External Hard Drive for Vista Ultimate x64

Thanks Itwally, What Iam actually after is I wanted to have the external Harddisk as a Primary so tht I can install Vista 64bit version and MAC OS X on it and boot and play around... I ve been looking in to some forums and loads of guys are having problems with Seagate harddisk... Some people are saying they have never got issue with MAXTOR & Western Digital harddisks..Also most of the external harddisks are mentioning XP/Vista/MAC OS x compatible but they never mentioned 64bit OS versions...
Pls if any of you guys suggest me which one to go for? ANy help much appreciated.

Thankyou.

My Computer

How about the other option: Backup to a website? How is it done?

Well, I know my techie friend does daily backup automatically to a website and weekly and at random to an external HDD and monthly to several DVD's. But that's what he does for a living. Lots of clients' files he cannot afford to lose.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv7-1170us
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.00GHz
    Motherboard
    Compal
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    289.09 GB
    Keyboard
    IBM enhanced (101-or 102) keyboard
    Mouse
    Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    cable Wireless
Thanks Itwally, What Iam actually after is I wanted to have the external Harddisk as a Primary so tht I can install Vista 64bit version and MAC OS X on it and boot and play around... I ve been looking in to some forums and loads of guys are having problems with Seagate harddisk... Some people are saying they have never got issue with MAXTOR & Western Digital harddisks..Also most of the external harddisks are mentioning XP/Vista/MAC OS x compatible but they never mentioned 64bit OS versions...
Pls if any of you guys suggest me which one to go for? ANy help much appreciated.

Thankyou.

As long as you have a decent E-SATA drive, you should be fine with Vista. Just boot from it instead of your internal drive.

As to OSX... well, last I knew you needed a special version of EFI for that. That is to say: it won't work with just any motherboard. There is always virtualisation, though.

My Computer

How about the other option: Backup to a website? How is it done?

Well, I know my techie friend does daily backup automatically to a website and weekly and at random to an external HDD and monthly to several DVD's. But that's what he does for a living. Lots of clients' files he cannot afford to lose.

This question should probably be moved to a different topic, as it is completely non-related.

However, I'll answer up: internet backup services fall into two basic categories:
1) For the home user. These services are cheap (or even free), but much like Google or Yahoo, do not offer much in the line of guarantees that your stuff will always be there. There are low odds that their storage server with all your backups on it will crash at the exact moment you need them... but you need to understand that with most things in life, you get what you pay for. Also, the transfer speeds for a free or cheap service will be much slower - as bandwidth costs $$.

2) For the business user. These services tend to run $0.50 - $1.00 per gigabyte of storage space, per month. They can become extremely expensive very quickly. On the flip side, what they're offering is a superior service, guaranteeing that your data will not get lost and that you will have speedy access to it.

On to your actual question: how is it done?

The basic idea is pretty simple. You create an account with them, and then download and install their backup program. It runs at prescheduled intervals, and uploads changes to any files that you have pre-selected for backup to their servers. (The more files, the longer this can take. Days or even weeks for the free services.)

Then, when you accidentally wipe out one of those files, or your computer crashes, you simply tell the application to restore file xyz, and it downloads it off whatever server the file(s) was stored on.

I am unaware of any of the home user / cheapie backup services being able to any type of disaster recovery - that is where you put a CD or DVD into your computer and it pulls everything it needs off the internet to put your computer back exactly as it was when you last backed up. The cheapie services are intended solely for Word documents and your photo collections.

My Computer

Joel 406:
U seemed to have helped agmiller there. Hopefully u can do the same for me. Not a computer tech. I'm not too worried about price first off. I'll shop for the deal. I need an external HD 1TB preferrable. I have an HP desk top home premium windows vista 64bit system. I am using a cable modem with the belkin N+ router to cnnect to four other house hold computers. I need an external HD USB 2.0 that connects right to the router so the other computers can get it at any time. I had originall picked up the Seagate Free Agent 2.0 plugged it into the router only for the poopo to say it was not 64bit compatable. Is there anything I can do to hook mup an HD. Remember its not going to the computer directly it hooks into the router only via USb 2.0

My Computer

Back