General Vista doubts.

system restore(system protection), volume shadowcopy(services), indexing(indexing options), readyboost(services), superfetch(services) and auto defrag(task scheduler)
Disabling any of these services will only hinders Vista's performance.

Disabling System Restore is a REALLY bad idea!

Later :shock: Ted

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    * BFK Customs *
    CPU
    Intel C2Q 9550 Yorkfield
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5Q Pro
    Memory
    8GB Dominator 8500C5D
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX ATI 1GB 4870 XXX
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD 7-1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1x 47" LCD HDMI & 2x 26" LCD HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080P & 1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    2x 500GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache WD Caviar Black
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX
    Case
    CM Cosmos RC-1000
    Cooling
    Tuniq Tower 120, 2x 140mm and 3x 120mm case fans
    Keyboard
    HP Enhansed Multimedia
    Mouse
    Razer Diamondback 3G
    Internet Speed
    18.6Mb/s
    Other Info
    My First Build ;)
system restore(system protection), volume shadowcopy(services), indexing(indexing options), readyboost(services), superfetch(services) and auto defrag(task scheduler)

I love people who say "disable this, this and this" with no real explanation :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
    Motherboard
    XFX MB-750I-72P9 NF750i
    Memory
    4096MB Corsair XMS2 PC-5400
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS Nvidia Geforce GTX470
    Sound Card
    ASUS Xonar DX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 24" S2409W & Dell 20" E207WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 & 1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    750GB Western Digital Caviar Black & 500GB Samsung
    PSU
    750 watt Thermaltake Toughpower
    Case
    Coolermaster Dominator 690 Nvidia Edition
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9700-NT Cooler, 6x 120mm Chassis Fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech G11 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech G5 Laser Mouse (2007 edition)
    Internet Speed
    100Mbps
    Other Info
    abit airpace 54mbps wireless PCI-E x1 card

System Restore - While this is a grand theory its actual performance in real world is an abysmal joke. Every time you make any system change this crap runs for forever taking your overall system performance down to a point my TI-84 calculator can out run it.
Volume Shadowcopy - Wastes gigs and gigs of space storing mostly deleted content, that is completely worthless.
Indexing - lmao, it caches shortcuts for use with windows search. If your computer has any sort of speed this is just a waste time.
Readyboost - Only functions when you have a specific set up with a flashdrive. And given the lack of speed of most flash drives and the limited number or read/write operations that most can do in there lifetime its not practical either.
Superfetch - Here again a grand theory but it doesn't do any good to load programs into memory then 20 minutes later cache them to the hardrive. Only thing this accomplishes is wasted space in the form of virtual memory.
Auto defrag - This is not a bad idea to bad it triggers while you are using other programs or in the middle of doing other things.

For all those who think its a bad idea to change anything in windows, enjoy your sluggish computer. People want to complain about things but they don't want to do anything to help themselves. I think Ron White summed it up best, "You can't fix stupid."

My Computer

If you disable Readyboost service it also take out Readyboot which speed up boot time a lot. Has nothing to do with flash drives. One of those things easy to find out if you research and make a little effort... SuperFetch does not start from A and blindly work its way through all your programs or it would act like you say. Just because you dont have need for searching content of tons of files does not make Windows Search useless. Defrag can be adjusted, task scheduler is powerful - besides most of this run at low-priority to avoid annoying user. If hd was 100% silent would you even know what is running? Dig in and dont be afraid to change stuff :)

True about System Restore though. Sometimes it make hd go crazy for a min or 2. Not really much reason to disable considering what it does. Depends who you are, there are no fixed list for this I think. Some might prefer full disk backup/imaging and so can disable System Restore. Taking out Shadow copies might not be a good idea, will take System Restore with it I think - must research and find out! Some other backup programs depend on it, like Macrium Reflect.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD X2 6000
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5
    Memory
    Corsair 4x1gb 6400C4
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX 8800GTS XT 320mb, Generic Nvidia 6200 PCI 128mb
    Sound Card
    Onboard Realtek ALC889A
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" Samsung 245b, 20" Dell 2007WFP, 19" Samsung 193P
    Hard Drives
    WD Raptor 74gb, Maxtor 300gb, WD Caviar 16SE 500gb
    PSU
    Corsair 520W
    Case
    Cooler Master Centurion 532
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1100R
    Internet Speed
    20mb down, 1mb up
If you disable Readyboost service it also take out Readyboot which speed up boot time a lot. Has nothing to do with flash drives. One of those things easy to find out if you research and make a little effort... SuperFetch does not start from A and blindly work its way through all your programs or it would act like you say. Just because you dont have need for searching content of tons of files does not make Windows Search useless. Defrag can be adjusted, task scheduler is powerful - besides most of this run at low-priority to avoid annoying user. If hd was 100% silent would you even know what is running? Dig in and dont be afraid to change stuff :)

True about System Restore though. Sometimes it make hd go crazy for a min or 2. Not really much reason to disable considering what it does. Depends who you are, there are no fixed list for this I think. Some might prefer full disk backup/imaging and so can disable System Restore. Taking out Shadow copies might not be a good idea, will take System Restore with it I think - must research and find out! Some other backup programs depend on it, like Macrium Reflect.

I'll save you the trouble of doing research, shutting down shadow copies does disable System Restore. The amount of time System Restore takes to run depends on alot of factors, in my case it was running for 10-20 minutes and was doing so with great regularity, when doing so it interrupts normal system usage. System Restore is also one of the biggest reasons Vista gets labeled as sluggish and unresponsive, System Restore was a nice idea but the way it was implemented is disasterous and has very unpredictable reliability. But like you said some prefer to use ghosting utilities to backup there systems and I am one of those as it is far more reliable than System Restore.

About hardrive usage, MS has made Vista where you can not force the OS to keep all core system files in memory hence the constant drive usage. Under XP I used third party software to force the OS not to use caching of any kind and all core system files were kept in memory. If you succeed in forcing windows to keep all files in memory rather than caching to disk you gain significant performance increases across the board. This idea not working in Vista likely has something to do with the implementation of ASLR. ASLR is explained here:
ASLR Makes Vista A Moving Target

We will just have to disagree on Superfetch, it is a great idea for office type enviroments but think of the performance hit and ram limits you hit when dealing with large programs like games or video editing.

Readyboost, here read this: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/features/performance.aspx After reading that you should understand my original point.

My Computer

Well I dont understand your point and all this is not written in stone. People have different needs so there is no list everyone must follow - or they are stupid. Lists are evil because some will just copy them without knowing whats up or down. Nearly always pros and cons with system settings.

One of the great complaints about XP was too little use of memory/hardware, caching was a joke and it did not help much to "force" system files not be swapped. Vista is 25 times better, dont get stuck in old ways or get too happy either. There is a reason they make 7... Does not mean Vista is useless or the biggest improvements are of no value. Vista dont race around hd to chew on system files halting user processes because your old tweak dont work, come on... same with SuperFetch. Will release memory faster than you can blink. If your workflow is stopping, running, stopping, running because of OS you have other problems. XP was dump as a door in comparison, if in love with stupid you could find Vista agressive and way too active.

Problem is hd sound is it not? What would your complaints be if there were none? 10-20 min of System Restore I guess? Try reinstall Vista and dont tinker so much - or do it properly :)

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/windows/en-US/Help/596FB57F-CC9D-4AC5-A813-5C0830E9156A1033.mspx read last section "Avoiding tweaks of dubious value".

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD X2 6000
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5
    Memory
    Corsair 4x1gb 6400C4
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX 8800GTS XT 320mb, Generic Nvidia 6200 PCI 128mb
    Sound Card
    Onboard Realtek ALC889A
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" Samsung 245b, 20" Dell 2007WFP, 19" Samsung 193P
    Hard Drives
    WD Raptor 74gb, Maxtor 300gb, WD Caviar 16SE 500gb
    PSU
    Corsair 520W
    Case
    Cooler Master Centurion 532
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1100R
    Internet Speed
    20mb down, 1mb up
Yeah, you definitely missed the point but thats ok maybe others who read these posts will gain something from it. As you said there is no right or wrong way to configure an OS, I guess the saying "to each there own" is the best way to describe it.

Now to answer your questions. No, the sound of the hardrive spinning doesn't bother me. I don't have any complaints about Vista that I haven't already managed to remedy. I won't even bother with the System Restore question as you didn't get my point the first few times so another attempt won't help any. And an fyi my Vista install has zero problems as all of my tinkering is done on a secondary computer.

My posts were not complaints as I think Vista is probably the best OS to date.

dk70, Thanx for the brief debate. Everyone will have to excuse my rambling, thats what happens when I get bored. :D

My Computer

System Restore - While this is a grand theory its actual performance in real world is an abysmal joke.

Perhaps I should have explained myself a little better. Disabling System restore and VSS also disables restore points. Restore points are useful and it's implementation is far from an abysmal joke. On the other hand however, the backup and complete system restore is a joke and should be left alone.

For all those who think its a bad idea to change anything in windows, enjoy your sluggish computer. People want to complain about things but they don't want to do anything to help themselves. I think Ron White summed it up best, "You can't fix stupid."
Who said anything about a sluggish computer? Who's complaining? :huh: I only noticed one person complaining about these things... :p

Seriously though, it all depends on your machine. If it's a lower specced machine your obviously going to notice the performance hit more than a higher specced machine.

If you're aware of the ramifications from disabling certain services and are happy with doing so, then that's fine. What's not fine though, is needlessly insulting people who do not prescribe to your way of thinking.

"What's good for the goose, is not always good for the gander".

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    i7 3770K HT ON 4.7GHz
    Motherboard
    P8Z68 Deluxe Gen 3
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x Gigabyte GTX 670 OC WindForce SLI
    Sound Card
    X-FI Forte + ATH-AD900
    Monitor(s) Displays
    x2 Dell U2410 / 58" Samsung / "40 Sony
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1200 / 1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    2x Intel 520 240GB * Crucial M4 128GB * 2x Samsung F3 1TB (RAID 0) * 2x WD Caviar Blacks 2TB (RAID 0)
    PSU
    Corsair AX1200W
    Case
    Lian Li PC-V1020A
    Cooling
    NH-D14: 3x140mm Gelid Wing 14: Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme
    Keyboard
    Topre Realforce // Ducky Shine Cherry MX Black
    Mouse
    Razer Imperator + Thermaltake Theron
    Other Info
    Laptop Specs: