Hello im in dire need of help cant access internet after reinstall of windows vista

Re: Hello im in dire need of help cant access internet after reinstall of windows vis

Generally the basic default Windows drivers work fine for a wired connection. With wireless, it's more complex to manage and specific to the card installed, so tailored drivers are necessary in most cases. I've seen plenty of situations with someone having trouble with their wireless card configuration/driver and able to use a wired connection with no problem.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion dv5t
    CPU
    Intel Core Duo 2.53GHz
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia GeForce 9600M GT 512Mb
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800 32bit
    Hard Drives
    Seagate Momentus XT 500Gb
    Hitachi Travelstar HTS543225L9A300 250Gb
    Mouse
    Microsoft 4000
Re: Hello im in dire need of help cant access internet after reinstall of windows vis

okay im actually somewere with internet as i type this, so here is whats going on, i did some update nothing was working so i decided to reinstall windows vista one more time so i can start fresh once again.. but right before i reinstalled i noticed like 20-40 extra gigs were being used up in my harddisk extra than before i did the first install... how do i get my memory back? and also do i just have the manager install updates automatically for the drivers over the internet?

My Computer

You may have a directory called "Windows.Old" left over after installing Vista as a new operating system. If you've already recovered all of your data, you can get rid of it.

Otherwise, if you had a backup partition without a drive letter association, it may be sitting there unused now. If this is the case, you can reclaim it by going to the Disk Manager to check on your partitions. Go to Administrator Tools --> Computer Management --> Disk Management. For more info, check out the tutorial for Windows 7 Disk Management (it's basically the same for Vista).

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion dv5t
    CPU
    Intel Core Duo 2.53GHz
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800 32bit
    Hard Drives
    Mouse
    Microsoft 4000

okay so after the reinstall again now it has 4 yellow markers one is at the graphics crd which im updateing now, but... it is taking a long time it says searching online for the update its been there for like 15 mins is that normal for it to take a long time?

also just read your last message umm... i just deleted windows old to get more space so yeah i dont think there was anything in there i needed.

My Computer

When I installed "Vista Ultimate" as a fresh install on a new hard drive, I ended up with a lot of drivers missing... pretty much what you've run into. My computer is an HP Pavilion dv5t. I went to the HP support site and downloaded all of the driver software. I then installed all of it. The yellow markers went away--all of my missing drivers were now installed. I think you should do the same; go to the Gateway website, look up your model number, then go to the software downloads for drivers and get them all. It's faster and more reliable than using the "update driver" link in the device properties (that's my experience).

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion dv5t
    CPU
    Intel Core Duo 2.53GHz
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800 32bit
    Hard Drives
    Mouse
    Microsoft 4000

i just went to the site and its asking for my model and they dont have my model i think its to out of date or something what should i do? or maybe you can look it up for me and send me the link if you wouldnt mind im really lost atm

My Computer

so im doing my windows updates could that be the reason why im not getting wifi? also i used this checker to see what the names of the drivers are and it didnt even show up that i had a wifi connected to my computer at all?? and i still now have 2 yellow marked unknown hardwares are not sure what to do with those

My Computer

OK, that's great -- you found the driver download page and it's pretty well stocked.

It's best to work backwards, starting with the most important device of your concern, that being WiFi. They've got drivers for several different devices. You need to run the "System Information" on your computer to find out exactly what you've got installed for the "Wireless Lan". The brand is Marvell, Intel, QMI, or Realtek. Best thing is to get the newest driver, based on version number and date.

You get to "System Information" via Program Files --> Accessories --> System Tools. Once System Information has opened, expand "Components" and then "Network". You'll see a bunch of entries so you'll need to scroll down. Try to find one labeled as "WiFi", then match up the brand listed on the driver download page.

Windows Update isn't causing your problem. It's the fact that the base Windows installation doesn't have compatible drivers for your hardware. That's why you need to download them. This was part of what gave Vista a bad name. Lots of people had missing driver problems. Microsoft should have provided a facility to automatically download drivers, based on the model of your laptop. They could have EASILY programmed this in... it's not rocket science. But, they're big and arrogant, so they decided otherwise. The soured reputation of Vista made them wise up and they made amends (mostly, not complete though) under Windows 7. Despite this, Vista is a great operating system and will serve you well.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion dv5t
    CPU
    Intel Core Duo 2.53GHz
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800 32bit