I have lost protocol accoiations for defualt FF.. Vista REFUSES to se FF as default

Re: I have lost protocol accoiations for defualt FF.. Vista REFUSES to se FF as defau

Hello Tom and thanks for taking the time out to assist me.
I have run the command and am left with a txt file i shall attach for your scrutiny

regards
pan

No problem Pan, it's my pleasure :) Rich has already looked through the log and there's nothing that needs fixing on that front. Which means that the problem either lies in FireFox or your registry

Hi there
Although i did an update around xmas (dont have auto update turned on ,,i do it manually)... i am doing it now .. and its updating a few things, however i did view the list of needed updates and nothing in reference to service pack was stated.

I am however doing the update anyway. Another thing i noted is on the site you linked me to, on Option 3.. the first step says download sp1 ? isnt that downgrading what i already have.. the sp1 is dated "March 18, 2008." .. and the sp2 link listed on that site is "May 26, 2009" .. kinda old.. are those links really the most upto date service packs? please forgive my ignorance :)'

Update just finished.. without a prompt to restart win... .. actually i am struggling to find how to bring up the Turn Windows features on or off dialog, i figured out how to do this yesterday, but for the life of me cant remember, i did a search on google and ppl are saying goto start menu / programmes/ Turn Windows features on or off ... but i dont have that in there, im also using my start bar in classic mode. argh im hopeless ;)

EDIT... well i found it, anyhow after that win update ie is still not listed in there.. also ff is still not coming up in the list of available browsers in the associate protocol dialog.

Is there any reason you don't have auto update turned on? You're putting yourself at risk from being infected by malware by doing this, as known security vulnerabilities aren't patched in your system.

If you already have SP1 installed, you don't need it, just move onto SP2. Service Packs (SPs) aren't released very often, so that's why the dates are so old. A service pack is just a bundle of all of the updates up to a certain point. There's also a lot of updates since SP2, but these will have to be individually downloaded, so your computer should have updates up to today, it's just that the last service pack was released a long time ago.

Do you want your start bar in classic mode?

No i don't have any viruses and spy ware or anything that might be effecting this issue in that way.
What AV do you use? Nothing is 100% efficient, so you never know, this could be malware, although I've never heard of anything that restricts the default browser.

Let's have a little hunt in your registry.

System Look

Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
  • Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Copy the content of the following codebox into the main textfield:
    Code:
    :reg
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\shell\open\command

:regfind
    firefox
  • Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.
Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt
This may create a really big log, I don't know for sure. Just be warned.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Build #1
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770K @4.4GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz Low Profile (White)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 (2GB GDDR5)
    Sound Card
    Integrated on motherboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" LG LCD/LED IPS
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung EVO 128GB SSD
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm
    2x500GB Seagate FreeAgent 5400rpm