Fear 2 is already out...

Well I finished the game last night. I thought the game was great and it ran well on my system. The game's forum at Steam has a lot of complaining about issues like graphics, length of game, AI. Some are valid, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the game. Personally I didn't find the graphics all that bad. Contrast that with Crysis...beautiful game, but a slide show.

The game's auto detection system sets my game to max settings, except for AA, that's set to 4X, and sets the resolution at 1024x768 but I manually set it to 1280x1024 and the game ran flawlessly.

With regards to the wireless mouse performance, I've had no issues with my Logitech wireless mouse (MX Revolution) and wireless keyboard (Logitech Wave).

Are you using the setpoint drivers for your mouse? In the software's options under "Mouse Game Settings" - Under game detection try checking the box that says "Enabled" I myself don't have this box checked, but it might help you.

Setpoint game settings.JPG

On being lost - explore.

At any rate I enjoyed the game and will be playing it again.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    Corsair TWIN2X4096-PC8500 (2x2GHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 4890 (1GHz)
    Sound Card
    X-Fi Titanium - Fatality Pro Series
    Monitor(s) Displays
    hp w2207h (22" widescreen)
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    One 750GB, 2x500GB Western Digital Caviar Black Hard Drives (32meg)
    PSU
    Antec Neo HE 550
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9500 AT
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    "High" Speed DSL? Is that like low speed FIOS?
    Other Info
    Q6600 B3 Revision OC to 3.0GHz
Hey AstaLaVista,

Just read this at Rage3D - (Rage3D Discussion Area - View Single Post - FEAR Sequel - Project Origin)

Originally Posted by nutcrackr
I do wish I could get mouse 4 and 5 working though.

Just re-map them to something like 'page up' and 'page down' in your mouse software.. then go into game settings and set it up as well..

I use G9 and had to do this for these buttons to be recognised by FEAR2..

Might work for you?

Incidentally the guys over there love the game.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Antec Neo HE 550
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9500 AT
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
The game can get a little Tedious between Interval 01 to Interval 03 since you seem to be going around in circles and using the same places to have your battles with the clone AI's... or so it seems.

If you have a Wireless Mouse & KB then, that makes me a little happier because it means my problems are due to heat and not to wireless issues... we'll see in a couple of days... or weeks, depending on what I do with the neighbor and his rig ;)

Yes, I use set point and I am almost positive that I have Game Detection ENABLED, even though, from time to time, Vista decides to change the "Speed & Acceleration" from Setpoint implementation to OS implementation and I have not been able to figure it out why or how to get rid of that... Vista is still kicking my but in certain areas (rather much of the areas that I need to use and don't know much about it :D)

Last Night I was already tired when I got to the part where you need to get out of the building before it explode, I saw the ai running around like chiken with their heads cut off and I felt sort of a panic sense to get out so I just went with it w/o stoping to smell the roses... I'll see what's what tonight when I get home.

So far, I like the game because it flows very well, sans the mouse issue, it is far less tedious than Far Cry 2, which, I didn't last more than a few hours and tossed it to the side like a bad cold. Graphics are excellent, the port to pc seems to be extremely optimized sans that issue with the side button of the mouse.

I am just hoping that once I get outside, the game will turn for the better and not worse.

eDIT, i WILL TRY THAT to see if it works, even though, I tried to rebbind it to other letters to no avail.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Q9650 w/CM V8 Cooler...
    Motherboard
    EVGA 780i SLI FTW... Latest Bios & Drivers
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator 8GB (4 x 2GB) PC2-8500C5D
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX260
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Def Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 22" LCD Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    WD Velociraptor 160GB
    Samsung Sata 750GB
    Maxtor External 160GB
    PSU
    PC Power & Cooling 750w Silencer
    Case
    Thermaltake Speedo Advance
    Cooling
    Air Cooled... See CPU
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15
    Mouse
    Logitech G7
    Internet Speed
    Comcast 6MB Broadband
    Other Info
    Linksys WRT54G router
The game can get a little Tedious between Interval 01 to Interval 03 since you seem to be going around in circles and using the same places to have your battles with the clone AI's... or so it seems.

Yes, I use set point and I am almost positive that I have Game Detection ENABLED, even though, from time to time, Vista decides to change the "Speed & Acceleration" from Setpoint implementation to OS implementation and I have not been able to figure it out why or how to get rid of that... Vista is still kicking my but in certain areas (rather much of the areas that I need to use and don't know much about it :D)

The game does pick up and there are some great fight scenes to come. I really enjoyed the game. Will play again on hard. As for Far Cry 2 - I'll wait till in drops under $20. From the reviews I read, positive & negative, it's not my cup of tea. However Far Cry 1 continues to be one of my favorites.

Yeah Vista does have its annoying issues, however I've never experienced any setpoint software issues under Vista. Especially the "Speed & Acceleration" resets. I just double checked and mine is, and has always been, set to "Setpoint implementation" You running the the latest setpoint software (4.70's)?

Anyway back to FEAR 2, great game, good game play, but I can't say it's better than FEAR 1.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Antec Neo HE 550
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9500 AT
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
Good to hear that the game picks up... can't wait.

As for Fear 2, I have a Brand New Copy that I got with the EVGA GTX260 card, $ 20.00 will get it to your door (well, within Continental US that is ;)). I loved FC 1 so much that I guess I didn't give this one much of a chance.

Yes, I do have their latest software but I think it was 4.60, will check to see if they got anything new since I also thought I had the latest audio drivers and it turned out I didn't.

So far, I like it better than FEAR just because there is less Gore Factor and less Multimedia show showing gore stuff I could really do away with... can't really explain that well enough

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Q9650 w/CM V8 Cooler...
    Motherboard
    EVGA 780i SLI FTW... Latest Bios & Drivers
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator 8GB (4 x 2GB) PC2-8500C5D
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX260