I can't turn off my laptop

First and foremost, I think you should check your computer for viruses and malware with a few different, free or commercial programs – one usually does not and can not find them all, and sometimes you have to run the program a few times back to back for it to actually pick up on ones it overlooked during the first scan.

After that, if the issue persists, I think you should then try running the Diagnostic tools in the “Advanced Boot Options” screen. Restart the system and press F8 during start up BEFORE the windows splash screen shows up. After you get into the Advanced Boot Options screen, select the "Repair your computer" option. After that, run some of the Diagnostic Tool options located in there and see what they turn up. Notably the Start up/BIOS and the memory related ones (be patient, they do take a while, and you have to restart and F8 back into the screen after each of these tests are complete).

If everything returns clean and error-free on those, then I would suggest that you check your hard drive for errors (Start > My Computer > Local Disk > Properties > Tools > Error Checking > Check Now), and if prompted afterwards, select it to automatically repair the issues.

If that also does not return any results, then I would suggest that you Upgrade/Repair install from your Vista Installation disk - or if you have the recovery partition instead of the disk, that you roll the system back to a known point where you were not experiencing the issue, or to simply reset to factory settings. (The last option WILL delete all of your personal data so I suggest that you back it all up).

Over all of the above suggestions though, I highly recommend that you contact your computer’s manufacturer and ask them for further assistance as it could very well be that you have a faulty physical component/hardware on your system causing the issue (most likely, in my opinion, could even be your laptop’s power adapter and/or battery malfunctioning).

Good luck, and I sincerely hope one of these helps you!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 1525
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5550 @ 1.83GHz (x2)
    Memory
    3574MB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Moble Intel 965 Express Chipset Family
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    160GB Seagate Momentus 7200.2 Internal Hard Drive.
    Other Info
    No longer have this system or Vista. W7 all the way!
Ok I have full scan all my computer with SpybotAdaware and Norton antivirus deleted a few spywares if problem persists i ll try next steps

Next Step
I ve Run diagnostic tools (Hardware fault test which controls if something wrong with your hardware) nothing was wrong

Last edited:

My Computer

Have you checked the schedule task.
Another thing to check for is Updates, have any not finished installing? Some require a reboot and this may cause problems.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    I5 3570K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
    Memory
    4 x 4GB corsair ballistix sport DDR3 1600 Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 TI
    Sound Card
    creative x-fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Primary CiBox 22" Widescreen LCD ,Secondary Dell 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    Both 1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500G HD (SATA) 1 x 2TB USB
    PSU
    Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU
    Case
    Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
    Cooling
    3 x 80mm tri led front, 120mm side 120mm back, 200mm top
    Keyboard
    Logik
    Mouse
    Technika TKOPTM2
    Internet Speed
    288 / 4000
    Other Info
    Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
    Trust Graphics Tablet
are you using anydvd? if you are using it, configure not running on the start up. I have the same problem on HP laptop with vista x64. that solves my problem

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP dv7-1020us
    Hard Drives
    320Gb SATA primary / 250Gb SATA Slave
Hmm… Have you tried checking your disk volume for errors yet? That can sometimes result in weird things like that happening – I know from experience with this one. Or, have you recently installed anything new? Did this start, say, after you installed a system Update? If so, you should try uninstalling the ones that you had installed after this problem began to occur until it stops, then try reinstalling them one by one until you find which ones might be to blame by powering down and seeing if it works after each individual reinstall. If that makes sense at all.

Also, are you absolutely sure that you are not using the wrong power-down option? The one closest to the start button which is slightly orange in color, is not the right one if you want to totally shut the system down. What you need to do is click the “>” tab to the far right and then select, from the menu list it brings up, the “Shut Down” option on the very bottom of that list. If that doesn’t work, and for diagnostic purposes, try to physically power the system down with depressing the power button on your laptop for a few seconds. If that works, you likely have been trying to put the computer to sleep instead of completely powering it down.

If none of the above is true, I really think that your best bet at fixing this issue will definitely be performing a Factory Restore (IF you have a recovery partition made by your computer’s manufacturer, usually if your Vista disk is an OEM version versus the commercial one and IF it came preinstalled on your computer). To find out if you have this option, go to the “Advanced Boot Options” screen with Restart and F8 and then enter into the “Repair Your Computer” screen and checking to see if you have the “Reset to Factory” or similar option. It will reformat the drive, overwrite all files and then flash the system back to its original set up. (This, as I mentioned before, WILL delete all of your personal data, so if you can, back all of that up).

However, if you do not have a factory restore partition/option, I think you are just going to have to cut your losses and perform a reformat of the HD and clean install of the OS from the installation disk.

Either two actions will definitely solve this issue, either by overwriting and reinstalling corrupt system files/functions, or by resetting all system tasks and what not back to default. Either way, one of the two will solve the issue (providing it is related to the OS and/or programs, and not a physical hardware component issue).

P.S. I think what boplelado meant, was if you have a DVD or other disk in the disk drive, and the drive is set to play disks automatically, that it might be causing the system to go back into power mode in order to play it… Could be wrong though, and my apologies if I am. But try removing anything you might have in the disk drive(s) and then trying to power down again to see what happens.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 1525
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5550 @ 1.83GHz (x2)
    Memory
    3574MB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Moble Intel 965 Express Chipset Family
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    160GB Seagate Momentus 7200.2 Internal Hard Drive.
    Other Info
    No longer have this system or Vista. W7 all the way!
Thank you Evilozznes you are a great guy a really helpfull anyway

I ve noticed maybe it shut down because of error when closing applications after I press shut down. Because when computer opens again (after i try to shutdown and it resets) it says web cam driver fault I have integrated webcam and its program opens at startup.

anyway I am quiting that webcam program before I shutdown and it works for now I hope Its because of that

I also checked my disk it takes like 1+ hour and nothing was wrong
I also run a diagnostic tools scan and nothing was wrong there

thank you so much again I hope problem never persist again

My Computer

Hello guys my problem persist again after 3 weeks I have uninstall webcam program that comes with laptop I ve checked every wake on lan things I dont know why is that problem I didnt get that kind of error before I m starting to using lan cable for internet

and maybe its because some of program updates

is it possible ?

My Computer

Back