Solved Gee.... (BSOD error - system_service_exception and all the other good stuff)

Well, wasn't a success on both of them, but I finally found out where they hide the minidumps (why didn't you guys tell me, it was such an obvious location D: ? )

But here they are-

To download them, enter the numbers, press enter, unclick the checkmarked box beside the cocktail glass, and click on the link with the .dmp.html at the end.

Dump 1
Dump 2
Dump 3
Dump 4
Dump 5
Dump 6
Dump 7

My Computer

It looks like a driver.
You need to do the verifier test. Read the warnings carefully

Driver Verifier Inst

Since the driver that crashed you has not been listed you shouldrun driver verifier
Please run Verifier with these settings:
Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition. Most times it'll crash and it'lltell you what the driver is. But sometimes it'll crash and won't tell you thedriver. Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows. If you can'tget to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registryto disable Driver Verifier.
So, I'd suggest that you first backup your stuff and then make sure you've gotaccess to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make aSystem Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Windows 7Startup Repair feature).
Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and pressEnter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click"Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click"Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click"Next"
NOTE: You can use Low Resource Simulation if you'd like. From my limitedexperimentation it makes the BSOD's come faster.
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.
Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to useyour system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do thatrepeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because DriverVerifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let itrun for at least 36 hours of continuous operation (an estimate on my part).
Reboot into Windows (after the crash) and turn off Driver Verifier by goingback in and selecting "Delete existing settings" on the first page,then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post.
If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from yourinstallation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that youcreated.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I do wish you luck
Now remember dont get upset if you get a BSOD, you are suppose to. It puts stress on the bad driver so we can tell which one it is. Let it run for a day or so.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Aha.
The I/O thingy on the verifier, after getting the verifier up and running, while booting, found a driver that violated something (in which, the BSOD showed up)

What do I do?

My Computer

And reading further, I read that registry cleaners and other "optimizers" can kill off the driver.

Since my friend does not know how to use the PC properly, he installed so many "optimizers" it hurts my eyes.
That should be of some help.

My Computer

After we get this fixed, remind me Ill let you know how to maintain the computer.
The optimizers may have caused a problem, but dont know how. We need the verifier
Im signing off after this. See you tomorrow

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Turns out it's iastor.sys that is causing the IQRL Blue screen..... so what did I do? Uninstall it. And the driver files.
And then I just restarted it..... back on Safe Mode.
Now note that I have done it three times, because I kept seeing the iastor driver on the load list (it's a necessity, d'oh) so I kept doing it until I found out it was reinstalling.
Also note that the signature looked a little suspicious to me- before unintallation (and the inevitable reinstallation), I noticed that the driver signature was "microsoft windows compatibility"-something. It was all lowercase. And after reinstallation, the signature was "microsoft windows", also lowercase. Could it be the "optimizers" doing it?
So the driver automatically reinstalled, and went on its blue screen routine. With a twist.
Now, it goes midboot, and immediately goes on BSOD, and just says that an error has been encountered, and it's pretty much dead. Not even Safe Mode will work without that error.
Damn.
It is totaled, and requires either a rescue CD or a re-installation, or is there still hope? I could put some bootable ISOs on my CDs, so if it requires that, I would be more than happy to do it.

My Computer

Thats an intel driver. Go to the intel site and update driver. If you cant do that the instructions that I gave using the recovery cd.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Based upon what you know and can get, I think that the choices are limited. I will help with anything that you come up with. You can try this if you can

If you create a recovery DVD, you may be able to boot to recovery options
Create Recovery DVD.
Hard Disc Controller must be set to IDE in BIOS and Bios must be set to boot from the CD Boot Priority - Change

The Vista recovery disk is used to boot Vista when it won't boot - to run Startup Repair, System Restore, access a Command Line, Recover using a Vista Backup Image, etc.
System Recovery Options. Choose an option tht will not cause you to lose your stuff.

If Vista will not start now, boot the Recovery CD to run Startup Repair which automates System Restore as well as numerous other tests including System File Checker which can repair system files which are not corrupted beyond repair.

If Vista still will not start, try booting into Safe Mode to run sfc /scannow to repair System files.
Special Thanks Given to Seven Forums.

Below is a bulletin distributed by MS to explain the start up procedure when Windows will not boot.
  • Startup Repair. Startup Repair is a Windows recovery tool that can fix certain problems, such as missing or damaged system files, that might prevent Windows from starting. Startup Repair is located on the System Recovery Options menu, which is on the Windows Vista installation disc. If your computer has preinstalled recovery options, it might also be stored on your computer's hard disk. For more information, see Startup Repair: frequently asked questions and What are the system recovery options in Windows Vista? If your computer does not include Startup Repair, your computer manufacturer might have customized or replaced the tool. Check the information that came with your computer or go to the manufacturer's website.
  • Change restart settings in safe mode. If your computer is stuck in a loop where Windows fails, attempts to restart, and then fails again repeatedly, restart your computer in safe mode and select the Disable automatic restart on system failure checkbox. For more information, see Advanced startup options (including safe mode).
  • Reinstall. If no other options have solved the problem, and you are sure that your computer's hardware is functioning normally, you might need to reinstall Windows. A custom (clean) installation of Windows will permanently delete all of the files on your computer and reinstall Windows, so only use this option if all other recovery options have been unsuccessful. After the installation, you will need to reinstall your programs and restore your files from backup copies. For more information, see Installing and reinstalling Windows

See if you can do this, if not you have to use the recovery partition.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Wait~ I got to do a scan.
It did it in its entirety, and crashed when I tried to fetch the log file.
And yeah, the intel driver is something for SATA...

Log file (I cut it down to today's date)

My Computer

And as for recovery, startup repair does not work, it just gets me to the login screen, with no power button and the only user is "other user", in which i have to type a username and password in. Nothing works. Not even "Administrator".
And for the recovery partition, I can't boot it. There is no option for that, not even in the BIOS. It's probably corrupt as well.
And when I look for it on Ubuntu, I can't mount it, although Gparted says it's there.

My Computer

Back. Any suggestions?
If not, then I got his permission to upgrade it to Win7, although preserving Vista is a better choice, since all his programs are there.

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays