display driver

Also, just to keep from making any mistakes.....do you know for sure if that is a PCI-E card and not an AGP slot card? I know that when PCI-E really started to be the mainstream choice, a lot of cards were made in both versions, and there were both AGP AND PCI-E versions of that card made.

If you are not sure,and if it doesn't specify on the card, can you take a picture of the card, like you're looking at it from the top down(lay it flat on a table and look down on it).

I hate asking people to do that, but you can never tell how much someone knows about things, and it's easier and safer just to get visual evidence. So, if you know which it is, just disregard what I said.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built( I will never "buy" a PC)
    CPU
    AMD Phenom2 XII 560
    Motherboard
    Biostar A780L3L
    Memory
    4GB DDR3-1333
    Graphics Card(s)
    xfx 9800 GT
    Sound Card
    Creative X-FI Xtreme Gamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    320GB
    Cooling
    2 front, 2 back,one side
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless LX310
    Internet Speed
    18/2 cable
    Other Info
    Opera/Chrome / EPSON Stylus nx420 / Microsoft Security Essentials / CCleaner / Malwarebytes / OpenDNS / Paint.NET / 7-Zip / Windows Live Mail Client
As far as the use of the computer, I do not play games at all. I mostly surf the web, use photoscape to doctor up pics, play DVD's and CD's and use Windows Movie Maker. I want fast speed and plenty of storage. I currently have high speed internet from Comcast.

The card is an EVGA GeForce 7600 GT (PCI-E). The power source is a Thermaltake TR2-430W, the hard drive is a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200GB SATA 150 HDD

I took these things out so I could clean them off and get a better look at them. Time to start learning.

Last edited:

My Computer

Here's another component I took out, isn't this the memory?

ProMOS 512MB 1Rx8

08a6f0a8.jpg

My Computer

Yep.

For what you do, I would say that card is just fine. I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend.

If you have no need for am expensive, high end card for gaming, there's no use spending the money on it,heh.

IF you do decide to get it, let us know if everything works out. Also, make sure, once you have it in the pc, to uninstall all Nvidia drivers, even before installing the Radeon drivers.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    AMD Phenom2 XII 560
    Motherboard
    Biostar A780L3L
    Memory
    4GB DDR3-1333
    Graphics Card(s)
    xfx 9800 GT
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    320GB
    Cooling
    2 front, 2 back,one side
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless LX310
    Internet Speed
    18/2 cable
    Other Info
    Opera/Chrome / EPSON Stylus nx420 / Microsoft Security Essentials / CCleaner / Malwarebytes / OpenDNS / Paint.NET / 7-Zip / Windows Live Mail Client
I agree with everything so far said above.

I however would go with a 5 series card to get a dx11 card for future ability. DX10 is old now.

Youregoing to need a psu too. A 430-500W is perfect size for you, but please get a quality brand.

The only scare is, I think your psu poped and took out your gpu too. Beforde buying anything, inspect your mobo for burns and more split caps. Would hate to see you buy something only to find your whole sytems fried.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Dual L5639 // i7 950 @ 4.0Ghz
    Motherboard
    Evga SR-2 // Gigabyte x58a-ud3r
    Memory
    12Gig Corsair XMS3 // 6Gig OCZ Gold
    Graphics Card(s)
    gtx 560 ti // gtx 260-216
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 22" // Headless
    Hard Drives
    OCZ aGILITY 3, 120Gig + Seagate 500Gig x 2
    PSU
    Silverstone da700 // Corsair 520hx
    Case
    Rosewill BlackHawk Ultra // Antec 900v1
    Cooling
    Twin CM Hyper 212+ // Noctua NH-u12
    Other Info
    Acer 8930 laptop with x9100...
The only scare is, I think your psu poped and took out your gpu too. Beforde buying anything, inspect your mobo for burns and more split caps. Would hate to see you buy something only to find your whole sytems fried.

Thanks, Patonb.

True, if you want to keep this system, and not buy/build a new one, the PSU would be a good place to start. It can't hurt to replace it....better now than after it's too late. Just consider it a little extra insurance. Cheaper isn't better with a PSU, even for an older, less used system. It's one of, if not THE most important part of a PC.

Of course, for future reference, I also agree that it is always a good idea, since you have the system open, to inspect everything that you can. If, by chance, after replacing the card, and possibly the PSU, the system doesn't work.....my next best assumption would be the motherboard. If that happens to be the case, then you need to really think about if it's worth dropping any more money into it.
At that point ( this is just assuming the worst) it would probably be more cost effective to use the new card and PSU in a newer system.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    AMD Phenom2 XII 560
    Motherboard
    Biostar A780L3L
    Memory
    4GB DDR3-1333
    Graphics Card(s)
    xfx 9800 GT
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    320GB
    Cooling
    2 front, 2 back,one side
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless LX310
    Internet Speed
    18/2 cable
    Other Info
I agree. I am stopping and thinking this: Should I only fix what's broken? or go the extra mile and build my own whole new system, since possibly everything is fried anyway.

As far as I'm concerned. I might as well do it all over again my way; since that's the only way things ever get done right to begin with...along with the help of the fine folks here on Vista forums from what I've seen so far.

EDIT: "Youregoing to need a psu too. A 430-500W is perfect size for you, but please get a quality brand."

Is Thermaltake a quality brand? because I found the same PSU for 50 bucks on their site.
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/store/Product.aspx?C=1016&SC=1043&ID=1192

Last edited:

My Computer

K, lots-o-questions now.... Are you re-using anything?

Honest opinion... The tr-2 isn't a bad psu. 430V at 2x15A... a Corsair 430cx is 430W at 28A and is $59.99 at newegg with 20bucks back mail in.
The tr2 series is known to coe up short though\

Tell me what youre reusing, and a budget, i'll whip up a list... from newegg

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 22" // Headless
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Other Info
Okay, I would like to re-use my motherboard. I figure if it isn't broken, don't fix it. However, I don't know what kind or how old it is. Here's a pic:

612072a8.jpg

Ok, here is the video card I received from Newegg today:

9438f4d2.jpg

I feel like a new PSU, more memory, new DVD/CD drive with light-scribe and a new case to put it in. Here's the case I had in mind; it has good reviews for the functionality and I like the looks of it.

Newegg.com - Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

If possible, I wouldn't want to spend more than 300.00

My Computer

Okay... I need more info on the board.

D/l cpuz from CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting and it'll tell you what board you have and the ram and cpu too.

I can look from there, and 300 is really doable. Cases are all up to you. As you gotta look at it, not me ;) Though that ones pretty decent.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 22" // Headless
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Other Info
Hate to tell you, but your motherboard isn't worth updating....... at all. And memmory for it is extremely expensive. Newegg is down/boged so i can't get on it right now, but i will builds you something when i can.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 22" // Headless
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Other Info
"isn't worth updating", do you mean I should just buy a new one? If so, I was looking forward to buying a new one anyway since it seemed to be an older model.

My Computer

Sorry for long reply times... setting up my new system....

Yha, i mean its time to buy new stuff. However you can still use the older parts like the hard drive... but its old too.

Man, newegg blows... i still can't properly use it!

But a lower priced Phenom x4 ($120)and a am3 770 board ($70) is around 200 all together. dropping to a dual core ($80) will drop that down alot though.
A 500Gig ($50) hard drive, Grab 4Gig of ram for under $50, and a good 500W ($50) psu for future proofing. And finally the case you choose.($50)

Then the gpu you have. If your vista is retail, you can get a good amd based system for 4-500 from deals on newegg.

Belows the stuff that'd be great.
Newegg.com - MSI 870-G45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard mobo
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X2 545 Callisto 3.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor HDX545WFK2DGI - Processors - Desktops x4 cpu
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1066LV4GK Ram
Newegg.com - Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan case
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Builder Series CMPSU-500CX 500W ATX12V v2.3 Active PFC Power Supply psu
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive hard drive.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 22" // Headless
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Other Info
No problem on the respond time. Nice of you to take the time.

I flipped through Newegg out of curiosity and found some good stuff. The motherboard you listed in something I actually looked at, but it won't work because it doesn't have a parallel port for my printer.

I did find this one though...

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-G41M-Combo LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Thanks a bunch for all the help Paton. I'll keep posted on the progress. My car is in the shop, so it put a huge damper on the rebuild. But I'll get back into tip top shape soon!

My Computer

I'd stick away from 775.. its a dead technology... BUT lucky for you they make these:
Newegg.com - usb to parallel

Better to get a temnporary solution to your printer, than build a computer around your printer.

No worries, if i didnt want to do it, i wouldn't have.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 22" // Headless
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Other Info
Dang man, good call. I didn't think about it, but my printer (though it's a good one) is about 7 years old. It's an HP 5550 refurb. Can't even download the software for it anymore. Guess it's time for a new printer also, lol.

My Computer

Back