Solved memory diagnostics tool tray icon not showing

well i just checked in EV, 34hrs passed from the 1st memory test.
i'll appreciate if you'll have the time to think about it, since i googled all over and could not find a similar issue like mine :confused:
No rush

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    LENOVO G-530
    Other Info
    # Intel Pentium Dual-Core T3400 (2.16GHz, 1MB L2 cache, 667MHz FSB)
    # 15.4-inch glossy 16:10 display (1280x800)
    # Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
    # 3GB DDR2 667MHz RAM
    # 250GB 5400RPM HDD
    # SuperMulti DVD+/-RW Optical Drive
    # Broadcom WiFi (802.11b/g), 10/100 Ethernet, Modem
    # 6-Cell 11.1V 53WHr Battery

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=5022&review=lenovo+g530
well i just checked in EV, 34hrs passed from the 1st memory test.
i'll appreciate if you'll have the time to think about it, since i googled all over and could not find a similar issue like mine :confused:
No rush

OK, there is a problem. I shall think about it overnight, and see how it plays out in my mind :)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.50GHz
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 3870 (512 MBytes)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 x Dell 2007FP and 1 x (old) Sonic flat screen
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 1200 and 1280 x 1204
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)
    Western Digital: WDC WD6400AAKS-75A7B0

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    Western Digital: Caviar Black, SATA 6GB/S, 64Mb cache, 8ms
    Western Digital: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 ATA Device
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Advent Optical ADE-WG01 (colour change light up)
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
    ASUS USB 3.0 5Gbps/SATA 6Gbps - PCI-Express Combo Controller Card (U3S6)
thanks, let it roll ;)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    LENOVO G-530
    Other Info
    # 3GB DDR2 667MHz RAM
    # 250GB 5400RPM HDD

I read the above thead as well as the one posted in January in Windows Answers by amir_sn (who I assume to be you since it was almost word-for-word) so you've been working on that issue for a long time - but I see you still have the problem though you've now installed MSE. Sorry, didn't mean to get off-topic like that - that discussion belongs in the other thread. After reading both (and the references in both), I will say that I don't believe these two issues are at all related. So the problem here remains the fact that Event Viewer does not report the results of the Memory Scan and the Memory Scan notification icon does not appear.

I'm still stumped, but perhaps Richard has some ideas and maybe others will also pitch in to assist.

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inc. MP061 Inspiron E1705
    CPU
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory
    Motherboard
    Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479 Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    Memory
    2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Di
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Chassis Serial Number: 5YK95C1
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1958 Kbps download ; 754.8 Kbps upload
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Dell AIO Printer A940

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

6TO4 Adapter
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Router Linksys / WRT54G -01
Yap it is me :)
amir_sn's Profile
and I also don't believe these two issues are at all related
*i like this forum more then any other forums:)
and you know, even if no one can solve my issue - still people are just wonderful here!!!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    LENOVO G-530
    Other Info
    # 3GB DDR2 667MHz RAM
    # 250GB 5400RPM HDD

More info.
i found this Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool(doc attached)
there are 4 processes for the tool health:
The following components make up the Memory Diagnostic Tool:
● Memtest.exe (%systemdrive%\boot\): If this file is corrupted or deleted, the Memory Diagnostic Tool will fail to launch on reboot.
● MdSched.exe: Schedules Memory Diagnostic.
● MdRes.exe: Displays results of running memory test.
● Relpost.exe: Parses results of running memory test, log data and schedule mdres.exe.
on my vista the 1st component located in windows\boot\pcat
all other 3 located in system32 folder-my location are correct? (my guess they are)
-i also tried to start the tool from The Windows Vista boot menu-still only 1st event recorded on EV and no further event/results shown
Any suggestions please?

Attachments

• Tools and Troubleshooting - Memory Diagnostic Tool.doc
    121 KB · Views: 286

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    LENOVO G-530
    Other Info
    # 3GB DDR2 667MHz RAM
    # 250GB 5400RPM HDD

Interesting article - and I also read the link in it. Neither mentioned anything about Event Viewer or an icon in the notification area (let alone how to repair their absence in either place after running the scan). I checked and those 4 files are in the same locations on my system, so I think we can assume they are all in the right place.

In Event Viewer, try the following. On the left, click the + next to Application Services and Logs to expand it. Click the + next to Microsoft to expand it. Click the + next to Windows to expand it. Check to see if your Diagnostics report is listed there. If it has Diagnostics, click the + next to it to expand it and see if has Reports listed. If so, we've found it. If not, we're pretty much back to square one (and I don't have the faintest clue how to get the notification icon to appear - I can find no controls or settings for it at all).

