Do You Really Need More Than 6 GB Of RAM?

Do You Really Need More Than 6 GB Of RAM? : Is “Too Much” Really Just Enough?

The notion that bigger is better has taken a beating lately in all aspects of society.

Once the pride of the so-called upper middle class in the United States, McMansions and SUVs have now become symbols of excess and waste--at least the reminders of an era past. Green movement proponents should certainly be happy that so many “earth abusers” are beginning to see the light, but what about performance-computing fanatics? With memory prices near record lows, is there any good reason not to fill every slot with low-cost 2 GB DIMMs?

Environmentalists could point out that IC and PCB production turns a large quantity of natural resources into post-production waste, while most of the end-product is not recyclable and the additional components add to the system’s energy consumption. Power users could easily counter energy concerns by pointing out that a better-performing computer allows them to get their work done in less time. But neither argument is sufficient to answer the question we’ve asked so many times before: How much RAM do you really need?

Our 2004 article pointed out weaknesses in the once-popular single-gigabyte configurations. But 512 MB and smaller modules are now a distant memory. It wasnt long after that 2 GB became the performance standard, and by 2007, 4 GB kits could be found in all but the lowest-cost systems. Is it time to take the next step, to 8 GB or more? More importantly, were 4 GB modules ever really needed for games and everyday applications? And with the 32-bit addressing limit of 4 GB making only 3 GB available to many users, should everyone switch to a 64-bit operating system simply to support higher capacities?

Read more at: Do You Really Need More Than 6 GB Of RAM? : Is "Too Much" Really Just Enough? - Review Tom's Hardware

Last edited:
I saw a guy who was bragging about having 12G of RAM in his system. I should link him this article. :D

On a side note, many people are saying it's common for them to run photo editing, web pages, 2 games, etc. at the same time. I don't know what games you are playing, but if they're so bad that you actually have to switch to another game and photo edit/web browse in between, I think you should expand your software library. ;)

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    C2D E6550 2.3GHz
    Motherboard
    nForce 680i LT SLI
    Memory
    4GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8600 GT XXX
    Hard Drives
    2 80GB
    RAID 0
    Keyboard
    MS Wireless Comfort Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    MS Wireless Laser Mouse 5000
I saw a guy who was bragging about having 12G of RAM in his system. I should link him this article. :D

On a side note, many people are saying it's common for them to run photo editing, web pages, 2 games, etc. at the same time. I don't know what games you are playing, but if they're so bad that you actually have to switch to another game and photo edit/web browse in between, I think you should expand your software library. ;)

Yeah, unless I was just hanging out in one of the no combat zones in Everquest, going back and forth between games would get my character taken down rather often.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire X1700
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    3 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1 gig GeForce 210
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Vizio 21" tv
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 terabyte sata in 1 partition
    Cooling
    fans that came with it
    Keyboard
    basic USB
    Mouse
    basic USB
    Internet Speed
    3 megabits on a cable modem, wired
Having 8Gig my self, im not one to argue with the fact that its not needed or any other debate however My system is currently utilising 2Gig as we speak so i think I made a wise choice in my self to go bigger, but this dose not mean my system is gonna run any better however on a positive side of things the 4 sticks of 2Gig ram does play a part in performance but this has no regards to the total amount, wher i get the performance is where i have 4 sticks, so even if i only had 4Gig on 1gig sticks i will still get the same amount of performance since its the individual sticks being able to work indipendantly that give the overal performance

I could put my self in a possition of only having 1 stick, 8gig in size but i will have less performance since the ram would bottle neck under strain
however singe i have 8gig split over 4 sticks there will be less bottle necking since stick 1 can hold the info needed while stick 3 can prosses other info while the other 2 stick can do whatever they like

So is bigger better? well i will only say yes if its spread over several sticks but a big no if its 1 stick on its own?.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Me :P
    CPU
    Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Motherboard
    Abit IN9 32X MAX
    Memory
    8 GB OCZ PC2-6400 nVIDIA SLI-Ready Edition (4X2GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMP! GeForce GTX 260² 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 (650MHz/2100MHz
    Sound Card
    Realtek 7.1 CH HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Fujitsu siemens TFT + 32" LG HD LCD TV
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 + 1360x768
    Hard Drives
    150GB Raptor HDD
    500GB Caviar HDD
    PSU
    Thermaltake W0133RB 1200W PSU
    Case
    Antec 900
    Cooling
    Stock + Antec 900 case fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 (full layout)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
I went ahead and maxed by motherboard to 8GB since it was so cheap and I run Virtual PC quite a bit.

---O---M---G---and I, little pathetic me, only have 1 measly GB?---("alms for the poor")---but then I only use my pc for online games and net-surfing; NOT like some mondo-mega-advanced super-intelligent alien here called Mr. Brink.---

*hide in corner*

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    eMachines D620 (laptop)
    CPU
    AMD Athlon Processor 2650e 1.60GHz
    Motherboard
    ACPI x86-based PC
    Memory
    (RAM) 1.00GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Internal DAC (400MHz) - memory: 382 MB
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Def Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ATI Radeon X1250 - 14"
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800 (60Hz)
    Hard Drives
    ST9160310AS ATA Device
    Case
    Stealth~graphite
    Keyboard
    Launch Manager Version 2.0.02
    Mouse
    Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad + Microsoft Optical Mouse 500
    Internet Speed
    Cable/wireless-router
    Other Info
    NO WEBCAM - (privacy)
Hi Fmjc001,

Most laptops will only have two RAM slots with support for 1GB or 2 GB per stick, but sure some of them can support 4GB sticks for a total of 8GB. An example. :)

---wink wink---put that on MY wish list for SANTA, mmmk?---

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    eMachines D620 (laptop)
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ACPI x86-based PC
    Memory
    (RAM) 1.00GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Def Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ATI Radeon X1250 - 14"
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800 (60Hz)
    Hard Drives
    ST9160310AS ATA Device
    Case
    Stealth~graphite
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable/wireless-router
    Other Info
    NO WEBCAM - (privacy)
Its better to have too much than not enough.

12GB FTW :party:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 11 Workstation
    Manufacturer/Model
    doofenshmirtz evil incorporated
    CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
    Motherboard
    Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 64GB (4x16GB) 3600MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB ROG Strix LC OC
    Sound Card
    Creative
    Monitor(s) Displays
    3 x27" Dell U2724D & 1 x 34" Dell U3415W
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 2280 PCI-e 4.0 x4 NVMe Solid State
    Drive
    PSU
    1500W ThermalTake Toughpower
    Case
    ThermalTake Level 10 GT
    Cooling
    Enermax Liqtech 240
    Keyboard
    Surface Ergonomic.
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    350 Mb/s
    Other Info
    WinTV NovaTD
    HP CP1515n Color Laser
    Sony BD-5300S-0B Blu-ray Writer
    Microsoft LifeCam Cinema
    APC 750i Smart UPS
  • Operating System
    windows 10
    Manufacturer/Model
    Surface Pro 3
    CPU
    1.9GHz Intel Core i5-4300U (dual-core, 3MB cache, up to 2.9GHz with Turbo Boost)
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4400
    Monitor(s) Displays
    12" Multi Touch
    Screen Resolution
    2160 x 144
    Hard Drives
    128GB
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Keyboard
    yes
    Internet Speed
    350 Mb/s

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    eMachines D620 (laptop)
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ACPI x86-based PC
    Memory
    (RAM) 1.00GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Def Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ATI Radeon X1250 - 14"
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800 (60Hz)
    Hard Drives
    ST9160310AS ATA Device
    Case
    Stealth~graphite
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable/wireless-router
    Other Info
    NO WEBCAM - (privacy)
Its better to have too much than not enough.

12GB FTW :party:
I 3rd that haha hmmmm any1 care to give me another 4gig? haha

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Me :P
    CPU
    Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Motherboard
    Abit IN9 32X MAX
    Memory
    8 GB OCZ PC2-6400 nVIDIA SLI-Ready Edition (4X2GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMP! GeForce GTX 260² 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 (650MHz/2100MHz
    Sound Card
    Realtek 7.1 CH HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Fujitsu siemens TFT + 32" LG HD LCD TV
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 + 1360x768
    Hard Drives
    150GB Raptor HDD
    500GB Caviar HDD
    PSU
    Thermaltake W0133RB 1200W PSU
    Case
    Antec 900
    Cooling
    Stock + Antec 900 case fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 (full layout)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
I used to have 4gb (2X2GB) and every once in a while while using comskip on a 2 hour show/movie my RAM use would max out and I would have to wait until it finished or everything was extremely slow. I recently added another 2X2GB for a total of 8. I rarely see over 4GB usage but when I am using the 4 I can still do other things?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    IPSG E371
    CPU
    Q6700
    Motherboard
    Intel DP35DP
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8800GT
    Sound Card
    Integrated Sigmatel 9271D 8channel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 in Sceptre
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1200
    Hard Drives
    1TB Raid 0 (2X 500)
    1X 1.5TB internal
    1X 1.5TB external
    PSU
    650watt
    Case
    coolermaster cheapy
    Keyboard
    microsoft 3000
    Mouse
    logitech wireless tracball
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Other Info
    bluray

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    eMachines D620 (laptop)
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ACPI x86-based PC
    Memory
    (RAM) 1.00GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Def Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ATI Radeon X1250 - 14"
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800 (60Hz)
    Hard Drives
    ST9160310AS ATA Device
    Case
    Stealth~graphite
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable/wireless-router
    Other Info
    NO WEBCAM - (privacy)
Thanks for this post... very interesting in that they only tested 2 gb. I have 6gb, but benchmark at 7.9 (highest) in Windows 7 on Window W.E.I., but at 12gb, I benched lower. AT 12gb, I also had all slots full, and assumed the issue could've partly been because of the 'full slots' performance it issue, but also because it seems things get 'lost' in more RAM than the system has any software written to utilize. Make sense? I mean, I know the 'all slots full' thing is real, but what about going above a RAM amt. 'sweet spot' ?
Any thoughts? :geek:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 965 Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Asus P6T Deluxe V2
    Memory
    6GB Corsair Dominator 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA GeForce GTX285 SSC Edition
    Sound Card
    Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS Professional
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" Gateway w/ Faroudja HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    2-Seagate 7200 500 GB 32MB cache
    1-Seagate 7200 750 GB 32MB cache
    1-Seagate 7200 320 GB 16MB cache
    PSU
    Antec 850w
    Case
    Thermaltake Armor+MX
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper N520
    Keyboard
    Logitech 3200 Wireless Desktop
    Mouse
    Logitech 3200
    Internet Speed
    30Mb/10Mb up
    Other Info
    LG BR/DVD/CD Burner, HP Deskjet 1220C, HP Officejet 7590, Philips 5.1, Gateway MP8708 laptop running XP.
When you are pounding ram with large programs like CAD and other development softwares, graphics design, working with video, and other memory chewers that little bit of extra ram will come in handy. For the typical web browsing, occasional toss a game disk you won't see any larger performance boost on the typical desktop with 16gb to 32gb capacities now seen. Too much simply goes to waste.

With a pair of 2gb dimms here I capture video, run various softwares, games included as well as testing compatibility on a variety of items and haven't noticed any big performance boost from recently upgrading from 2gb! In both Vista and the Windows 7 RCs that would have still been adequate while someone running Cad or more would run out requiring the larger amount of 4gb+ at times.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom built desktops =2 Toshiba replace HP laptop
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb core 3.6ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper X 1.5v DDR3 PC12800 1600mhz 16gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1tb
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi XtremeAudio PCIe
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus 19" HP 20" second lcd main HP 20" remote pc.
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900, 1600x900 main - 1600x900 2nd desktop
    Hard Drives
    WD Black Edition 1tb Sata II -2
    WD SAS "Heavy Duty" RE class 2tb - 2
    External usb/eSata WD Black 1tb main -1
    External usb only WD Green Power 1tb -1
    PSU
    Corsair 750w 750TX main - Corsair 600w remote
    Case
    Antec 900-2 - SSD compatible eSata ports 2 - NZXT Vulcan 2nd
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9900A cpu, twin front 120s, top 200cm, rear 120
    Keyboard
    AZIO Ilumminated keys gaming keyboard/volume control usb
    Mouse
    MSI Interceptor D200
    Internet Speed
    30mbps upgrade
If you want to do an experiment to see what overhead RAM does, do this…
1) restart your computer
2) log in
3) open task manager and wait until the “Free” is the lowest it can get and doesn’t really change much.
4) open an application you normally use (it should launch and be ready in like a second of so…a bit more for big apps)
That’s because it’s cached in RAM (vs. the hard drive).

Now if you use a lot of different programs and files, etc. you can take advantage of this more as you have more RAM. As you open up programs, you will fill up your RAM and less will be available for SuperFetch and more will be put into the page file (that’s where the HD is used in place of RAM). HD is slow. RAM is fast. Simple.

The caveat is that it will take a longer time during startup / login to fill up your cache so it might appear a bit more sluggish during these couple of minutes. But if you don’t really shut down (sleep mode is fine) and change user too often, you won’t experience this lag.

Here’s some details on what happens....

Understanding how SuperFetch uses RAM to enhance system performance…
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=735

Windows Vista - SuperFetch & ReadyBoost
http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2007/03/29/windows-vista-superfetch-readyboost.aspx

Consider that many workers like to have, say 20 windows open and do not shut down in order to save time in the morning (even Monday morning), they can now leave 40 windows (or more) open. Also, the more RAM they have, the more stuff can be SuperFetched and Auto Disk Defragmenter and whatever can run more efficiently in the background when AFK too.

For the above scenario, workers will probably “lock” Vista with the S3 sleep more because they can resume in 5 seconds anyway, or it will just auto-sleep after a period…translating to a huge savings on energy consumption.

All these are big bonuses from having a large amount of RAM (which is dirt cheap these days as well as cheaper going forward). Costs associated with driver/equipment upgrade for 64-bit compatibility may be more than made up for in productivity savings by having more RAM.

(July 30, 2008) There appears to be a shift taking place in the PC industry: the move from 32-bit to 64-bit PCs.
We've been tracking the change by looking at the percentage of 64-bit PCs connecting to Windows Update, and have seen a dramatic increase in recent months. The installed base of 64-bit Windows Vista PCs, as a percentage of all Windows Vista systems, has more than tripled in the U.S. in the last three months, while worldwide adoption has more than doubled during the same period. Another view shows that 20% of new Windows Vista PCs in the U.S. connecting to Windows Update in June were 64-bit PCs, up from just 3% in March. Put more simply, usage of 64-bit Windows Vista is growing much more rapidly than 32-bit. Based on current trends, this growth will accelerate as the retail channel shifts to supplying a rapidly increasing assortment of 64-bit desktops and laptops… PC Accelerators built into Windows Vista, such as Windows SuperFetch, improve performance by keeping commonly used programs in memory, even when the program is closed. More memory capacity on 64-bit PCs allows SuperFetch to do its job more efficiently.
http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2008/07/30/windows-vista-64-bit-today.aspx

What are the advantages of 64-bit computing?
In early testing of 64-bit support in Photoshop for Windows®, overall performance gains ranged from 8% to 12%. Those who work with extremely large files may realize noticeably greater gains in performance, in some cases as dramatic as ten times the previous speed. This is because 64-bit applications can address larger amounts of memory and thus result in less file swapping — one of the biggest factors that can affect data processing speed.
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/faq/?promoid=DRHXB

