Solved Formatting HDD

That's what I was gonna ask you! lol

I'm viewing it now and under the $Recycle.Bin folder there are 3 sub folders. Each begins with S-1-5-21, and then loads of numbers afterwards. Only one of the folders holds all of the 80-odd Gig.

You know how every sub folder in your WER folder has like 2 word docs, and then some other stuff as well? Well, looking at it in WinDirStat it almost seems exactly the same, only it's in a different folder.

I'm gonna look into it, but if anyone knows anything about $Recycle.Bin S-1-5-21 then please let me know

My Computer

Top left hand corner on the Desktop screen is a waste paper Basket. Right click on it then chose explore. Everything you have ever deleted is in there. At the top of the page it says Empty recyle bin! Click on that if your sure that you need nothing in that bin. If you need to keep something right click on it and click on restore you will then find it where it originally was.

After you have emptied Recycle bin you will definitly have enough space to re-install or restore windows. Good luck and click on my scales next to my name at the top thanks...

I know how to empty my recycle bin!:p

But this isn't my Recycle Bin, it's empty, but WinDirStat says there's a folder on my laptop called $Recycle.Bin that has all these folders in.

My Computer

Helllo Paul,

Do you have any shared users on this PC - The S..... numbers are Security Identifiers (SID) for other users. they may also be remnants of your previous ID on previous installs

To remove them you will possibly have to take ownership of the folder or maybe even boot into safe mode as the Hidden administrator

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Latest Release Preview
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer G276HL 27", (DVi) + Samsung 39" HDTV (HDMI)
    Screen Resolution
    2 x 1920x1080 @50Hz
  • Manufacturer/Model
    Real World Computers (Custom by Me)
    CPU
    AMD FX8350 Vishera 8 Core @4GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A78L-M USB3
    Memory
    32GB [4x8GB] DDR3 1600 MHz
    Graphics card(s)
    Asus nVidia GTX750TI-OC-2GD5 (2GB DDR5)
    Sound Card
    ASUS Xoner DG + SPDIF to 5.1 System + HDMI
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 32" TV
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Internal
    Crucial CT256MX100SSD1 256GB SSD,
    Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH1 2TB,

External (USB3)
    Seagate Backup+ Hub BK SCSI Disk 8TB
    2.5/3.5 Hot Swap Cradle, USB3 + eSata (client HDDs)
    NAS 4TB
    PSU
    Aerocool Templarius Imperator 750W 80+ Silver
    Case
    AeroCool X-Warrior Red Devil Tower
    Cooling
    Hyper103 CPU, Rear 120mm, Front 2x120mm, Side 2x120mm
    Internet Speed
    68 MB Down 18.5 MB Up
    Other Info
    Six Sensor Auto / Manual Digital cooling (Fan) control with Touch control Panel
:cry: Sorry!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 St
    Motherboard
    Asus STRIKER EXTREME 680I SLI
    Memory
    Corsair 4GB Kit (4x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Point Of View 8800GT 512MB GDD
    Sound Card
    Soundmax 5.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 46"
    Screen Resolution
    1080P
    Hard Drives
    1x WD Raptor WD360ADFD 36GB SATA 10KRPM 16MB Cache
    1x WD Raptor WD740DFD 74GB SATA 10KRPM 16MB Cache
    PSU
    Coolermaster 600W
    Case
    Coolermaster nVidia
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooling Extreme
    Keyboard
    MS Wireless Entertainment Keyboard 7000
    Mouse
    MS Wireless Laser mouse 8000
    Internet Speed
    1.2mb & 10mb
Helllo Paul,

Do you have any shared users on this PC - The S..... numbers are Security Identifiers (SID) for other users. they may also be remnants of your previous ID on previous installs

To remove them you will possibly have to take ownership of the folder or maybe even boot into safe mode as the Hidden administrator

I looked it up on Google and have noticed that sometimes it has something to with previous accounts on the system. I have only ever had one user this laptop throughout it's life.

Do you think it is safe to delete these? When I view the $Recycle.Bin folder it says it's empty (But under properties it says it takes up over 80gb), but I view each individual folder without a problem

My Computer

Hi Paul,

See if this does it,

Type cmd in start search box - when it pops up, rt click and run as Admin.

