Error 80240028 on update KB955428

Re: Prblem with Windows Update and Works 8

I had completely forgot that you could do this, but it did work for me. Thanks for the reminder and the link. I hope more people find this forum so that their problems with this issue can be corrected as well.

My Computer

The trouble is that Microsoft were late publishing the direct download link. Anyway, glad it's fixed.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Win 10 Pro x64 x 2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Alienware ALX x58
    CPU
    Intel® Core™ i7-975 Extreme O/C to 4.02 GHz, 8MB Cache
    Motherboard
    Asus® P6T Deluxe V2 X58 LGA1366
    Memory
    24GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 6 x 4096MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295 Dual Core
    Sound Card
    Onboard Soundmax® High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 HD LED backlit 23" W/S 2ms response time
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500gb SATA II
    1 x 1TB SATA II
    1 external eSATA LaCie 3TB
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Alienware® 1200 Watt Multi-GPU
    Case
    Unique
    Cooling
    4 case fans @ CPU water cooling.
    Internet Speed
    1gb/s up and down
Thanks Ex_Brit - I've just installed using the link above, no problems. As you so usefully observed, it doesn't show under "Update History" but it is there under "Installed Updates"

My Computer

No problem.;)

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Win 10 Pro x64 x 2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Alienware ALX x58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500gb SATA II
    1 x 1TB SATA II
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Unique
    Cooling
    Internet Speed
    1gb/s up and down
I wonder if I spoke too soon saying there were no problems? When I switched on this morning, I got a message saying that the computer had been restarted to install an update but that it had been unable to complete the installation. It presented me with the task-bar icon for the 'update', inviting me to click to see the details of the problem - but of course on clicking it the screen showed "no updates are available" because I had hidden the offending item.

I wonder if I'll get this message every morning.

My Computer

Well if you installed it then you can unhide it and let update think there's an update. It will then not install it....if you get my meaning...LOL

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Win 10 Pro x64 x 2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Alienware ALX x58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500gb SATA II
    1 x 1TB SATA II
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Unique
    Cooling
    Internet Speed
    1gb/s up and down
LOL .. yes I get your meaning. Maybe the computer did too because, after another reboot, the update has now disappeared from my "Hidden Updates" list, so maybe it has done just what yuo suggested, all by itself.

My Computer

My God, the computer actually thought for itself....next thing you'll have it making the coffee!

It looks like you are OK now.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Win 10 Pro x64 x 2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Alienware ALX x58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500gb SATA II
    1 x 1TB SATA II
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Unique
    Cooling
    Internet Speed
    1gb/s up and down
Thanks for the info provided in this thread! I came across the same problem with this update this morning (it was looking for a Works file) so this evening, I used the link at Post #4 to manually download the update and all OK now. I am in New Zealand and wasn't sure which file to select so just used the same 'US' one mentioned in Post #4.

I did have the problem of the taskbar icon reappearing after a reboot, telling me there was an update available and when I clicked on it, it took me to the Updates menu where it said there was 1 update waiting to be installed. I clicked on 'Check for updates' then it came up (after checking) that it was all up to date and has cleared the taskbar notification away now thank goodness (as I too wondered if I was going to get that every morning).

Just one little thing I am wondering, the update file that was manually downloaded (KB955428_en-US.msp) to install the update, do I need to file that away in a specific folder now as it is just sitting in my 'My Completed Downloads' folder at the moment? Just wanting to keep things clean :) Thanks. :)

My Computer

Updates Issues

A couple of Update issues:

Tried to install Update KB955428 (MS Works 8). It asked to insert MS Works 8 disc, but my computer came with Works 8.5 and when I put that disc in, it did not recognize it and received error 8024002D.

Also, tried to install Update Office XP Service Pack 3 and it asks for the Office XP disc. I don't have the disc so cannot update it. How can I delete it from the update reminder? I'm tired of it always notifying me that it's available.

Any feedback on the above would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

My Computer

Updates often will offer you something you've already installed, but when it checks it realises you've got it and vanishes.

The only reason to keep it handy would be perhaps for a backup pending a reinstall. But it should always be available at MSFT website anyway, so I would chuck it out.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Win 10 Pro x64 x 2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Alienware ALX x58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500gb SATA II
    1 x 1TB SATA II
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Unique
    Cooling
    Internet Speed
    1gb/s up and down
Glad to help. :D

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Win 10 Pro x64 x 2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Alienware ALX x58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500gb SATA II
    1 x 1TB SATA II
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Unique
    Cooling
    Internet Speed
    1gb/s up and down
Re: Updates Issues

I have installed KB955428 after getting error code 8024402D by going to Download details: Update for Microsoft Works 8 (KB955428) and downloading KB955428_en-US.cab. Save it to your C: drive and then a window will come up and extract it to your c: drive also. Go to your c: drive and click the extracted file and an install will appear to be installing and will disappear. Restart your computer and download the update KB955428 and it should succeed. I hope this helps you.

My Computer

:huh:OK - I'm sorry but I've read all of the info about KB949041 and KB955428 and all of the instructions on how to jerk the OS around to get it to accept the "updates" and nothing is working. Mostly due to my lack of "Tech Savvy", I guess. If the update is smart enough to know why it can't load, but it still sees that it needs to load - why can't it supply what is needed. I have parked them in my "hide" file because I still think MS can do something highly unusual and that is to produce an update that just UPDATES.. Can ANYONE just give me a "step by step" process to get these things over and done with? I've got the proper files required except the one supposedly supplied by my computer manufacturer. (Have you TRIED getting things like that from HP? - MS knows my copy is legitimate - why can't you just supply what's needed and stop the games? I get the message requesting WORKS8.MSI located in C:\hp\temp\src\MSWORKS. I requested recovery disks from HP and they sent the ones that reformat the hard drive back to factory specs. The ones created (one copy only allowed - stupid) were destroyed in our move here when I got cancer. Please - somebody - just plain step by step and no gobbeldy gook - please !

Last edited:

My Computer

Hi, what you do is go to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...c3-9c6f-4049-81cd-0d0389c81f11&DisplayLang=en find the
KB955428_en-US.cab file, click download. A window will appear and you select save, navigate to the C: drive, this is where you want to save it. Then you will go to the file you downloaded to the C: drive and you will rt. click and select extract. Navigate and save to your C: drive again. Then locate the file you extracted to your C: drive and click on it and it will open a window and will appear to install and will disappear. Then restart your computer and then download the update and you should succeed. I hope this was step by step enough and will help you. =]

My Computer

Thank you very much. That was so simple even I did it. How about KB949041. Same thing. Generic "Help" (4397) page leads nowhere.

Really appreciate your plain solution.

Thanks.

My Computer

Phil, I will take a look at this for you but need some details. What is your system, vista and what is the error code you get when you try to install it? I think that we are on the wrong post for this error but you can give me your email and maybe I can help you.

Last edited:

My Computer

Back