Solved Local access only! Need help

Okay So this shows me that It is Windows Vista and not any third Party software How long has this Happened and Have you ever Got an Internet Connection? Also Did it stop after you installed any Software or Updates If so Please Specify

Many Thanks,
Josh

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.10GHz
    Motherboard
    Foxconn H67MP-S/-V/H67MP
    Memory
    8.0GB DDR3 @ 665MHz (2GBx4)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD Radeon 6870
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SMB1930NW (1440x900@60Hz)
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    977GB Seagate ST31000524AS ATA Device (SATA) + 250GB WD iSCSI attached Drive
    Case
    Novatech Night
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Dell HID-compliant mouse
Yes i have been able to connect to wireless internet before this. for instance i could connect at coffe shops or school networks. Im not sure about when exactly it stopped, but i do run automatic updates. and i remember it installing maybe the new server pack. i remember i was excited about that. funny thing is. my wirelesss assisstant was disable and not working for a while. i think it was due to a virus maybe? or just had a problem and i couldnt connect. im not sure if the upgrade to the new server pack fixed it or if they just auto update a new driver but it started working again.

Im not sure how any of this is helpful im just trying to run my memory and let you know all i can remember about it. and besides that i dont really know.

Do you think i should just get windows 7 and see if that works. Im pretty tired of vista and dont mind upgrading if i can. I dont even know if thats possible. but if you could help me find a fix without spending that money i would love you. Thanks man

My Computer

You Say you might of had a Virus and you had Upgraded a Service Pack...

Do you have any Good Restore Points? How long ago was this?

If you would like to Upgrade I can Help you make some Steps And let you do a CLEAN INSTALL ;)

Josh

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Foxconn H67MP-S/-V/H67MP
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD Radeon 6870
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Novatech Night
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Dell HID-compliant mouse
hey, so i dont know how to restore point, but i think i might as well just upgrade to windows 7 and see how that works out. if i still have some problems ill just write a letter to bill... but ill come back and post when i have it and i would greatly appreciate it if you could walk me through a proper clean install! thanks mate for you help so far!!!

My Computer

Okay What Version of Windows Vista do you have? Also If your Able to use another Computer and transfer a File Between a Computer (Flash Stick.. Etc) then Please Download and Run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor This will tell us if your Computer can Handle Windows 7 If you have any Uncompatible software or Hardware then Please Specify

See Free Download PC Upgrade Advisor Windows 7 Hardware Programs Issues For More Information

Also If you are going to do a Clean Install ( Recommended) Then it will Delete all your Files and then Install Windows 7

Or you can Upgrade (Not Recommended with your Current Problem) Then you can Just Run the Upgrade Advisor and if it comes out Good then you Can Upgrade to Windows 7

Clean Install:

Before you Start to do anything Make a list of all your Programs that you use and then Write a Website for them or Install disk

Next Backup All your Files that you would Like to Keep (Manually) You may also want to Use Windows Easy Transfer this will Transfer all your User's Accounts,Files ...etc

To Use Go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools> Windows Easy Transfer

Follow the Wizard until You save the files Be warned When you transfer all your Files Back you may Get errors so That is when you Do it Manually by using the Files and folders you Backed Up Before

If your Going to buy the Upgrade disk (Cheaper yet harder to Install)

Then See Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version - Windows 7 Forums For More Information

If your Going to Buy a Full Retail Disk (More Expensive But Easier to Install)

Then See Clean Install Windows 7 - Windows 7 Forums For More Information

Once you have followed those Steps you can then Install all of your Programs and Transfer your Files And Folders

Hope This Helps,
Josh

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Foxconn H67MP-S/-V/H67MP
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD Radeon 6870
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Novatech Night
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Dell HID-compliant mouse
Could you first do me a favor and go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / Command Prompt and double-click it to open it. Then type ipconfig /all and enter. Then I'd like you to scroll so all the local network connection shows and take a screenshot and save it as a .jpg file to the desktop. Then scroll to the wireless network connection and take another screenshot of everything and do the same. Then make sure you have no broadband connection showing (if so, take a screenshot of that as well). Then please post back attaching both/all screenshots. We may be able to identify the problem from them.

Thanks and good luck!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inc. MP061 Inspiron E1705
    CPU
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory
    Motherboard
    Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479 Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    Memory
    2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Di
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Chassis Serial Number: 5YK95C1
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1958 Kbps download ; 754.8 Kbps upload
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Dell AIO Printer A940

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

6TO4 Adapter
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Router Linksys / WRT54G -01
Wow thanks for all the steps. I was thinking of transfering some programs i needed to another computer but backing up and saving files sounds ALOT better. Thanks for the tip. And i will try and get these photos up for you guys and maybe the problem can be found out. yeah im thinking if i have to ill do a clean install and just start over. CLEAN haha. Thanks

My Computer

Thanks!
Worked for me. I've been wrestling with this annoyance for a week.
Cheers.

Wait, nevermind... Access: Local only

Any suggestions? I've tried everything available.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba Satellite L305D
    CPU
    AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-70 2.0 GHz
    Memory
    3.0 GB
Hi herff,

Welcome to Vista Forums!

This thread belongs to gebreab. What you have done is called hijacking and is discouraged. Among other reasons, it makes it very difficult for anyone to understand to whom replies are directed when we are trying to assist two different people in the same thread and can lead to misunderstandings that may result in either giving the wrong advice or someone doing something not intended for them (that may in fact even cause harm).

As this is your first time here, don't worry about it - it's no big deal. We'll help you, but first you need to start a separate thread in this forum. You do that by clicking the orange button at the top of the forum titled "New Thread." Name it whatever you want and then post your message.

From seeing what you posted above, we need MUCH more information to be able to help you. Although your problems may seem the same on the surface, the situations are most likely completely different. We need to know how your network is setup. Are you connected wirelessly or cabled? Was it working before and just stopped or is this a new installation? Can you ever connect or does it always give you "Local Only"? Are any other computers in your location connected the same way and are they working OK? What does "tried everything" mean - what EXACTLY have you tried and what happened when you did so? Are you using a router and, if so, what manufacturer, make, and model? If you have an intranet, can you connect locally to other computers or printers on the network? How long has the problem been going on even though you've been trying to fix it for a week? Is your network setup to connect to both the local network and internet simultaneously through the local connection or do you have separate connections for local access and broadband access? Add anything else you think might be of help.

I'm completely serious when I say that we need the answers to ALL of these questions before we can even get started. If I were in front of your computer, it would be much easier, but I'm not there, so I need you to do these things for me and provide me with the information I need to diagnose the cause and come up with a plan to resolve it. Perhaps the following article will also help you compose a good post that will give us what we need: How to ask a question. I realize it will be a long post and take some time to compose.

Now, I'm going to give you some steps to do and include with that first post that will help us understand the problem better.

I'd like to try an experiment. Connect directly from the PC to the Modem (bypassing the router if it is possible to do this given the connectors - if not, skip the rest of this and the next paragraph) and then go to Start / Control Panel / Network and Sharing Center / Setup a connection or Network / Connect to the Internet / Broadband / Fill in the necessary information and then click Connect and see if you can connect. If it works, open your browser and verify it works OK. Then Go to start and shutdown the computer.

Now restart the computer. I'm not sure if it will start automatically or not as we really didn't set that up but it might. Go to Start / Connect To and check the available connections. Your local connection should show but be disconnected since we aren't attached to the router. Look at the broadband connection and see if it is connected or not. If not, then select it and click on Connect. Fill in the username and password if it wants it (it may or may not - we didn't configure that either). See if it connects. If the connection continues to work, then we know that the problem is with the router setup or the local connection (if the internet goes through it). Whatever happens (if it works or doesn't work), give me all the details in your next post. If it does not work, then go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / Command Prompt and double-click to open it. Type ipconfig /all and enter. Scroll so all the broadband connection information appears and take a screenshot and attach it to your next post. That should help me understand how it is setup and may show me where the problem is.

Reconnect the computer and modem to the router (or how it was setup before) and reboot. Then go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / Command Prompt and double-click to open it. Type ipconfig /all and enter. Scroll so all the local connection information appears (or the wireless connection - whichever contains more information) and take a screenshot and attach it to your next post. That should help us understand how it is setup and may show us where the problem is. Make sure you name the two screenshots so we'll know which is which and save them as .jpg files before you attach them.

I may see you when you repost or it may be someone else.

Thanks for your help and good luck!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inc. MP061 Inspiron E1705
    CPU
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory
    Motherboard
    Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479 Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    Memory
    2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Di
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Chassis Serial Number: 5YK95C1
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1958 Kbps download ; 754.8 Kbps upload
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Dell AIO Printer A940

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

6TO4 Adapter
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Router Linksys / WRT54G -01
Hola! so i ugraded to windows 7 clean install. The problem has disapeared and i now have wireless internet!!! It ended up being really easy to install. i didnt really back up any of my files because i didnt have room in my D drive. so i just made a disk, i forget what its called but like a backup disk maybe to take me back to original mode.

My tip is to install windows 7 if you have this problem because its only like 50 dollars and most of us would pay that much for a game or for the internet we are trying to get to work..... so if you can save up and get it i recomend it. i really like the interface and its just smoother in my opinion. So far no problems. I guess if we were looking for fixes we found one!!! people might be looking for an easier fix but if all else fails, why not get the new windows! plus im from seattle so no problem in supporting microsoft!!

Thanks for all of your help on this site. I greatly appreaciate it and i learned some stuff about computers. Thanks alot guys!

My Computer

I am Glad you got your Issue Sorted out but I am sorry we couldn't resolve the Issue in Vista Now you can either stay on VF To Help other People or if you need help you may Post at Seven Forums the Choice is yours

Your account will always be on Vista Forums so do not worry ;) I will now mark this thread as Solved

See Windows 7 Forums If You have Any questions about Windows 7

Many Thanks,
Josh

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Foxconn H67MP-S/-V/H67MP
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD Radeon 6870
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Novatech Night
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Dell HID-compliant mouse
Back