disable automatic driver installation?

After changing the setting did you power off and Plug your monitor cable in your new video card?[/quote]

Right now this seems to work even my device manager recognize the graphic card as 7900gs instead of avg adapter.

I hope it will stay working this time.

thanks for all your help

My Computer

Right now this seems to work even my device manager recognize the graphic card as 7900gs instead of avg adapter.

thanks for all your help
You're welcome...
just curious, what made it work?
Was it the disabling of chipsets frame buffer size or do you have two video adapter in you device manager?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Phenom II 940 3625
    Motherboard
    Foxconn Destroyer
    Memory
    Gskill 1066 2x2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    BFG GTX285 OCX
    Sound Card
    Auzentech Prelude
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    2x WD 640Gig AAKS raid0...2X Barracuda 1.5TB
    PSU
    TX850 corsair
    Case
    Xclio windtunnel advance
    Cooling
    Cooler MasterV8
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX5500
    Mouse
    Logitech MX5500
    Internet Speed
    fast enough

thanks for all your help
You're welcome...
Was it the disabling of chipsets frame buffer size or do you have two video adapter in you device manager?

before disabling frame buffer, install the card an driver; and even though the system still had video coming from the system port instead of the card, I then tried disabling frame buffer size again. Now video comes from the card and device manager list display adapter as 7900 gs.

My Computer

thanks for all your help
You're welcome...

before disabling frame buffer, install the card an driver; and even though the system still had video coming from the system port instead of the card, I then tried disabling frame buffer size again. Now video comes from the card and device manager list display adapter as 7900 gs.

awesome
Glad to see you got your problem fixed:)

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Phenom II 940 3625
    Motherboard
    Foxconn Destroyer
    Memory
    Gskill 1066 2x2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    BFG GTX285 OCX
    Sound Card
    Auzentech Prelude
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    TX850 corsair
    Case
    Xclio windtunnel advance
    Cooling
    Cooler MasterV8
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX5500
    Mouse
    Logitech MX5500
    Internet Speed
    fast enough
I am having a similar issue where I would like to install the new Nvidia drive clean. I don't want to install it over the old driver. I am having troubles with my Sid Meier's Civilization games and 2k Games said that they have seen issues with certain games when a new driver is installed over the old one. However, no matter if I tell Vista to ask me before hand or to not search for new drivers when new hardware is detected it still does it. I always select the box that says delete driver software. There is an Nvidia folder under my C drive and the folders in there has both the 1.8.2 and 1.8.6 drivers (I have never used the 1.8.2 driver so I don't know why it is there). The prefetch folders that the automatic search finds (which I don't know where those are) always installs my previous driver which is 7.1.5. It starts out finding the generic VGA control device and then quickly installs the 7.1.5 driver. How do I get it to stop that so I can do a clean install of the latest driver?

My Computer

Windows uses nvidia drivers for their generic drivers on nvidia hardware, perhaps that's what the 1.8.2 is. And as for the 7.1.5 it might just be the generic one from MS.

You can try a program called "driver sweeper". Just Google -> Driver sweeper guru3d for the link. Once you install it, run your computer in safe mode and then run Driver Sweeper and select Nvidia Geforce Drivers to remove completely.

If you need xtra help in doing this let me know.:cool:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Phenom II 940 3625
    Motherboard
    Foxconn Destroyer
    Memory
    Gskill 1066 2x2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    BFG GTX285 OCX
    Sound Card
    Auzentech Prelude
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    TX850 corsair
    Case
    Xclio windtunnel advance
    Cooling
    Cooler MasterV8
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX5500
    Mouse
    Logitech MX5500
    Internet Speed
    fast enough
Windows uses nvidia drivers for their generic drivers on nvidia hardware, perhaps that's what the 1.8.2 is. And as for the 7.1.5 it might just be the generic one from MS.

You can try a program called "driver sweeper". Just Google -> Driver sweeper guru3d for the link. Once you install it, run your computer in safe mode and then run Driver Sweeper and select Nvidia Geforce Drivers to remove completely.

If you need xtra help in doing this let me know.:cool:

I had to go to safe mode twice and run the the guru2d twice to get it all cleaned out but it finally did the trick. When I finally logged into normal mode there was no driver so Vista didn't go through its automatic driver install process. Then I was able to install the newest driver. The roll back option is not available so I know it was installed clean. I hope that does the trick and the problem with my game freezing goes away.

My Computer

Back