Help Browser Internet Speed

Cox Cable high speed internet has 9mbps. That's fast. I am on 1.5mbps and I think that's fast. Yes you do have a problem. I don't know enough to advise you. Maybe bassfisher6522 or SIW2 are the guys for the job. Sorry.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Scratch Built
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core 6600
    Motherboard
    Asus P5B
    Memory
    4096 MB Xtreme-Dark 800mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Zotac Amp Edition 8800GT - 512MB DDR3, O/C 700mhz
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 206BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680 X 1024
    Hard Drives
    4 X Samsung 500GB 7200rpm Serial ATA-II HDD w. 16MB Cache .
    PSU
    550 w
    Case
    Thermaltake
    Cooling
    3 x octua NF-S12-1200 - 120mm 1200RPM Sound Optimised Fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft
    Mouse
    Targus
    Internet Speed
    1500kbs
    Other Info
    Self built.
I did find this among other stuff with a google search. I don't know how good the advice is. I turned off Auto Tuning a long time ago with no adverse effects.

http://lifehacker.com/380905/turn-off-vistas-auto+tuning-to-prevent-browser-slow+down

Windows Vista Tip, browsers, windows vista, command line
Turn Off Vista's Auto-Tuning to Prevent Browser Slow-Down

Windows Vista includes a feature, "Receive Window Auto-Tuning," that you've likely never seen mentioned on your desktop, but which can cause noticeable drag and even crashing when browsing certain web sites or using some routers or other network hardware. If you're noticing browsing glitches that only occur in Vista, the Wise Bread blog has a tip, pulled from PC Magazine's recent issue, that explains how to turn off auto-tuning and skip the spinning blue circle of death.
The simplest way to turn off auto-tuning is to launch a command prompt as an Administrator (type "cmd" into the Start box, right-click on Command Prompt and select "Run as Administrator), then enter the following line:
netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled​
That should do it, and turning it off won't likely have any adverse consequences. If you find otherwise, turn it back on with:
netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=normal​
Hit the link below for instructions on see if auto-tuning (and a host of other TCP-type functions) are enabled on your system and learn a bit more about it.
Quick Vista Hack to Get You Browsing at High-Speed Again [Wise Bread]
Read More: Registry Hack Creates Default Folder Size in Vista, Toggle Vista's Aero Effects with a Right-Click, Search Internet Explorer Favorites in Vista with a Shortcut, Turn Vista Home Premium into Ultimate with Free Software

7:40 AM on Thu Apr 17 2008
By Kevin Purdy

http://buzz.yahoo.com/article/lifeh...-auto%2Btuning-to-prevent-browser-slow%2Bdown

lg.php

Classic view | Expand all Collapse all

Start a new discussion

Show: Oldest first | Newest first | Most popular

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Scratch Built
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core 6600
    Motherboard
    Asus P5B
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 206BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680 X 1024
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    550 w
    Case
    Thermaltake
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Microsoft
    Mouse
    Targus
    Internet Speed
    1500kbs
    Other Info
    Self built.
Hi Onlyme,

Changing you interconnect settings can sometimes make things worse , and putting them back can be tricky. There are a couple of apps. that claim to do do this and create a backup to reset if you need to.

Totalidea Software :: Product :: Tweak Windows Vista - Vista Tweaks - TweakVI - Tweak-VI - Tweak-Vista - TweakVista - TweakXP - Tweak-XP - Tweak XP - TweakUI - Outlook Backup - Outlook Notes - FireTune

and auslogics boostspeed (15 day free trial - should be long enough to test it out - you can see what changes it has made )

Speed Up Your Slow Computer with Auslogics Boost Speed

Interestingly, I got the MS PC Advisor and the first thing it did was increase maxconnections to 10 ( normally would have done it myself, but had just reinstalled - anyhow not using IE as default )
Anyone want to try this - available for download till 24 oct - the modules do pretty basic things, but it's a trial, so you can bet we'll see some of them in 7 - download from here - need to answer a few questions about Windows
Microsoft Advisor

Hope it helps

SIW2

Hi SIW2,

Thanks for the information there. I'll download it and see if it helps out on the problems that I'm having now. I mostly use FoxFire. Will that work FoxFire?

Which do you think is better, Explorer or FoxFire?

Earlier today I went to PcPitStop to take advantage of the free scan that they offer. One of the things that it said I needed to do was to put back Iexplore.exe back into my startup. Said something about it needing to be there to make my computer work better.

How would I put iexplore.exe back into my startup stuff? I took it out of there because I was mostly going to use FoxFire as my browser.

Any help in putting it back would be really nice of you. :geek:

Thanks!

My Computer

You could try Firefox, I prefer it, and you get less problems with malicious adware and spyware. In the previous post one respondent said it fixed his problem??

Sorry, missed your last post. You do use Firefox, so that ones out!

You didn't uninstall IE? Then search for Internet Explorer in the Search Bar at the Start Menu, Right click on the result and click "Pin to Start Menu"

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Scratch Built
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core 6600
    Motherboard
    Asus P5B
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 206BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680 X 1024
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    550 w
    Case
    Thermaltake
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Microsoft
    Mouse
    Targus
    Internet Speed
    1500kbs
    Other Info
    Self built.
Cox Cable high speed internet has 9mbps. That's fast. I am on 1.5mbps and I think that's fast. Yes you do have a problem. I don't know enough to advise you. Maybe bassfisher6522 or SIW2 are the guys for the job. Sorry.

Hey NormCameron,

Yeah...that is what I have (1.5mbps) which is good enough for me. But on the speedtest.com it never gets up to 1.5mbps. Seems like I always get somewhere in the high 900's.

Well, I sure thank you for all of the information and tips that you've sent my way! :)

Maybe later on BassFisher and SIW2 show up and sprinkle a little bit more of their Guru stuff on me so I get my web pages going lightning fast again like it once way! I cross my fingers and toes hoping that they show back up! :D

My Computer

I did find this among other stuff with a google search. I don't know how good the advice is. I turned off Auto Tuning a long time ago with no adverse effects.

http://lifehacker.com/380905/turn-off-vistas-auto+tuning-to-prevent-browser-slow+down

Windows Vista Tip, browsers, windows vista, command line
Turn Off Vista's Auto-Tuning to Prevent Browser Slow-Down

Hey NormCameron,

Thanks for passing on all of that information. I'll check it out later on. Not a whole lot of time to do so at the moment. Looks pretty good.

Thanks! :geek:

My Computer

You could try Firefox, I prefer it, and you get less problems with malicious adware and spyware. In the previous post one respondent said it fixed his problem??

Sorry, missed your last post. You do use Firefox, so that ones out!

You didn't uninstall IE? Then search for Internet Explorer in the Search Bar at the Start Menu, Right click on the result and click "Pin to Start Menu"

NormCameron,

I think FireFox is pretty good. I like it because of the problems that you mentioned.

No I didn't uninstall IE. All I did was take it out of my startup menu. Somehow I did it with the msconfig after I bought my computer because all I was going to use was FoxFire. I still have IE. Mostly use it (rarely) for going on some government websites that require you to use the IE browser.

I'll do what you said on using to Search Bar to get IE back in my startup menu stuff. I'll let you know if it works. :D

Why do I do some stupid things....sometimes? :devil:

My Computer

Hi,

Yes you can try Tweak VI - it has a section for speeding up FF. Make sure to create a backup snapshot- which you can restore later.

TWEAKVISNAPSHOT2008-10-22_012739.jpg

FFTWEAK12008-10-22_013207.jpg

Then see if it helps.

SIW2

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
Hi,

Yes you can try Tweak VI - it has a section for speeding up FF. Make sure to create a backup snapshot- which you can restore later.

Then see if it helps.

SIW2

Hi SIW2,

I took the survey to get the MircoSoft Advisor program. It was a painless survey to take. The advisor program is pretty good. I ran it and only had 4 minor little problems which the program fixed. I haven't looked at everything on the program, but what it saw is good. Everyone with Vista should consider getting the program. :geek:

To SIW2, BassFisher, and NormCareron,

I finally found out what my problem was that was causing pictures and videos to not run right on the websites. It was a simple problem and can't believe I spent 4 or 5 days trying to figure out what was causing my problem.

I was using a public router on my wireless network that slowed me down. I simply changed it back to my wireless router and I'm speeding away on the internet like I was before. How was that for a simple fix? :D

But anyways...I sure do want to thank all of you for spending time with me in trying to figure out a solution to my problem. I will still take a look at some of the programs that you guys said to take a look at.

This is a really good place for us Vista users to come and look for information or getting help from others. I'm glad that I happen to stumble across this website and will continue to check things out here. And, everyone that I know who has Vista, I'll direct them here! :cool:

I'm not a guru so I doubt that I could be much help to anyone. I would probably be dangerous in giving out any help. :)

My Computer

You are welcome. You only get to be a Guru by perserverance and learning as you go. And by people like yourselves clicking the Reputation Button.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Scratch Built
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core 6600
    Motherboard
    Asus P5B
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 206BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680 X 1024
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    550 w
    Case
    Thermaltake
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Microsoft
    Mouse
    Targus
    Internet Speed
    1500kbs