Solved I'm noticing diagonal line pattern across monitor

yeah I am more convinced it's not a PC issue.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP m8200n Windows Media Center
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.00GHz
    Memory
    3.00 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP widescreen w1907
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
Its your call, whatever you decided I will try to help.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Is your internet connection through Comcast as well - essentially using the same "line" from Comcast for both cable TV and cable Internet? If so, it could easily be a problem with the Comcast line, cables, or connectors. Have Comcast check them out.

You could also disconnect your computer from the network entirely (even the local network and even if you need to turn off the router or dsable the connections to do so) and see if the line still occurs on the computer using just Word for example. If not, then it could have something to do with the network connection. If so, then it's either outside interference of some sort or something with your computer (and, hard as this is to believe) also with your TV at the same time.

Have you installed anything new recently in the home - like a new microwave oven or started using some sort of space heater or a new stereo system or radio signal booster or HAM radio or wireless telephones or new cell phones or similar devices or anything like that? If so, turn it/them off and see if the problem goes away.

Are you using a wireless router? If so, it could be broadcasting differently and causing the interference with both devices. Try turning it off and see if the interference goes away. If so, it's probably a hardware problem with the router. If not, it probably isn't the cause and you can power it back up.

Check with your neighbors to see if 1) they are experiencing the same problem and 2) if they've installed any new transmitters or electronic equipment recently (I've known people who bought high powered servers meant for businesses which caused this type of problem - I bought such a server through my company but it caused no troubles but they do come with an FCC warning that they could). This may help identify the scope of the problem and perhaps even the cause.

Do you know anyone with a laptop with a wireless connection? If so, invite them over and see if they have the same line on their laptop when used in your house. If so, you'll know something there is causing it. If not, then I honestly don't have a clue what it might be. Perhaps an electrician can test your home for some type of electronic or magnetic interference (I'm not sure what other specilist to call who would be better equipped).

Though a hassle, you could always buy a new TV and check for the line. If it's there, then there's something in the house or area causing the problem. If it's gone, then I'm again at a loss to explain it (but I guess you could either replace the TV or return the new TV for a refund having completed the test). I suppose you could do the same with your monitor (or instead with your monitor) but the TV seems a more definitive test.

If you want to test the computer more, then post back and we'll try some other things that are more related to the general function of the computer than to the graphics which we've pretty much addressed as much as we can already.

I hope this helps or at least gives you some ideas to try.

Good luck!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inc. MP061 Inspiron E1705
    CPU
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory
    Motherboard
    Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479 Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    Memory
    2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Di
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Chassis Serial Number: 5YK95C1
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1958 Kbps download ; 754.8 Kbps upload
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Dell AIO Printer A940

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

6TO4 Adapter
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Router Linksys / WRT54G -01
The answer is.....another bad motherboard. Best Buy installed one early October..did a poor install..(I had to show THEM how the VGA connector was SO LOOSE.)

They had it for another week.

Last time for them. Ever.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP m8200n Windows Media Center
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.00GHz
    Memory
    3.00 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP widescreen w1907
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
Sorry about the problem, but glad that its resolved.
Take care.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays