Help with Windows 11 and Vista dual-boot

Malon_OoT

Hello everyone!
Apologies if I am posting this in the wrong forum, I didnt find any other appropriate one. I am trying to get a Windows 11 and Vista dual-boot going but I simply cannot get it to work. My computer is a Dell Latitude E5430, it supports both Vista and 11 and in the past it had already dual-booted Windows 10 and Ubuntu.

First I tried simply installing Vista on a free 50GB parition I had next to Windows 11, but after the first reboot the Windows Vista installer did it simply showed a blue screen, I can press F8 and see the extended option but none of them change a thing.
Then I decided to wipe the drive, change the scheme to GPT, created an EFI and MSR partition, then a 100Gb primary partition for Vista to install that I formatted to NTFS. The install went flawlessly and I used Vista for a couple of days but sadly I cant use it as a daily driver so the time came to try the Windows 11 part.

I booted into the Windows 11 installer, selected the unused space and performed the install there. After the setup was gone I needed to turn the boot manager back on in 11 for it to show, but to my horror the blue screen showed again in Vista. I dont know how to do this properly, as I dont posses the knowledge and I havent encountered any guide online to accomplish this. Right now I booted back into the Vista installer and using diskpart I am performing a "clean all" operation, which takes some time considering its a 500GB SSD. If I dont get any help Im going to try to simply create two partitions alone, no EFI or MSR, and install VIsta onto the first then 11 onto the second and see how that goes.
Does anyone here know how to properly do this?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows 10
I'm surprised the experts haven't jumped on this. Did your last attempt work?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
I don’t know of any experts on dual-booting Vista and Windows 11, haven’t noticed any discussion even at MSFN (which might be a better place to post such a question). Wouldn’t Windows 7 be old enough to try?

Edit: I don’t know what Intel microarchitecture you have, but Vista x64 has issues on anything newer than Ivy Bridge, beginning with Haswell. Vista x86 might therefore be worth trying.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
I have a whole bunch of stuff on an esp partition.
esp-combi.jpg

Havent got vista installed on this disk atm, but If I remember correctly the boot files in the EFI folder worked fine for win11 and win7 and vista.
:arrow: EFI.zip

You could use bootice or similar to adjust the bcd entries.

Point the bootmgr and the two os entries at the relevant partitions on your disk. Then copy the EFI folder into your esp partition.

bcdadjust1jpg.jpg

bcdadjust2jpg.jpg

bcdadjust3jpg.jpg

for the os entries both the green highlighted below need to point at the relevant partition on your disk

You can also change the description of the second entry to Vista if you like.

bcdadjust4jpg.jpg

Attachments

• BOOTICE-1.3.3.zip
    808.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard