Gaming in 64bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
although I love vista I have problems with my 64-bit. my advice to you is make sure all your games are compatible. once everything converts it will be the way to go.

My Computer

Oblivion played great in x64 Ultimate.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
    Motherboard
    Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
Dude, do the 64 bit. OEM is great, if you need "support" you can get better support right here than you can from Microsoft, and it's FREE lol.

True that. I just built a new machine and spent several hours on the phone with Microsoft Tech support, and the only thing I came away with was how to "clean" the drive before you install. I found better help (and more relevant information) here than Microsoft has.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    E6850 3.0GHz
    Motherboard
    EVGA 790i Ultra
    Memory
    2x2Gb (4GB) OCZ3P13334GK
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 8800GTS 512MB KO
    Hard Drives
    WD 150GB Raptor
is there a price difference in x86 and x64? i bought x64 OEM for same price as x86 250AUD..

so happy just built new system, no problems with hardware/software compatability so far, i found all the 64 bit drivers i needed, ie. printer, etc and all my applications i need seem to run nicely without problem.. except, cuz of the permissions thing, punkbuster seems to have problems downloading files for cod4 and keeps getting kicked =(

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Core2Quad Q6700 2.66GHz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte EP35-DS3
    Memory
    2x Corsair 1024MB 6400C4
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 9600GT 512MB
    Hard Drives
    2x Samsung 500GB
Dude, do the 64 bit. OEM is great, if you need "support" you can get better support right here than you can from Microsoft, and it's FREE lol.

True that. I just built a new machine and spent several hours on the phone with Microsoft Tech support, and the only thing I came away with was how to "clean" the drive before you install. I found better help (and more relevant information) here than Microsoft has.

Down here they just refer you to KB articles on there site and dont bother doing anything else unless you pay them for the support...oh and Bubba got banned a few weeks ago.

Steven

My Computer

Down here they just refer you to KB articles on there site and dont bother doing anything else unless you pay them for the support...oh and Bubba got banned a few weeks ago.

Steven

Most KB articles are pretty good and resolve a lot of problems. I've been using them for quite some time as a valuable resource. There's are far more resources from Microsoft as well before you even call them.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 3.2GHz
    Motherboard
    Abit IP35-E @ 1600FSB
    Memory
    4GB Hynix DDR2-800
    Graphics Card(s)
    PowerColor Radeon X1900XT
    Hard Drives
    (2) 320GB Seagate 7200.10

Steven

Most KB articles are pretty good and resolve a lot of problems. I've been using them for quite some time as a valuable resource. There's are far more resources from Microsoft as well before you even call them.

Yeah they are, I learnt a very, very long time ago it was pointless calling them for help with anything :(

My Computer

90 perfcent of my games run on Vista 64. The games that don't are either too old, or use some hybrid install routine, or a 16bit install routine, or are 16bit programs.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Core 2 Duo E6600
    Motherboard
    Intel 975XBX2
    Memory
    8GB's of DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon 3870X2
    Sound Card
    HT Omega Claro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2030wm Widescreen LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1680X1050
    Hard Drives
    120GB
    200GB
    320GB
    PSU
    ThermalTake Toughpower 700
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    four 120mm fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Intellimous Explorer 2.0
    Internet Speed
    10MB
    Other Info
    16X LG DVDROM & LG Dual Layer DVD Burner
    Logitech X-540 speakers
For all HP computers, 64-bit is pretty good. They supply customers with all the necessary drivers for both 32-bit and 64-bit of the default operating system which is packaged with the system. Mine came with Vista Home Premium, which I late upgraded to Ultimate x64 and found all the drivers right on the HP website.

If you build the computer and only buy the components, it will probably be difficult to find certain drivers. Any graphics card is available in 64-bit but any non-standard component like an extra feature on the computer case like LED info may not.

If you find a computer you are really interested in buying, find the drivers first if you plan on actually getting 64-bit. Otherwise you'll be fine with 32-bit drivers with XP or Vista.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD Athlon X2 3800+
    Motherboard
    NodusM3
    Memory
    2560 MB DDR2 @ 257.7 MHz @ 4-4-4-12
    Graphics Card(s)
    KFA2 GeForce 8500GT 500/400/1K
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG 250GB SATA 7200RPM
I would definitely go with the 64 if your a gamer. I haven't had any issues with drivers yet and yes, there are a lot of updates but that doesn't bother me too much. The only setback that does bother me is that a lot of applications that I liked aren't compatible with x64. But the speed when running heavy games makes it totally worth it!

My Computer

I would definitely go with the 64 if your a gamer. I haven't had any issues with drivers yet and yes, there are a lot of updates but that doesn't bother me too much. The only setback that does bother me is that a lot of applications that I liked aren't compatible with x64. But the speed when running heavy games makes it totally worth it!

I agree with this in general, but the fact that not all gamers are interested in cutting edge games. If you have a stable of older 32bit games that you love I would suggest staying away from 64bit entirely.

Last edited:

My Computer

I agree with this in general, but the fact that not all gamers are interested in cutting edge games. I you have a stable of older 32bit games that you love I would suggest staying away from 64bit entirely.

