Error 6 Handle invalid

I'm working on the same problem.

background:
Compaq C571NR Notebook
Modem: HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP
Home Prem. 32bit

Windows states its "Up to date"
Installed Optional Newer Modem drivers (no change in error)

Problem seemed to occur after installing cumulative security update for IE 7 (KB950759) which was installed before Optional Modem Driver.

Tried using a restore point to prior date but has an "unexpected error" during the restore an fails to do anything. (great to know thats working properly)

Tried the steps included in MS Article ID: 810979 to no avail.

Ive also tried following RAS & NDISWAN component corruption fixes. No help either.

I've completely uninstalled Modem & all RAS adapters listed in Device Manager (including hidden devices) Rebooted and resetup with brand new dialup connection. Same "Error 6: Handle is invalid" Bouncing around reading random forums it appears vista has trouble with Dialup connections for some reason. Either chronic 720 errors, or this error 6 handle invalid. Hoping we can get this figured out, its becoming very frustrating.

EDIT:
Just an FYI the Network connection works fine, connects right up to a DHCP router and access the internet without a hitch. Just seems like when the PC tries to finalize authentication on a dialup connection it fails and gives the error 6.

I was wondering if a DSL connection would work condisering all my Network drivers are missing and won't re-install......
I had a lot of trouble with VISTA crashing before when I was doing video editing.
I managed to download a bunch of updates and that fixed it.
I don't suppose installing a VISTA service pack would fix this dial up error???

Hey Guys,

This all seems very werid to have that many adapters having problems..

I use dialup when Im out on the road without any issues and I have never seen anything like that before :eek: Have you used any system tweaking programs? and Do you have VistaSP1 installed?

Steven

I can not download anything to the PC because I can't get it on line!
I'm using this MAC I-Book with OS9 I got for NOTHING to find answers on-line.
I guess I could try downloading the service pack and trnsferring it to the PC using my
cheap Mp3 player (also free).
But it's probably HUGE and out of dial up's reach.
Good thing my fridge is full of beer :)

My Computer

I can not download anything to the PC because I can't get it on line!
I'm using this MAC I-Book with OS9 I got for NOTHING to find answers on-line.
I guess I could try downloading the service pack and trnsferring it to the PC using my
cheap Mp3 player (also free).
But it's probably HUGE and out of dial up's reach.
Good thing my fridge is full of beer :)

Hey Ron,

The standalone update download is about 1GB, however you can order an Update CD...

Look under Key Resources > Non-Subscribers for the location to order the update DVD ;)

Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Steven

My Computer

Hey Guys,

This all seems very werid to have that many adapters having problems..

I use dialup when Im out on the road without any issues and I have never seen anything like that before :eek: Have you used any system tweaking programs? and Do you have VistaSP1 installed?

Steven

Is SP1 a automatic or recommended update via the updater? Like I said when I check windows says its "Up to date". So I would assume its installed.

An like I said the LAN works fine, just the dial-up that is having trouble in my scenario.

My Computer

Is SP1 a automatic or recommended update via the updater? Like I said when I check windows says its "Up to date". So I would assume its installed.

An like I said the LAN works fine, just the dial-up that is having trouble in my scenario.

Well I'm running the independent SP1 Installer just in case its not installed. See if it makes any difference.

If you haven't noticed its not my laptop. It didn't stop the installer so I'm assuming its probably not installed yet. I'll post again when it's done.

My Computer

Well I'm running the independent SP1 Installer just in case its not installed. See if it makes any difference.

If you haven't noticed its not my laptop. It didn't stop the installer so I'm assuming its probably not installed yet. I'll post again when it's done.

Well SP1 is installed, and I've made progress, But not persay in the right direction. Now I get a new error Number... 720!

errorchange.jpg

Time to start looking for fixes on the troublesome 720 error.... :confused:

My Computer

ok, so my problem is still not fixed so......
What about a HD re-formatting?
I've got my dvds I made when I first got my PC .
Do you VISTA brainiacs think that will fix it?

Also, is there a way of saving all the updates I've painfully downloaded with
dial up?

Is there just a place on the web to go get the network drivers?

(Although nobody has been able to tell me if network drivers have anything to do with a dial up connection)

My Computer

Back