Solved Disk Defragmenter Schedule Not Working

No, I just open the Disk Defrag, then click "Modify Schedule," then I select the time and stuff, and I click "OK." The "Run on a Schedule" box is checked and my disks are checked, and it says "Next Scheduled Run: 1/1/11 4:00 AM" (the date and time it is next set to run). I click "OK," and then it closes, but if I open it again, my schedule time is saved, and it says it's on the schedule, but it now says "Next Scheduled Run: Never." It never does run.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    TOSHIBA Satellite M305
    CPU
    Intel Pentium Dual T3400 (2.16 - 2.17 GHz)
    Memory
    2 GB
Set it for an hour so so and boot the computer.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
No, I just open the Disk Defrag, then click "Modify Schedule," then I select the time and stuff, and I click "OK." The "Run on a Schedule" box is checked and my disks are checked, and it says "Next Scheduled Run: 1/1/11 4:00 AM" (the date and time it is next set to run). I click "OK," and then it closes, but if I open it again, my schedule time is saved, and it says it's on the schedule, but it now says "Next Scheduled Run: Never." It never does run.

OK I asked the right question
Lets try from task scheduler.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
How do I do this? I tried to set it from there, but I don't think it works. Can you tell me what I have to put?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    TOSHIBA Satellite M305
    CPU
    Memory
    2 GB

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I figured it out! In that link that you gave me, I was told how to get to the scheduled defrags that were already there. I was looking at something else, which I am not sure is. In these real defrag schedules, I was supposed to edit the time and date in one of them (the one called "ScheduledDefrag"), like the link told me to, but I noticed something. This "ScheduledDefrag" thing didn't say "Ready" like the others did. It said "Disabled." Fortunately, I remembered seeing a button on the right-side toolbar-thing that said "Enable" and one that said "Disable." Being as impulsive as I am, I didn't like that it was disabled, so I clicked "Enable." I realized that this might have been why it wasn't working, so I checked the Disk Defragmenter. It said "Next Scheduled Run: 1/1/11 4:00 AM" instead of "Next Scheduled Run: Never" like it did before. I clicked "OK" and opened it again. It still gives the next run. It's working! Thank you so much for guiding me to the answer!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    TOSHIBA Satellite M305
    CPU
    Memory
    2 GB
Sam you are very welcome. Thats why we are here.
Happy New Year to you.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Just FYI, If the following services (in addition to the Task Scheduler for the schedule) are disabled, defrag will not run: Remote Procedure Call, DCOM Server Process Launcher and RPC Endpoint Mapper. That could also sometimes contribute to the Vista defrag not starting up on a schedule. I wish there was also a way to speed up the defrag and get a decent GUI/drive map:(....right now only the third party utilities have this for Vista/7 defragmentation.

My Computer

Oh, that's very helpful. I wish I had known that before, but thank you for the information.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    TOSHIBA Satellite M305
    CPU
    Memory
    2 GB
Back