Also, I went to Start / Search box and typed MDRes.exe and right clicked on the icon that appeared and nothing seemed to happen. Then I went back to Event Viewer and in the Windows folder (inside Event Viewer as explained above) there was now a listing for MemoryDiagostics-Report!! It didn't have anything in it except a debug option which contained nothing either, perhaps since I hadn't run the test but that did get it to show up when it hadn't been there before. Perhaps if you try that you will be able to see the results since you have run the test. It's worth a shot.

I searched the entire registry and while I found many entries for diagnostic, I found nothing that I could understand enough to know if it affected reporting or the icon notification (though some sounded like they might apply - but it was all in code and I didn't have a clue where to begin to change it).

Anyway I hope this helps. Otherwise, hopefully Richard will come up with something.

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Hi Lorien,
i followed your instructions. as you see in the photo there is only debug name , when i open it it is totally empty (blank), also number of events =0. i tried the 2nd suggestion with MDRes.exe -no change.
Thanks again & hopefully Richard will come out with something ...

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 27

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    LENOVO G-530
    Other Info
    # 3GB DDR2 667MHz RAM
    # 250GB 5400RPM HDD

That's exactly as mine shows. Well, at least we now have a MemoryDiagostics-Report folder there (even if it contains nothing at the moment). That may be a step in the right direction and we now know exactly where to find it instead of needing to search for it.

I wonder if the fact that the folder now exists will make any difference when the scan completes in terms of whether it adds information about the scan to it? Probably not - but I suppose it is possible (though highly unlikely). If you have the time, now that you've created the folder, perhaps it would be worth a shot trying a Scan to see if it adds any information to the folder (maybe it was just unable to create the folder but now that it exists it can move the data). Of course, this does not address the missing icon (which is almost certainly related and why I doubt it will work - or maybe it does address the icon as well - who knows?).

Anyway, if you have the time, try another scan and then check that folder to see if it shows any results. I realize this is a wild hope with nothing factual to back it up, but if you're willing and have the time, I think it's worth a try. If it still doesn't work, then I REALLY am out of ideas other than a full backup and a clean installation (and I'm not sure it's a big enough problem to go through all of that - but that's entirely up to you). And of course, Richard may still come up with something, so we should hold off on a re-installation in any event until he's had a shot at this after time to consider it.

I sincerely hope this works. I'm at the bottom of the barrel as far as other options go.

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

I think the folder was there, since i did not create it.
anyway i'll start new memory scan test (thats what you meant by scan-right?) now and report later on.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    LENOVO G-530
    Other Info
    # 3GB DDR2 667MHz RAM
    # 250GB 5400RPM HDD

I ran memory scan test again, the folder does not show any results at all :(
unfortunately we do not have any idea for further progression.
nothing guarantee upon clean installation-so i'll definitely avoid it

(i also ran the test on my WIN7 machine -it works fine+ tray notification+results were written to the specific folder correctly)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    LENOVO G-530
    Other Info
    # 3GB DDR2 667MHz RAM
    # 250GB 5400RPM HDD

I would have nuked it by now and done a reinstall,think what else you could have done with the time you have spent on it. Nuke it.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo Thinkpad T400
    CPU
    Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53GHz
    Motherboard
    LENOVO 64734VM
    Memory
    2.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Sound Card
    Conexant 20561 SmartAudio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    1x 180GB Intel 530 series SSD
    1 x 120GB Hitachi 5400rmp
    1 x 650GB Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    1x 1Tb Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    Internet Speed
    Medium for New Zealand
    Other Info
    Weakest part of my computer is the graphics chipset.
    Only ever used a laptop.
    Also use USB Freeview TV Card
    Lenovo Docking Station
    External Speakers
    Other bits a pieces as needed
I'm afraid I must agree with ilikefree. If you want this feature restored, I believe a re-installation is the only remaining option as I do not know how to restore that functionality any other way. Even though SFC shows no corruption, it doesn't check all system files, just most of them - it may be something it doesn't check (or it could be a conflict with something else installed on the system - it's hard to tell). I'm reasonably certain it isn't a hardware problem or even a driver problem - they would cause other problems that would have become apparent by now.

Personally, I would use other available good and free memory testing tools instead of Vista's since you can't seem to get that one to produce a report. For example, you can also test your RAM by using the process at http://www.memtest.org/. If it fails, test each chip individually to find those that are bad and replace them. If it passes, RAM is probably OK. There are other options available but this one is probably the best. In any event, it seems at the moment that the Vista test did tell you enough to know there isn't a problem with your memory even if it didn't produce an event report or a notification icon. You can try this test as well to confirm that if you feel unsure about Vista's testing program because of the reporting problems which may also be affecting the testing as well (though there's absolutely no proof of that other than that they are obviously related). You know, in the midst of trying to resolve this problem, I never bothered to ask why you were running a memory test in the first place - is something happening to cause you to suspect you have memory problems? If so, please clarify what - it may not be memory and we may be able to help with whatever that is (unless you were just doing so as part of your regular maintenance routine). Then you'll still have the ability to test memory and do not need to go through the trauma of a re-installation, but that decision is yours (and I'll bet I know how you'll decide ;)). Anyway, in case I bet wrong, here's some help on how to do a system restore/upgrade which would be the first choice (as it essentially only requires you to re-install updates as all other programs, settings, and data are left alone - though a full backup first is still recommended to be on the safe side) and then also how to do a clean install if it comes to that.

Here's how to do a system repair/upgrade using the genuine Windows Vista Installation Disk - you can't use a re-installation disk and only some OEM Installation Disks (there you need the exact version of Vista as well) provide the option - it will either be obviously there when you boot to it or it won't be available (one of the same bit-size you own or one you can borrow from ANYONE). To do this you have to also be able to boot normally. Here's the procedure: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html. Although this will not affect your data, settings, or programs, you should still backup your data before starting just to be on the safe side. You may have a lot of updates to re-install (including any service packs you had to remove). If the version on the system came with SP1 or SP2 pre-installed and the disk is an earlier version, then you'll need to make a slipstream disk as follows: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/151606-vista-sp1-slipstream-installation-dvd.html.

If that doesn't work (or you don’t have the disk), then I'm afraid the only option is a clean install. You can use Knoppix http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html with a good ISO copier like: http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm along with a blank CD. This should give you enough access to the system (if you can't get in any other way - but you can, so that shouldn't be an issue) to backup your important data. If that doesn’t work, try slaving the drive to another computer and recovering the data using that other computer to access the disk. Once done, you can do a clean install either using the genuine Windows Vista Installation Disk or the Recovery Disk or the Recovery Partition (whatever process is dictated by your computer manufacturer – you may need to contact them for the procedure and perhaps to get recovery disks). To do a clean install proceed as follows: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_install_03.asp (adapted as necessary by the procedures of your computer manufacturer). Then you will need to re-install all your programs, reset all your preferences, reconfigure your network and email settings, restore your backed up data, run Windows Update with possibly nearly 150 updates pending,...

If it were me, and this was the ONLY issue affecting the system, I would go with the third party programs for memory testing in the future and leave things as they are and live with the minor problem. The furthest I'd go would be a system repair/upgrade to try to fix the problem (if I had the disk). I personally would not go through the whole process of a clean install just for this. But these are decisions you must make for yourself.

We also still haven't heard from Richard, but as good as he is, I don't think even he's going to come up with anything in this case. If he had come up with something, he probably would have already posted. I asked ilikefree to look in as well, and you saw that he suggested a clean install to resolve the problem (meaning he also didn't have a solution to the problem or an option to pursue). While I agree that would probably resolve the problem, I think it's too drastic given that this is a relatively minor issue. Again, the decision is yours.

I'm sorry we've been unable to help you resolve this issue without suggesting drastic steps (which would probably work).

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

OK friends I surrender (at least for now...) :zip:
Lorien-i'll choose your advice, re-installation is indeed too drastic given that this is a relatively minor issue.
big Thanks all for your advices & support :geek:
____________Digging stop here______________

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    LENOVO G-530
    Other Info
    # 3GB DDR2 667MHz RAM
    # 250GB 5400RPM HDD

I would also advise you to use a user account not an administrator account for every day work.
Then you might not notice these little things that,while they worry you,don't appear to stop your computer running sweet.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo Thinkpad T400
    CPU
    Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53GHz
    Motherboard
    LENOVO 64734VM
    Memory
    2.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Sound Card
    Conexant 20561 SmartAudio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    1x 180GB Intel 530 series SSD
    1 x 120GB Hitachi 5400rmp
    1 x 650GB Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    1x 1Tb Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    Internet Speed
    Medium for New Zealand
    Other Info
    Weakest part of my computer is the graphics chipset.
    Only ever used a laptop.
    Also use USB Freeview TV Card
    Lenovo Docking Station
    External Speakers
    Other bits a pieces as needed
At last i solved the issue :)
seems i have 3M total asymmetric memory [see SIW report], when i took out 1 stick (Hyundai 1024M) from motherboard- the memory test took place with tray icon display +EV report.
once again thanks all the friends here for their effort & advices!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 92

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    LENOVO G-530
    Other Info
    # 3GB DDR2 667MHz RAM
    # 250GB 5400RPM HDD

Back