Last edited:

My Computer

Methinks for lower ram capacities like 512 mb and 1 Gb, the hard drives or whatever storage you have plays a big role in performance. When i yanked out one of the 512 ram modules leaving only 512mb left there was hardly a noticeable difference in performance when doing everyday non-extreme tasks, like word processing,browsing,playing multimedia while the antivirus does routine scans.I even managed to run an XP virtual machine(with 1Gb Ram) without too much of a load on Vista. Because of the lower memory, there is a larger reliance on a pagefile. Considering that you are not an extreme user,would i be right to conclude that you will get a faster start-up or app. launch time just by getting a faster drive as opposed to getting an extra 1Gb of ram ? Lastly in the high performance category(about which i'm not familiar),how much of a factor is the speed of a hdd ?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hewlet Packard,HPG500
    CPU
    Intel Pentium Dual-Core,Genuine Intel(R) T2080 @ 1.73 GHz
    Motherboard
    What's that about my mama ?!
    Memory
    1 GB Ram
    Screen Resolution
    1200x800
    Hard Drives
    120 GB
    Other Info
    The damned DVD Drive expired way before MTBF !!
It's actually a combination of things rather then one item alone that will see any increase in overall performance especially for a lower end system. Many elect to run WD Raptor model hard drives due to the faster 10,000rpm speeds seen with those over the typical 7,200rpm for your standard desktop internal drive. Some drives also provide a larger cache like 16mb over 8mb or 32mb over 16mb caches for seeing faster access times to data stored on the drives themselves.

With memory and running multiple programs you then have to look at the percentage of free ram once you have everything running. If the percentage is low then you would consider some increase based on actual need.

If you are running Cad or some other insentive softwares you would also start taking a look at the 64bit operating system since the 32bit drawback of 4gb limits Cad projects that can easily climb over that amount. Yet at the same time you can still run the 64bit editions of Windows with quite a bit less then 4gb for the basics up to occasional loads that tax ram.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1tb
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    MSI Interceptor D200
    Internet Speed
    30mbps upgrade
Iam very happy with my 4 gb ram,lol,,,I just need more display card..i have nvidia 8600M GS

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Mobile DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo T9300, 2500 MHz(12.5 x 200)
    Motherboard
    Intel Corporation SANTA ROSA CRB
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC268-ALC883
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AU Optronics B154EW08 V1
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    250GB
Iam very happy with my 4 gb ram,lol,,,I just need more display card..i have nvidia 8600M GS

It depends on what type of build you have there since that was one of the mid range models. For seeing more punch for the dollar for gaming then you start looking over the reviews seen for the high end models. Lately many are looking at ATI 4800s for that as well as some NVidia models.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1tb
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    MSI Interceptor D200
    Internet Speed
    30mbps upgrade
I got 6GB DDR3 Ram and I must say it is defenitley worth getting it, I ran COD:4 AND Flight simulator x simultaneously and it only used 54%ram. I guess having more ram is for gaming and video/photo editing purpose.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    CPU
    corei7920
    Memory
    6GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    512MB ATI RADEON 4850
    Sound Card
    Creative
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1080p
    Hard Drives
    750GB
    Keyboard
    Dell premium keyboard
    Mouse
    Dell optical laser mouse
    Internet Speed
    100mbps
That's because you were likely booted into Vista and not 7 while seeing that. 7 actually sees quite a bit less of a demand when running more then one thing.

Recently someone mentioned seeing 5gb taken up for a Cad project. That's when it helps to be running the 64bit 7 where you can actually see more ram put to use when the need is there.

Besides having far more free memory available then you will ever use you also have to look at what type of program is being run. If your video card or cpu lacks while you have 6gb, 8gb, 16gb even installed you won't get far. That may actually see the opposite effect.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1tb
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling