DVD Video File

Good Morning (at least on this side of the pond)Tom:

I have tried InfraRecorder. In fact, it is the app that I use as a check against DivX to verify that any problem is not the fault of the burning program. Unfortunately, it gives me the same result as with DivX and Windows DVD Maker. The result is as follows:

9:36:34 Started to write disc image.
9:36:34 Cannot create DVD-Video file system, is the Video_TS folder present?
9:36:34 Failed to create disc image.

Powell

My Computer

Okay, I've got a few questions:

1. Does this only happen with DivX files?
2. Can you get hold of an external CD/DVD drive? Just to test if it's the hardware
3. Do you have a Vista installation DVD?

And I would also like you to do this:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/80368-device-manager-hidden-devices.html

Are there any yellow triangles next to the entries on device manager?

Tom

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Build #1
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770K @4.4GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz Low Profile (White)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 (2GB GDDR5)
    Sound Card
    Integrated on motherboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" LG LCD/LED IPS
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung EVO 128GB SSD
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm
    2x500GB Seagate FreeAgent 5400rpm
    PSU
    Corsair TX650W V2 (80+ Bronze)
    Case
    NZXT Phantom 410
    Cooling
    Corsair H100 Water Cooler, 1x140mm and 1x120mm stock fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Desktop 2000 Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Desktop 2000 Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    95 Mb/s Download 70 Mb/s Upload
Hi Tom:

I want to thank you for all your attempts to solve my problem. However, we have both spent enough time on this. This evening I will reinstall my O/S. This is not something new. I do it twice a year just to ensure that I don't have any rootbots that are busily spending out spam and that may have been missed by my AV. Also, over a period of time Vista picks up little glitches and quirks (like the present one but not so serious). Usually these are caused by my impatience in not reading all the documentation thoroughly or by clicking on something I shouldn't when I think a download or an app has frozen up when it hasn't. It generally requires 24 hours for me to get everything up and running to my satisfaction mainly because it takes so long to download and install 4 years worth of Vista updates. When I'm done, I will get back to you. Perhaps you know how I can save all those updates so I don't have to go through the long restoring process.

Thanks for your generous assistance and best regards

Powell Lucas

My Computer

Hello Powell

Thanks for the kind words buddy, it's words like those which make me want to help out people like you :)

Yes actually, I do know of a way :) You should do the following once you've done a clean install of Vista, then installed all of your updates - do not do this after installing any 3rd party software (i.e. Anti-Virus software).

Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download

Make an image and store it somewhere on an external hard drive :) If you ever encounter any problems then you can just restore back to this image

I would also suggest making monthly images just so you have something more recent to restore to if needs be. You must keep your original image though :)

Tom

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Build #1
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" LG LCD/LED IPS
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung EVO 128GB SSD
    PSU
    Case
    NZXT Phantom 410
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
Hello Tom:

It's me again. I said I'd get back to you with the results of my reinstallation of the Vista O/S. Well, it made no difference, and since the reinstallation more glitches have shown up. As an example Windows update just blows past my settings for downloading and installing. Even with the stting placed at "do not check for windows updates" it downloads and installs them. Another beauty is that many downloads don't stick. For example I installed SP2 from the Windows Downloads site during my reinstallation of the O/S only to have it show up today as an update. This was after I was going nuts trying to install my Adobe Acrobat which kept telling me that I did not have the correct O/S installed. I'm also getting strange pop-up windows telling me that susch and such a file is missing in system 32. They only last a couple of seconds and then disappear. I can't run system restore unless I run it from my installation boot disk.

I ran into a similar problem when I had Windows XP installed and it turned out to be a miniscule crack in the motherboard. There fore I've decided it's time for a new computer and Windows 7. Once it arrives and is set up, I'll track you down again and give you an update. If nothing else, your yeoman efforts gave me a whole new set of set of resources that I have printed and filed for future reference. Agai, many, many thanks for your help.

Best regards
Powell Lucas

Unfortunately not related to George Lucas or anyone from the Lucas atomotive electrical firm.

My Computer

Hello Powell,

That's really odd! But I'm glad you decided to install Windows 7 and upgrade your PC. If you don't mind me asking, which version of Windows 7 have you gone with? And what PC are you getting? If it isn't too late, I would suggest you get the upgrade disc of Windows 7. You can still do a clean install with it and it's a lot cheaper! Seems like a no brainer really!

You are more than welcome to stay here, I (and many other users) use Windows 7 so we will be able to help you with any problems you run in to, but I would also like to point out that we have a sister site - Seven Forums. They have excellent Windows 7 tutorials, like we do for Vista, and here are two which may come in help:

Clean Install Windows 7 - Windows 7 Forums

Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version - Windows 7 Forums

Thanks for the kind words :) I truly am glad I was able to help

Take care,

Tom

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Build #1
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" LG LCD/LED IPS
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung EVO 128GB SSD
    PSU
    Case
    NZXT Phantom 410
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
I'm getting Windows 7 Home Premium Full installed on a Dell computer. The reason I went this route is that the O/S purchased from Microsoft costs cnd. $225.00 and the Dell comes with it installed for cnd. $499.00. I have found Dell to be reliable as far as service goes. Retailers like Best Buy, Staples, and Future Shop require you to bring the computer in if you have problems and their sales staff generally can't tell a Mac from a PC.

Thanks for the information about the sites. I wish I could get more deeply involved in the field in which you are studying, but at 70 years of age it would be a waste of my time and that of my instructors' since I really wouldn't be able to put it to good use. However, I certainly wish you well in your endeavours.

Regards
Powell Lucas

My Computer

I'm getting Windows 7 Home Premium Full installed on a Dell computer. The reason I went this route is that the O/S purchased from Microsoft costs cnd. $225.00 and the Dell comes with it installed for cnd. $499.00. I have found Dell to be reliable as far as service goes. Retailers like Best Buy, Staples, and Future Shop require you to bring the computer in if you have problems and their sales staff generally can't tell a Mac from a PC.

Thanks for the information about the sites. I wish I could get more deeply involved in the field in which you are studying, but at 70 years of age it would be a waste of my time and that of my instructors' since I really wouldn't be able to put it to good use. However, I certainly wish you well in your endeavours.

Regards
Powell Lucas

Okay, that's great, and it saves you the hassle of installing Windows! As you said, you also have the added bonus of their customer service :)

No problem, well if you ever need to ask something, or you're simply interested why or how something works then feel free to send me a message. I'm more than willing to help anyone who is willing to learn. When I first joined here, I didn't know very much at all, but I managed to pick up everything that I now know from my colleagues. It's a great place to learn things, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would explain something for you if you ever wanted. Thank you Powell, you too!

Tom

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Build #1
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" LG LCD/LED IPS
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung EVO 128GB SSD