major driver problem - looking for someone with great patience!

nah if you take it to a shop they'll just charge you to reformat it , thats a last resort , whats the make and model of your laptop ill see if i can get some info on exactly how to do the repair install , it'll be easy once you know how you just need to find out what button to press at startup , then instead of booting up into windows it will take you to set of options to either reformat or perform a repair install , im assuming here you have a recovery partition on yuor hard drive.

see im thinking a repair install wil fix the registry , and as its only a repair option and not a reformat you wont loose any files.

Its a last resort on my part tbh im running out of ideas , if this doesnt work you may have to reformat and if that doesnt work you may need to take it to a shop to get a new drive fitted , but try yourself first and save some cash ;)

you never know some clever arse may happen acros this thread and tell yuo its something really simple , but im thinking not

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 @ 4Gig / Titan Fenir
    Motherboard
    XFX 780i
    Memory
    4GB OCZ PC2-8500C5 DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gainward GTX260/216 SLI
    Sound Card
    Creative X-FI Xtreme Gamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell UltraSharp 2209WA 22"
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    western digital raptor 10000rpm sata
    PSU
    OCZ Modstream 700w
    Cooling
    Titan Fenir
    Keyboard
    Razer Reclusa
    Mouse
    Logitech G5 Gamer
    Internet Speed
    8mb
nah if you take it to a shop they'll just charge you to reformat it , thats a last resort , whats the make and model of your laptop ill see if i can get some info on exactly how to do the repair install , it'll be easy once you know how you just need to find out what button to press at startup , then instead of booting up into windows it will take you to set of options to either reformat or perform a repair install , im assuming here you have a recovery partition on yuor hard drive.

see im thinking a repair install wil fix the registry , and as its only a repair option and not a reformat you wont loose any files.

Its a last resort on my part tbh im running out of ideas , if this doesnt work you may have to reformat and if that doesnt work you may need to take it to a shop to get a new drive fitted , but try yourself first and save some cash ;)

you never know some clever arse may happen acros this thread and tell yuo its something really simple , but im thinking not

erm its a compaq presario c500 on vista home basic anything else u need to know just give us a shout! thanks ur a Star!

elaine

My Computer

all i can find is instructions to reset to factory original unfortunately , and all that said im assuming it will work (as long as your dvd drive is ok) but its meaning you loosing all your files etc you would have to back up , unless of cours there is a repair install there too , you'll have a few options after booting into the HP recovery manager

its up to you what you do sorry but i cant be 100% certain it'll solve yor problem , just 99% ;)

i expect thats all they'll do at the shop as you have already tried evrything else and doing it yourself is free ;)

Repairing a Corrupted Installation Using HP Recovery Manager*

let me know what you decide

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Motherboard
    XFX 780i
    Memory
    4GB OCZ PC2-8500C5 DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gainward GTX260/216 SLI
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    OCZ Modstream 700w
    Cooling
    Titan Fenir
    Keyboard
    Razer Reclusa
    Mouse
    Logitech G5 Gamer
    Internet Speed
    8mb
all i can find is instructions to reset to factory original unfortunately , and all that said im assuming it will work (as long as your dvd drive is ok) but its meaning you loosing all your files etc you would have to back up , unless of cours there is a repair install there too , you'll have a few options after booting into the HP recovery manager

its up to you what you do sorry but i cant be 100% certain it'll solve yor problem , just 99% ;)

i expect thats all they'll do at the shop as you have already tried evrything else and doing it yourself is free ;)

Repairing a Corrupted Installation Using HP Recovery Manager*

let me know what you decide

awww thanks darling! will try that tommorow! had a few drinkies tonight so not a very good idea! lol!
thanks again
Elaine

My Computer

yuo seem to have gone quiet , you aint taken it to a shop have you!!!! ;)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Motherboard
    XFX 780i
    Memory
    4GB OCZ PC2-8500C5 DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gainward GTX260/216 SLI
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    OCZ Modstream 700w
    Cooling
    Titan Fenir
    Keyboard
    Razer Reclusa
    Mouse
    Logitech G5 Gamer
    Internet Speed
    8mb
Ok ok im here! sorry archie had a rough weekend lol! anyways been reading through that info and it mention back up and says it will ask if i want to back up my files just to clarify will doing this 100% garuntee me losing none of my stuff coz i have some pretty imprtant photos of great centiment on the computer! i do have copys of them but in a photo album and dont have a scanner to put them back on here a friend did it for me and emailed them! so doing everything it says is it safe enough for me to do without losing my pics??

sorry to be a pain

elaine

My Computer

It will back them up , but you need to be 100% sure you dont loose them , get yourself a cheap usb memory stick , and save all yuor pics on that first , dont rely on your system to do it for you it may go wrong

Take your time , double check yuo have everything backed up before you reformat , just to be sure :) Good luck

ps im assuming you know what a usb memory stick is and you know how to back up your pics to one , if not just ask , its really easy and nobody will mind explaining it to you :) it will probably be a good idea to back up your internet favourites too , makes everything a bit easier when you satrt over again

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Motherboard
    XFX 780i
    Memory
    4GB OCZ PC2-8500C5 DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gainward GTX260/216 SLI
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    OCZ Modstream 700w
    Cooling
    Titan Fenir
    Keyboard
    Razer Reclusa
    Mouse
    Logitech G5 Gamer
    Internet Speed
    8mb
brilliant thanks archie! yeah i know what a usb stick is! woo hooo see i know 1 thing! lmao! cheers for all ur help well get back in the next few days and let u know how it goes!!

elaine

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    CPU
    Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
    Memory
    Crucial Ballistix 4x2GB PC2 6400
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Creative SB X-Fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207 + HPvs15
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050 + 1024x768
    Hard Drives
    2-WD5000AAKS-500 GB
    WD 5000AAV-500 GB external
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Comfort Curve
    Mouse
    MX Revolution
    Other Info
    Wacom Intuos 2 Graphics Tablet
    Experience Index=5.5
hi archie just a quick update... bought an 8gb memory stick on ebay just waiting for it to arrive then once everything is backed up will give all that a try! will keep u updated as to how it goes!!!

elaine

My Computer

nice one :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Motherboard
    XFX 780i
    Memory
    4GB OCZ PC2-8500C5 DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gainward GTX260/216 SLI
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    OCZ Modstream 700w
    Cooling
    Titan Fenir
    Keyboard
    Razer Reclusa
    Mouse
    Logitech G5 Gamer
    Internet Speed
    8mb
Hi Archie well got the memory stick put all my photos mysic etc onto it so glad i did as the computer backup thingy failed! done all it said to do put the laptop back to factory settings and :confused: nope still not working! so after all that hassle nothing! So now im guessing it really is buggered! Am i right in guessing i now need a new drive thingy? And also where do i get one and again would u know roughly how much i would be charged to get one fitted! was in pc world a few month ago and asked about it getting opened up and cleaned out and they said they would have to send it off to someone whos insured to do that and it would cost well over £200! so to put in a new driver thing im guessing it has to be opened also costing £200 +???

sorry for all the questions lol!

Elaine

Oh and p.s thanks for all ur help and mega patience ur a gem!

My Computer

oh rubbish!! :(

do you mean the reformat (factory settings) failed and it didnt reformat? Or it reformatted sucessfully but your dvd rom still doesnt work?

200 quid is a bit steep and insured for what?? , i build alot of gaming pc's but ive had no experiance with laptops apart from fitting ram i cant see it being that hard to fit a dvd drive if its faulty (it just seems too much of a coincidence that it went faulty after uninstalling Nero , i dont know why a reformat didnt fix it)

a dvd drive for a laptop is about 35 quid (very quick look could probably get em cheaper) dont you know anyone who can fit it for you?

or have you got accidental damage cover on yuor house contents insurance ;)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Motherboard
    XFX 780i
    Memory
    4GB OCZ PC2-8500C5 DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gainward GTX260/216 SLI
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    OCZ Modstream 700w
    Cooling
    Titan Fenir
    Keyboard
    Razer Reclusa
    Mouse
    Logitech G5 Gamer
    Internet Speed
    8mb
oh rubbish!! :(

do you mean the reformat (factory settings) failed and it didnt reformat? Or it reformatted sucessfully but your dvd rom still doesnt work?

200 quid is a bit steep and insured for what?? , i build alot of gaming pc's but ive had no experiance with laptops apart from fitting ram i cant see it being that hard to fit a dvd drive if its faulty (it just seems too much of a coincidence that it went faulty after uninstalling Nero , i dont know why a reformat didnt fix it)

a dvd drive for a laptop is about 35 quid (very quick look could probably get em cheaper) dont you know anyone who can fit it for you?

or have you got accidental damage cover on yuor house contents insurance ;)

I know tell me about it! yeah it reformatted sucessfully everything back the way it was just didnt fix the problem! :confused: so looks like i need a new one! And yeah i went to pc world because it was over heating for a wee while and i wanted them to open it and like give it alittle clean like get rid of dust etc and the guy told me that they arent insured to open up laptops and would have to send it to someone else who works along with pc world and it would cost way over £200! he actually told me it wasnt worth it and just leave it be! no way would i pay that! its madness! also theres a computer shop down the street here and he refuses to oen laptops aswell! So im guessing to get a new drive put in it will def have to be opened up?

and nope i know alot of people who can fix pcs etc but they all refuse to open laptops incase they 'damage' them! grrrr so frustrating!!!!!!!

elaine

My Computer

well as the title says have a major drive problem and i think ive broke it! :confused:
firstly im VERY unaware when it comes to this kind of thing! all i use my laptop for is browsing on the net i do have spyware and antivirus thingys but dont really know much else!

ive been driving myself mad trying to find a fix for this problem for day and now im at the point i wanna smash the thing! anyway rambling on so this is it...

my dope of a partner decided to install nero! i didnt like it and it kept freezing the computer and generally didnt work so uninstalled it! after i did that the next day i went to burn a disc using wmp 11 and it kept spitting the disc back out and wouldnt read it! I cant get the driver to read blanks cds dvds nothing! i looked all over for advice (wish i hadnt) been in device manager and looked for updates says theres none! went to regedt and did the lower/up thing but think ive deleted the wrong thing as the website didnt tell me not to do the one with .bak on?? :huh: have i made it even worse?

its a compaq presario on vista home basic and the driver is - TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L632H ATA DEVICE.

Really stumped now and near tears with frustration! Please if anyone at all could help id be very gratefull and if u need any more info let me know! as i said really dont know what im doing with computers so if its possible please use a simplified version!

sorry to be such a pain in the backside! :confused:

Elaine x

Do you have Compac recovery disk? You should be able to restore that specific driver. When you use the recovery disk be very very careful and Read carefully before you hit enter. You do not want to do a virgin install if you are not sure ask.

My Computer

Back