Google is the only site I can connect to

SOLVED
I was doing some tech work for a client that had the same problem -- Google was the only site that would connect. There were several Vista laptops on a wireless network (Cisco/Linksys Wireless N router) and only one of them had this problem, the rest operated normally surfing the internet. I opened a window with Run/cmd and checked the IP address and it was valid, and I could ping Google but couldn't ping any other sites. I've read a couple of different threads on this problem and here's what I found.
I tried editing the hosts file but that made no difference and it was identical to my laptop that worked fine on the network. I disabled the Norton firewall/security and no change. I changed the channel on the wireless router and that had temporary/intermittent success. I changed the setting from Mixed to Mixed B and G, and presto, everything worked fine.
If you review the myriad of posts concerning this frustrating problem you will find that most all of them are on wireless networks, and many can connect wired, but not wireless. I think the quick fix for most any user is to change channels and the broadcast mode. Apparently in my case, the Mixed mode, which included B, G, and N, was causing a conflict with the wireless adapter - the N must have been the culprit.
If another computer can connect with your wireless signal, and/or your connection show Local and Internet in the connection, I would try the same fix. Good luck.

Last edited:

My Computer

Back