iHave a problem with disc space...

You are going to get yourself into a lot of trouble if you change the status of C. Fixing your problem is a longer procedure. If you start answering my questions from my last post, I may be able to help you.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    CPU
    Q6600
    Memory
    4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207h
    Hard Drives
    2x250GB HDDs
    1x60GB OCZ SSD
    6 external disks 60 to 640GBs
    Other Info
    Also 1xHP desktop, 1xHP laptop, 1xGateway laptop
i removed my post . you should work with whs as he is more qualified.

thank you whs

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    acer aspire 6930
    Memory
    3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Hard Drives
    320GB
i removed my post . you should work with whs as he is more qualified.

thank you whs

Thanks for the compliments Kenny. I am just trying to give advice to the best of my knowledge.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    CPU
    Q6600
    Memory
    4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207h
    Hard Drives
    2x250GB HDDs
    1x60GB OCZ SSD
    Other Info
I've actually had to move everything into D because of such the low disc space. Picture, movies, everything. Most of my programs, practically all of them, except like Movie Maker & all'lat is in D because iCan't move the ones installed with Vista of course. I'm just having no idea on how iCould even free up at least one GB.

http://i45.tinypic.com/ebagyc.png
http://i45.tinypic.com/295siuv.png

OK, that's what I thought you did. The problem you face is that if you shrink D, the free space you gain in to the right of D and cannot be added to C. Therefore you have to do the following:

1. Copy everything from D to an external drive
2. Go to Disk Management, right click on D and "delete volume" - now all of D is unallocated.
3. Also in Disk Management, right click on C and "extend volume" - I suggest you give it a total of 50GB - you have enough space on the disk.
4. For the rest of the free space, you can define a new D. You may have to "initialize" first - right click on the left pane area where it says Disk 0, Disk 1, etc. Then right click on the right pane and "Format"
5. Now you can move your files back to D from the external disk. I suggest you move the system files back to C where they belong.
6. For you own files, you probably will have to reestablish the path. Right click (in the right pane of Start) on Pictures (that seems to be the only one you moved) > go to Properties > Location tab > find target > set it to the D location.

PS : It may be a good idea to move all your own data files in addition to Pictures ( Documents, Videos, Downloads, Music, Saved Games) to D (do that with the Properties > Location tab > Move). Then your files are safe in case the system ever crashes.

Let me know how you made out.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    CPU
    Q6600
    Memory
    4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207h
    Hard Drives
    2x250GB HDDs
    1x60GB OCZ SSD
    Other Info
hello
I'm still following along.(trying to learn) what happens to the unallocated space? (see attached)

Attachments

• unallocated.JPG
    unallocated.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 27

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    acer aspire 6930
    Memory
    3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Hard Drives
    320GB
kenny, that's going to become part of the unallocated once D is deleted (I think). So that can be used when he redefines D (after the C extension). No need to leave this little space sitting there as unallocated.
That whole disk layout is a mess. I wonder how it got to that. I hope the OP can deal with the instructions. Then he will end up with a nice layout.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    CPU
    Q6600
    Memory
    4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207h
    Hard Drives
    2x250GB HDDs