At the prompt, type:

rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin {enter}

close cmd prompt.

DEL-REC-BIN-CMD2009-02-28_004152.jpg

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
The first time I done it nothing happened (although I seem to have freed up about 2GB doing this?)

I didn't think it had done anything, so I done it again, and it just said Access Denied for loads of different things.

Just done another WinDirStat scan and it's still coming up with the same stats.

The $Recycle.Bin folder is taking up over 80GB on my laptop!

[EDIT] Just seen that it's deleted all but one of the sub folders within the $Recycle.Bin, the only folder left is S-1-5-21-3136249861-3845900593-2404512697-1000, which occupies the 80GB

My Computer

Are you able to empty it?

If not, on your C drive, find "$Recycle.bin" folder and delete it with rt click Shift + Delete. Vista will make a fresh one on reboot.

Hope it helps

SIW2

Sorry I never saw the last but of this post, the over excitement of finding the folder blinded me slightly:D

So you reckon it's safe to delete it? It doesn't seem neccesary to keep it otherwise everyone would have a file of that size wouldn't they?

My Computer

It's perfectly safe to do that. You may get the Access denied you got when you tried the commands.

Otherwise, make sure you have your Vista product key and copy anything you want to keep off the drive.

D/l this

SourceForge.net: GParted: Downloading ...

Burn to recordable cd with this

View attachment Burn CDCC.zip

Boot from cd - it loads into RAM - stops 3 times asking about keyboard , language, etc. - press Enter each time - the defaults are fine.

You see a window with your drive, Rt click the drive, select Delete, click Apply

All gone. Exit the program and remove cd.

Should be able to do a clean install with Vista dvd now.

Hope it helps

SIW2

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
I'm so happy I could cry. I really could. Sad, I know, but I could

I deleted the folder.

I started the day with a 103GB HDD with a mere 7GB of free space.

I end the day with a 103GB HDD with 91.4GB of free space.

The folder occupied pathetic amounts of HDD space. You seriously can't understand how much hell this problem has been putting me through, you really can't. For a whole year I was watching my laptop die.

Thank you to everyone. Thank you for the help, the time and the effort. Thank you for explaining things simply and offering 100% advice no matter what. You have genuinely made my year.

Thank you all.

On a less emotional note, anyone know why this occupied so much space on just MY system?!

My Computer

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
Thanks for the link, just running the scan now.

Just one more thing, back to my initial problem. Even though I've freed up every bit of my HDD that had dissapeared, I'm still thinking about reinstalling Vista (because I've had the system for about 2-3 years now)

But I'm still having the same problem; when I boot from startup, once it gets past the initial stage ("Windows is loading files...") the screen goes blank and does nothing.

I thought it was something to do with the fact I didn't have enough HDD space left, but that's obviously not the case because I tried to reinstall this morning.

My only option left is the click Computer> CD Drive, and click "Install" when prompted. Will that perform a clean install or what?

Thanks again.

My Computer

Hi Paul,

If you run setup from the dvd after you have booted into your existing installation , you will get an upgrade install ( sometimes called a repair install ).

To do a clean install, you need to boot from the dvd.

It is not impossible you have a hardware problem, but it's unlikely as you can get into your existing system ok, you just can't install from the dvd.

My guess is the dvd is damaged- even slight damage can cause it to fail.

You might try the Repair/upgrade install and see how far you can get with that - if it messes up, you might not be able to use the o/s at all.

I would borrow a Vista dvd (correct bit version-either 32 or 64 bit, whatever you have. The files for all Editions are on the dvd's - the product key you enter determines which Edition is installed).

Otherwise, get hold of a Vista .iso file and burn it to a dvd using an isoburner - (do not format the dvd - if autoplay pops up-just close it).

http://www.vistax64.com/attachments/general-discussion/10459-formatting-hdd-burn-cdcc.zip

Then try a clean install with the second dvd.

Hope it helps

SIW2

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
You're welcome.

What did you end up doing?

SIW2

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
I ran the install within Windows byt double clicking the disk icon in My Computer.

I followed the instructions on the MS website. It left the old Windows files behind but I deleted them with Disk Cleaner so all is good.

Just delighted I've managed to reclaim my laptop back!

My Computer

Back