Microsoft Critical Patch

I've just got those updates you mentioned Sassofalco needed a reboot.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Home
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy x360 Convertible 15-bq0xx
    CPU
    AMD A9 Stoney Ridge Technology
    Motherboard
    HP 8312 (Socket FP4)
    Memory
    8.00GB Dual-Channel Unknown (?-0-0-0)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz) 512MB ATI AMD Radeon R5
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Aud
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor on AMD Radeon R5 Graphics
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    119GB SanDisk SD8SN8U-128G-1006 (SSD)
    931GB Hitachi HGST HTS721010A9E630 (SATA
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse
    Internet Speed
    62.86Mbps down 18.19Mbps up
    Other Info
    EPSON78D0CF (XP-332 335 Series) (Default Printer)
So is this CPU usage 100% problem a big deal, should I put off installing this update, or is it ok?

I've just got those updates you mentioned Sassofalco needed a reboot.

Just reboot after its installed and you wont have problems, that patch was unrelated to the 100% CPU usage problem since it was caused by his driver and that's solved itself Im glad to hear ;)

Steven

My Computer

Expect attacks via latest Windows security hole
Expect attacks via latest Windows security hole

By Susan Bradley

Following Microsoft's release last Friday of a critical, out-of-cycle patch, only sporadic reports of attacks based on this weakness have been received — but that may not last.

Apply the patch referred to in MS08-067 right away, because Trojan horses that take advantage of this security breach are sure to hit us soon.

MS08-067 (958644)
Microsoft monitors remote-access exploits

As I reported in last Friday's special bulletin, everyone who uses Windows XP, Vista, Server 2003 or later should download and install MS08-067 (patch 958644), which is a critical corrective for the OS.

The good news is that, so far, Window Secrets readers report few problems installing the patch. The small number of glitches they have encountered can be cleared up by uninstalling and then reinstalling the update.

In the meantime, the Microsoft Security Response Center blog reports that the company has detected malware authors discussing online how to take advantage of this vulnerability. However, at this writing, Microsoft says it hasn't discovered any new threats that use this exploit to drop a Trojan on targeted systems.

There may not yet be any fast-moving worm built specifically to exploit this weakness. But the vulnerability is similar to the hole that was used by the MSBlaster worm, which surfaced on the Internet in 2003. So don't let down your guard. Patch your PC if you haven't already done so, because this exploit is sure to be the focus of malware authors before long.

Since it's only a matter of time until such attacks become widespread, I urge you to reach out to other Windows users you know to ensure that they're protected from this vulnerability — once you've patched your own systems, that is.

Reboot to complete application of the fix

One question that often comes up when patching Windows is whether you need to reboot the system to ensure that it's fully patched. Some Microsoft patches are able to temporarily suspend a system, add the patch, and then restart only the service or services that are involved.

The file that's being patched by this out-of-cycle update, however — netapi32.dll — is used by so many different Windows functions that it's impossible to apply the patch without rebooting your machine.

I installed the patch on a PC that's running Small Business Server 2003 to determine the number of services that need to be shut off and restarted to ensure that the system is truly protected. This post on my blog includes a screen shot listing the many different processes that use the file.

Always reboot before installing patches, so you know in advance whether your system is having any boot-up problems you should resolve. Equally important — and I cannot stress this enough — whenever you install a patch, if the system indicates afterward that you need to reboot it, do so right away. If you wait, you leave your system vulnerable. Also, whenever two versions of the same file are stored in your PC's memory, they're likely to conflict, which makes the machine unstable.

Responses to reader questions about the patch

Over the past week, I've fielded some interesting questions from Windows Secrets readers regarding this rare, out-of-cycle patch from Microsoft. Here are two of the most common queries:

"If I'm running Microsoft software on a Mac, am I vulnerable?"
No. The vulnerability in question affects only Windows, not Microsoft Office or other applications running on a Mac or other non-Windows system. If you use a Mac, you don't have to install this patch.

