On board sound
    Cooling
    Fan
    Internet Speed
Oh what fun promon is! It is just so odd that it is showing nothing! Let me think about this...

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
Back