Install Vista in Safe Mode

Orbital Shark

Vista Pro
Originally posted in http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/6158-build-7068-wont-install.html i thought i'd post details here too as the process is exactly the same for Vista.

Note   Note
This method is very handy if you have a piece of hardware that is causing issue with your installation of Windows Vista. It will detail how to disable the offending piece of hardware during installation.

Here's How:

Step 1, With the Windows Vista DVD in your DVD drive, press any key when promped @ 'Press any key to boot from CD / DVD...', as soon as the message is gone, quickly press F8 to show the boot options list. Select Safe Mode and install 7. It will allow the initial stages & file copying.

Step 2, When Vista restarts for the first time, press F8 and select 'safe mode'. A dialog box will appear stating that windows cannot continue in safe mode 'ok' to restart.
warning   Warning
Do not click OK when the message box appears. Instead, just carry on with step 3

Step 3, press SHIFT+F10 to open the command prompt and direct youself to x:\windows\system32
Code:
x:
cd\windows
cd system32
then type CompMgmtLauncher (it takes a few seconds to load) you can then access device manager from this console.

Step 4, Select the offending hardware & choose to disable it. Close command window and click ok on the dialog box. Windows will use a standard driver (with less funtionality) when it restarts.

Once installation has finished & you actually have a screen up & running you should be able to install your original drivers.

Help this helps towards some of your installation issues :)

As soon as I have images, i'll post a complete tutorial

Jeff

My Computer

System One

• Sound Card
    Onboard Realtek HD
Nice one, Jeff. ;)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Compaq Presario C700
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo 1.67 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel GM965
    Memory
    2.5 GB (2 GB Transcend + 512MB Hyundai)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Intergrated 965 Express Graphics
    Sound Card
    Conexant High Definition
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Compaq
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    160 GB Compaq
    Keyboard
    Compaq
    Mouse
    Alps Pointing Device Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    2 Mbps Download, 512 Kbps Upload
    Other Info
    Integrated Web-Camera
    (P.S. Have another custom-built PC with Win7 x64)
Back