Error installing Vista x64

Dual boot is easy. You do them in legacy order. 32-bit before 64-bit.

Backup and blank the drive. Start clean. Move everything to an external drive and unplug it.

Install XP Pro in C: as primary partition. It holds the boot and system partitions. Make it 30-40GB.

When installed, service pack and patch it to latest.

Once done. Install your next OS. Do it in an extended partition with logical partitions. You don't need primary for it.

C: the boot files will install here

D: or E: system partition for your next OS.

this sounds like the winner I think. I can backup and move most of my files, videos and music etc to my windows home server. The rest is just apps that can be downloaded again. That's not a major issue.

As for formatting the drive, would you recomend deleting the partition that Iset up named Caprica E:\, as above and merging it back to 1 active partition, and then use FDISK to format, or will the Full format on the XP installation be ok? I want to make sure that there isn't any remnants of my old vista installation.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD 64 x2 5600+
    Motherboard
    MSI K9A2GM-FIH
    Memory
    4 GB DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS EAH3650
    Hard Drives
    300GB Hitachi SATA2
I used that method for

C: primary : Windows 2000 Pro SP4

Extended:
D: XP Pro SP2
E: XP x64 SP2
and I installed Redhat Fedora Core 7.

I heard of some issues with Vista x64 on dual booting. You do need separate partitions to dual boot. I would suggest C: around 30-40GB. Vista 40GB + RAM for D:. Only create C: on XP Pro. Don't create the other partition till you install Vista.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
    Motherboard
    Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
I used that method for

C: primary : Windows 2000 Pro SP4

Extended:
D: XP Pro SP2
E: XP x64 SP2
and I installed Redhat Fedora Core 7.

I heard of some issues with Vista x64 on dual booting. You do need separate partitions to dual boot. I would suggest C: around 30-40GB. Vista 40GB + RAM for D:. Only create C: on XP Pro. Don't create the other partition till you install Vista.

I dunno.... if this is simply for the Sir Edmund Hillary Syndrome (Because it's there or because you could), I guess it's doable.

My question would be, for what reasonable purpose is this necessary? I honestly would like to know.

I used to have a dual-boot machine with Win98SE and XP that had 3 drives. 1st drive was Win98SE, 2nd drive was XP, 3rd drive was a FAT32 data drive shared by the O/S's. This was necessary because there were some legacy programs that need DOS to run, and I absolutely had to have them. Newer apps I had did not run on Win98SE, therefore I needed both, period.

I currently have machines running XP Pro x86 and x64, and Vista x86 an x64 all on different machines. Virtually all apps I have, mostly Video Coding (like Nero and VirtualDub) or Desktop Publishing (Like Adobe Premiere, PhotoShop, etc), run on all of the O/S's. The only reason I have the several machines with different flavor O/S's is to compare and ferret out problems, as I support several businesses who do DTP or CAD work.

Please enlighten me on the merits of dual-booting these days.

Thanks!

My Computer

Some games run better in XP Pro. Also upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit is not a good idea. You need to clean install to get Vista x64 to work properly. So keeping XP Pro around will give you a working OS till you get Vista working.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
    Motherboard
    Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID