How To Make Vista more responsive and faster

How To Make Vista more Responsive and Faster

information   Information
Many people are having a problem in regards to either a slow boot up, or that windows is slow to load Programs.
I am using a SATA RAID 0 config, and even with 4GB of ram This can result in heavy fragmentation over two drives, and a slow system- especially after recording tv on MCE or any other activity that writes large files to disk.

Deframenting speeds up the system dramatically, BUT using the default defragmenter doesn't defrag file fragments bigger than 64MB or even include them in the fragmentation statistics
When you have file fragments for one program scattered all over your hard drive, it takes time to recompile them in order to execute the program/data in question. Consolidating all file fragments regardless of their size will result in faster access and execution. Now multiply this by hundreds of thousands of individual file fragments that the cpu must recompile to execute in proper sequence per Windows or User command at the same time. I have seen the GUI show 0% fragmentation where the -w command will show 10% fragmentation on a 640GB SATA RAID 0 drive- thats alot of little individual file fragments scattered over a modest size drive...

But this is only part of the problem, now add into the equation file system errors, bad sectors on the disk, and attribute record (NTFS Directory) corruption...and even the fastest system will slow to a crawl over time.

two steps to a faster system:
(Diskcheck can be scheduled at same time as defrag is running, and will commence upon reboot of system)
1. Do a full defrag- Consolidate all file fragments regardless of size (-w)
Start>All Programs>Acessories>Right Click Command Prompt>"Run as Administrator">at command prompt, copy and paste the following>hit "Enter": (or just type cmd in search at start, right click program "run as administrator")​
(Do not close command (cmd) screen-flashing cursor in empty space indicates defrag running. see note below or page 2 of this tutorial (second post from bottom to see screen shots of the 3 defrag stages))​
defrag c: -w
defrag.GIF

2. Check disk for errors
Start>Computer>Right Click "C" drive>Click Properties>Tools>Error Checking-Click "Check Now">Under Check Disk Options click "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"> Restart Computer​
(note-substitute "c" for the drive letter you want to defrag/check for errors)
Capture.jpg

Note   Note
When the computer restarts after check disk, you will notice that the system is much faster and more responsive.
Note   Note

Do not close the "Administrator:Command Prompt" window untill defrag is complete, or it will abort (wait until you see flashing cursor at C:\Windows\system32>_)​
Defrag does not delete files- it just rearranges them on the drive and consolidates. If you notice increase/decrease of storage space on the drive, It can probably most likely be attributed to the Check Disk scan verifying/correcting errors in file data and free space, and/or bad sectors recovered, or marked as "unrecoverable" on the disk. See scan results for more info upon completion of Disk Check.​
If your Disk is marked as "Dirty" see Method 3 here: Check Disk - chkdsk

Attachments

• thumb_Hard_Drive.png
    thumb_Hard_Drive.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 278
Last edited by a moderator:
This is the Safe way of speeding up your computer
use Auslogics Disk Defrag it defrags in 5-10min

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Laptop/DV2845SE
    CPU
    ACPI x64-based PC
    Memory
    4GB
    Sound Card
    Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NVIDIA MCP67M
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    FUJITSU 250GB Hard Drive
I use Diskeeper, but its the same. Much faster than Windows defrag.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire X1700
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    3 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1 gig GeForce 210
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Vizio 21" tv
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 terabyte sata in 1 partition
    Cooling
    fans that came with it
    Keyboard
    basic USB
    Mouse
    basic USB
    Internet Speed
    3 megabits on a cable modem, wired
I carried out this process, following directions accurately. I have Vista 64 on a Sony Vaio notebook. After defrag it said it was able to defrag only files up to 64k. After a 2 hour disk check, the computer would not reboot and notified me that files were damaged. I had to pull out my repair disks to fix the problem. There's no speed up.

My Computer

Something wrong with your computer? it does say that, but after that you have to keep waiting until the blinking cursor changes,

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP dv6000 CTO Entertainment Lappy :D
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 @ 2.4GHz (2 CPUS), ~2.4 GHz
    Memory
    4094 MB Ram
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS, 2031 MB Memory
    Sound Card
    Realtek Hi-Def Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1200x800
    Case
    HP Laptop :D
    Cooling
    Fans
    Keyboard
    Laptop
    Mouse
    Microsoft Pro Mouse :D
    Internet Speed
    DL: 20.51 Mb/s, Up-Load :5.27 Mb/s Ping: 10 ms
?? ...well whatever. My notebook was still acting flakey even after my attempted repair; even my system recovery points had vanished. I finally reinstalled an earlier Ghost image of my system, all's well now, after hours of frustration....think I will leave well enough alone. :confused:

My Computer

Can you start this of from any directory, or do you have to be in C:\windows\system\32 to start defrag.

Also, in windows xp, a tip i was given, was to turn the hibernation feature of while defragmenting.
Is there nay need to do this in vista.......

Thanks guys :)

My Computer

Can you start this of from any directory, or do you have to be in C:\windows\system\32 to start defrag.

Also, in windows xp, a tip i was given, was to turn the hibernation feature of while defragmenting.
Is there nay need to do this in vista.......

Thanks guys :)

NO

this must be done as admin in command prompt, or RE
no need to disable Hibernation

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    T7600G Core2Duo 2.66 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Intel 945PM + ICH7 Chipset
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Mobility Radeon x1900 256MB
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    WUXGA 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    640GB 7200RPM SATA/RAID 0 (2x320GB)
    and 320GB 7200RPM External
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft 3000
    Internet Speed
    10 mbps/2 mbps
    Other Info
    Optical Drive:
    Panasonic UJ-220 DL BD-RE (Blu-Ray)
I carried out this process, following directions accurately. I have Vista 64 on a Sony Vaio notebook. After defrag it said it was able to defrag only files up to 64k. After a 2 hour disk check, the computer would not reboot and notified me that files were damaged. I had to pull out my repair disks to fix the problem. There's no speed up.

Thats because you have attribute/system file Integrity corruption of Windows. That is what the scans look for, and fix if they can. (e.g. "disk check"), as well as a full defrag which will speed up a healthy system.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    T7600G Core2Duo 2.66 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    WUXGA 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    640GB 7200RPM SATA/RAID 0 (2x320GB)
    and 320GB 7200RPM External
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft 3000
    Internet Speed
    10 mbps/2 mbps
    Other Info
    Optical Drive:
    Panasonic UJ-220 DL BD-RE (Blu-Ray)
how long does it generally take for check disk?

There is really no set time. It could take over 30 minutes, it could take less. It could take over an hour.

But don't interrupt it.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire X1700
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    3 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1 gig GeForce 210
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Vizio 21" tv
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 terabyte sata in 1 partition
    Cooling
    fans that came with it
    Keyboard
    basic USB
    Mouse
    basic USB
    Internet Speed
    3 megabits on a cable modem, wired
The defrag thing is.. uh.. well..

Vista comes with a default scheduled task to run a defrag at 1am every Wednesday. Any system that is on at that time (or turned on after that time) will run a defrag on its own anyway. Unless a massive amount of misfitting writes and deleted are performed in that time, there will not be any noticeable fragmentation anyway. On my systems, the automatic defrag tends to run for just a few minutes.
This will not defrag your whole system only files under 64MB so any movies etc. will not be defragged, not the full defrag you think you are getting

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo Thinkpad T400
    CPU
    Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53GHz
    Motherboard
    LENOVO 64734VM
    Memory
    2.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Sound Card
    Conexant 20561 SmartAudio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    1x 180GB Intel 530 series SSD
    1 x 120GB Hitachi 5400rmp
    1 x 650GB Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    1x 1Tb Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    Internet Speed
    Medium for New Zealand
    Other Info
    Weakest part of my computer is the graphics chipset.
    Only ever used a laptop.
    Also use USB Freeview TV Card
    Lenovo Docking Station
    External Speakers
    Other bits a pieces as needed
The defrag thing is.. uh.. well..

Vista comes with a default scheduled task to run a defrag at 1am every Wednesday. Any system that is on at that time (or turned on after that time) will run a defrag on its own anyway. Unless a massive amount of misfitting writes and deleted are performed in that time, there will not be any noticeable fragmentation anyway. On my systems, the automatic defrag tends to run for just a few minutes.
This will not defrag your whole system only files under 64MB so any movies etc. will not be defragged, not the full defrag you think you are getting
You are incorrect

That would be true if it were a "default" defrag, but keep in mind you are using it via command prompt with "-w" that means ALL files regardless of size.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    T7600G Core2Duo 2.66 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card