Horsehockey, 90 percent of 32bit games will run just fine on Vista 64, those that don't are either two old, or use a 16bit or 24bit install routine. However, if you want everything to run, than stick to 32bit Vista.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Core 2 Duo E6600
    Motherboard
    Intel 975XBX2
    Memory
    8GB's of DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon 3870X2
    Sound Card
    HT Omega Claro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2030wm Widescreen LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1680X1050
    Hard Drives
    120GB
    200GB
    320GB
    PSU
    ThermalTake Toughpower 700
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    four 120mm fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Intellimous Explorer 2.0
    Internet Speed
    10MB
    Other Info
    16X LG DVDROM & LG Dual Layer DVD Burner
    Logitech X-540 speakers
Having just installed Win. X64, I'll admit that I've had some trouble getting some of my games to work. It my be "operator error", and I'm still working it out though. My wife is a photographer and the X64 stuff is working perfectly for her.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD 64 X2 6400 @ 3.4 GHZ
    Motherboard
    ASUS M2R32-MVP
    Memory
    8 GIGS OCZ Reaper @ 2.0V
    Graphics Card(s)
    2 - MSI 3870 in Crossfire
    Hard Drives
    1 - WD Raptor 36Gig
    1 - WD Raptor 150Gig
    1 - WD Caviar 500Gig
    1 - WD External 500Gig
Having just installed Win. X64, I'll admit that I've had some trouble getting some of my games to work. It my be "operator error", and I'm still working it out though. My wife is a photographer and the X64 stuff is working perfectly for her.

Which is why I said what I did. The last thing we need are more Vista "horror stories." You obviously have the stones to stick with it, but that's rare. Let folks come to 64bit on their own. ;)

My Computer

Well, its been a bit trying...but I'll say one thing...its a great OS with some fantastic features. I'm thinking that the problems I'm having are driver issues, but I certainly would'nt tell someone not to get it. It just takes some patience sometimes, and a great forum to answer the questions when they come up. :)

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD 64 X2 6400 @ 3.4 GHZ
    Motherboard
    ASUS M2R32-MVP
    Memory
    8 GIGS OCZ Reaper @ 2.0V
    Graphics Card(s)
    2 - MSI 3870 in Crossfire
    Hard Drives
    1 - WD Raptor 36Gig
    1 - WD Raptor 150Gig
    1 - WD Caviar 500Gig
    1 - WD External 500Gig
I was gung-ho about about reccomending Vista in general, at first. The problem is that its taken so much undeserved bad press that even lots of supposedly tech savvy people bristle at the mention of the word "Vista."

My Computer

You can always list the OS you are using (XP64 or Vista x64) and the games you are unable to get running and perhaps someone here has some experience in the matter (if Google has not already provided help).

So far nothing I have tried in XP64 or Vista x64 has failed to run, and I have gone back as far as Age of Empires, the original.

My Computer

It's important, IMO, to take hardware into account as well when offering advice. Generally, among the people I know, most have far less than contemporary HW, and they're satisfied mostly because the games they play don't need advanced HW or SW.

My Computer

But you're not making recommendations to the people that you know because, as you say,
Redviper said:
and they're satisfied mostly because the games they play don't need advanced HW or SW.
So, when making recommendations to *others* you need to look at what they are running and what possibilities they may run in the future. To say that you will not run / recommend x64 OSs because a person is 'comfortable' with x86 OSs is mildly absurd - I mean, hell, I'd recommend 32bit too - except that within 2 years you won't be able to run 32bit OSs unless your machine is cripplingly old. 32bit OSs cannot make full use of 4 GB RAM - and Vista already needs 3 GB to run adequately.

To recommend that someone stay with a 32bit OS would be pertinent ***only*** is if you are 100% sure they are not planning on doing any hardware upgrades in the near future, and neither are they going to need any advanced capabilities from their already x64 compliant hardware.

I have seen all the Vista bad press - and yet I am still pushing for Vista as the established OS. Part of the bad press comes from OEMs pushing machines that were not really Vista capable as 'Vista capable" and another part of the bad press comes from perennial naysayers who just like to bash Microsoft (Ed Bott did a great expose on some 'technical writer' who bashed Vista earlier this year - turns out that the same guy used almost the same words for XP 7 years ago - and Bott proved it with Google Archive material.

I don't care what others think about an OS - my personal experience matters more to me.

Finally, as to taking into account hardware when making recommendations: Good idea, but you forgot one important thing:

• This is a Gaming forum
  • The topic of *this* thread.

You also need to be aware of *where* you're posting to see if your posts are all that relevant or not.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro X64 Insider Preview (Skip Ahead) latest build
    Manufacturer/Model
    The Beast Model V (homebrew)
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 965 EE @ 3.6 GHz
    Motherboard
    eVGA X58 Classified 3 (141-GT-E770-A1)
    Memory
    3 * Mushkin 998981 Redline Enhanced triple channel DDR3 4 GB CL7 DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3-12800)
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 (04G-P4-3979-KB)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio (onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 * Lenovo LT2323pwA Widescreeen
    Screen Resolution
    2 * 1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    SanDisk Ultra SDSSDHII-960G-G25 960 GB SATA III SSD (System)
    Crucial MX100 CT256MX100SSD1 256GB SATA III SSD (User Tree)
    2 * Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA II Mech. HD
    Seagate ST1500DL001-9VT15L Barracuda 7200.12 1.5 TB S
    PSU
    Thermaltake Black Widow TX TR2 850W 80+ Bronze Semi-Mod ATX
    Case
    ThermalTake Level 10 GT (Black)
    Cooling
    Corsair H100 (CPU, dual 140 mm fans on radiator) + Air (2 *
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 (gen 2)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master (shared)
    Internet Speed
    AT&T Lightspeed Gigabit duplex
  • Operating System
    Sabayon Linux (current, weekly updates, 5.1.x kernel)
    Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo ThinkPad E545
    CPU
    AMD A6-5350M APU
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics card(s)
    Radeon HD (Embedded)
    Sound Card
    Conextant 20671 SmartAudio HD