"Are Windows NT and Windows 98 machines susceptible to the security hole?"
Windows NT, 95, 98, and Me are supported by Microsoft only for customers who pay a fee. As a result, Microsoft releases patches for these operating systems only to people who have Premier support contracts with the company.

However, as was reported on the Patch Management blog by Eric Schultze of patch-management vendor Shavlik.com, Microsoft has provided a fix for this problem to customers who pay for NT patches.

I'm still investigating whether Windows 98 is vulnerable to this problem. Until I determine this, I urge users of Windows versions prior to XP to have a full complement of up-to-date security software on their machines, including both an antivirus app and a software firewall.

Vista gets two expected patches from MS

Vista machines were offered two new, out-of-cycle patches beginning on Oct. 28, two weeks after this month's Patch Tuesday.

One of the patches was MS08-062 (953155). This upgrade is for the Windows Internet Printing Service and only affects you if you're using Vista as a Web server. Microsoft stated on Oct. 14 that this fix was being offered for Windows Server as part of its regular Patch Tuesday release, but that a version for Vista would be coming out later.

Vista is also now receiving its monthly dose of compatibility upgrades in patch 957200. However, at this writing, the Microsoft Knowledge Base article that would ordinarily detail what's in the patch is missing in action.

If you'd like to read up before deploying the patch, as I plan to do, feel free to look for KB article 957200 in the next few days. (It'll probably be posted on this page at Microsoft.com.) I don't believe you need to install this patch until Microsoft explains what it does.

Virtual computers need to be patched with TLC

In a recent blog post, Microsoft employee Tony Soper provides specific instructions for applying this patch on servers that use the company's HyperV virtualization platform. Soper indicates that the virtualized server platform's default setting doesn't even check for patches, let alone install them.

Follow these steps to patch a virtualized server:

• Step 1. Open a command line. Type hvconfig and press Enter.
• Step 2. Type 6 and press Enter to search for updates.
• Step 3. Type Y and press Enter to download and install all updates.

After a few minutes, you'll be prompted to restart the system. Click Yes to initiate a restart.

Don't forget to patch any virtualized operating system that you may have as well. Personally, I patched several test operating systems last Friday that I have running in VMware to ensure that they're also protected.

AVG antivirus is causing patching headaches

As if we didn't have enough patching emergencies to deal with this week, a recent update of AVG's antivirus software knocked out some people's Internet connection. AVG's support page indicates that after upgrading to AVG version 8.0.196, your network link may fail.

If rebooting your PC doesn't fix the problem, follow the instructions on AVG's support page to download the fixfiles.zip file to your computer. Double-click the .zip file to open it, and then double-click fixfiles.exe in the resulting folder to run the utility.

If the glitch persists, the company recommends that you run a repair installation of your AVG app. If reinstalling your antivirus software doesn't get you back online, AVG advises that you contact the company's support desk for further instructions.

I became aware of the AVG update glitch when the program began to interfere with the collection and distribution of e-mail on my Small Business Server 2003 test system.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 5920gmi notebook
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2.00GHz
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800 x 4294967296 colors
    Internet Speed
    crawl
Thanks for the heads up Les. This was/is a very interesting thread.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Scratch Built
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core 6600
    Motherboard
    Asus P5B
    Memory
    4096 MB Xtreme-Dark 800mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Zotac Amp Edition 8800GT - 512MB DDR3, O/C 700mhz
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 206BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680 X 1024
    Hard Drives
    4 X Samsung 500GB 7200rpm Serial ATA-II HDD w. 16MB Cache .
    PSU
    550 w
    Case
    Thermaltake
    Cooling
    3 x octua NF-S12-1200 - 120mm 1200RPM Sound Optimised Fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft
    Mouse
    Targus
    Internet Speed
    1500kbs
    Other Info
    Self built.
We have isolated our problem to the AVG network filter driver. When this is enabled, CPU usage is much higher than usual and when we kick off a big download, CPU usage sky rockets.

When we disable the AVG network filter driver, CPU usage returns to normal and does not spiral out of control when a big download is started.

Our hosting provider has logged a support request with AVG and I will post back any updates.

Jason

My Computer

Back