Did Vista x64 Ultimate kill my Powersupply?

I had to, and ordered this:
1,00 STK 340678 Corsair Powersupply 750W Black, ATX/EPS,
140mm Fan, 8xSATA, SLI
2,00 STK 335239 Corsair TWIN2X 6400C5DHX DDR2, 4096MB
Kit w/two CL5 2GB Dimm's, E.P.P and DHX

Now i hope this will do the job :)

My Computer

Corsair is OK for a power supply. I still recommend PC Power and Cooling over Corsair.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
    Motherboard
    Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
Corsair is OK for a power supply. I still recommend PC Power and Cooling over Corsair.

Took this since ive built it into two of my friends computer, and they dosnt have any problems running vista.

Actually, no powersupply have problems running Vista. Any issues it has is with either your electrical provider or your PC hardware. Any power related issues you get with installing Vista is because your PSU can't supply enough power to your hardware. Software doesn't require electrical power, it just requires working and correctly powered hardware.

Posts like this has a tendency to cause alot of confusion for people who don't know much about the hardware, I hope you don't mind me clarifying some things. I don't feel like having to explain to people why they don't need a "vista certified" PSU. :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Athlon X2 6000+
    Motherboard
    ASRock ALiveXfire-eSATA2
    Memory
    2x2GiB DDR2 PC2-6400
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeCube ATI Radeon HD3870 512MiB GDDR4
    Sound Card
    Built in HD Audio, digital output
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 206BW, SyncMaster 940B
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050 + 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    WDC 250GB SATA + lots of externals. :)
    PSU
    Antec Earthwatts 500W
    Case
    Antec Sonata III
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 (1st edition w blue lightning)
    Mouse
    Logitech G9
    Internet Speed
    DL/UL: 50/10Mbit
Its ok. But Software can make hardware use more? like if my GFX card runs for standard applications, then after im starting a game, and the card is now running for all it got, does it then require more?

If Yes, that might be the reason to why vista randomly restarts.

My Computer

3D gaming does raise the current load on the video card. Since DirectX and Vista are integrated, you could believe its Vista but its the game or application causing the 3D functions to become enabled. Vista uses the 2D graphics mode, which is lowest power.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
Its ok. But Software can make hardware use more? like if my GFX card runs for standard applications, then after im starting a game, and the card is now running for all it got, does it then require more?

If Yes, that might be the reason to why vista randomly restarts.

Yes, running demanding games/apps will increase the power usage of pretty much all components in your computer. Which is why it's wise to calculate the necessary power rating on the power supply by the maximum power usage of all components. In reality you'll probably never end up in a situation where all components run on max power at the same time, but it never hurts to be on the safe side and you may want to add some more demanding hardware over time.

And random restarts could very well be because of the hardware trying to pull too much power from the PSU. There are several programs that allows you to monitor poweroutput from the powersupply, could try one of them and see if you get big variations in power output before a crash occurs.

(http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php comes to mind....)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Athlon X2 6000+
    Motherboard
    ASRock ALiveXfire-eSATA2
    Memory
    2x2GiB DDR2 PC2-6400
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050 + 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Antec Earthwatts 500W
    Case
    Antec Sonata III
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech G9
    Internet Speed
I base my SCSI and SAS setups on the power up current vs typical. On SCSI and SAS power up current can be 2-3x the typical load. This is why on SCSI and SAS you can set the controller to a 6 second delay per drive on spin up.

I usually recommend never going above 80% of your maxmimum current rating on any rail on a power supply. It is always better to get a larger power supply. I recommend 10% of your budget be for a power supply. It is the most important component in your chassis.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
These are the most common times i had restarts:

-Installing chipsett drivers
-Running a game
-Watching a movie.

But, can anyone try to tell me why, during the restart. From when the screen is black to bios post, it where black for 1min-3mins until it got further, laoding hdd's also took time. And the Startup was in real slowmo.

But by hitting restart on chassi, all worked okey after.

Can it be that the system needs to cool down or what can be the reason?

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Athlon X2 6000+
    Motherboard
    ASRock ALiveXfire-eSATA2
    Memory
    2x2GiB DDR2 PC2-6400
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050 + 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Antec Earthwatts 500W
    Case
    Antec Sonata III
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech G9
    Internet Speed
Restarting for drivers is for loading new DLL and libraries along with removing the older files already in memory.

Restarts from over heating is common. If you cool the room temperature down, you bring cool air into the computer.

You can also have voltage and current problems from too small of a power supply vs the draw of video card or flaky input power causing your power supply to not run with stable power. If your room temperature is over 80F, your computer will run hot. A server like my HP Proliants have redundant fans to compensate. Most computers don't have them. I like a large open chassis and a balance of inbound and outbound fans.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID

Afaik, they're pretty much the same PSU's Corsair and PC P&C, as they're both made by a company called CWT who make the actual PSU units.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
    Motherboard
    XFX MB-750I-72P9 NF750i
    Memory
    4096MB Corsair XMS2 PC-5400
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS Nvidia Geforce GTX470
    Sound Card
    ASUS Xonar DX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 24" S2409W & Dell 20" E207WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 & 1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    750GB Western Digital Caviar Black & 500GB Samsung
    PSU
    750 watt Thermaltake Toughpower
    Case
    Coolermaster Dominator 690 Nvidia Edition
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9700-NT Cooler, 6x 120mm Chassis Fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech G11 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech G5 Laser Mouse (2007 edition)
    Internet Speed
    100Mbps
    Other Info
    abit airpace 54mbps wireless PCI-E x1 card
At the point the computer restarted at worst, it was really hot in the room as i can recall. As the frustration i had, i didnt think of it being a heat issue.

But to a conclusion i think its a mix off a small PSU, heat and bad ram modules.

So ive puttet in 3new fans. Ordered a new 750W PSU and 4new ram modules with better cooling ribbs. i will write here if it worked :)

My Computer

PC Power and Cooling designs to a single rail spec with higher grade components. I have taken them to the EE lab at school and tested them. My professors were impressed with their MOSFETs and power protection. I deal directly with most of their staff. They can custom wire your power supply for $60. You can add/remove connections along with lengthen and shorten the wires.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
PC Power and Cooling designs to a single rail spec with higher grade components. I have taken them to the EE lab at school and tested them. My professors were impressed with their MOSFETs and power protection. I deal directly with most of their staff. They can custom wire your power supply for $60. You can add/remove connections along with lengthen and shorten the wires.

only problem, i live in the icecold norway in europe :)

My Computer

Yes, I game with a drunken norweigen in BF2. He said getting components is a pain. His last 3 dates were reindeer. I live in ice cold Michigan. I have been in your part of the world on a cruise. Copenhagen, Stockholm, and Helsinki.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
Hello, stunned as i was when i woke up, the Ram and PSU had arrived in 12hours. Its usually takes upto 3days! So i have installed vista now, only with 2gb of ram. Installing win updates now, and with only 2gb of ram and new modules its going alot faster then my previous ram.

No reboots yet, still have to install the chipsett. But we will see. Ill update :)

Edit:
After installing Realtek HD audio drivers, and testing the soundspeakers, the system restarted. HAH! the vilness has been found! So i removed realtek drivers and inserted my old creative SB Audigy 2. Now i can play as much sound as i wont with no restarts :)

Last edited:

My Computer

Back