Microsoft`s Silent Trusted Root Authority update is Invalid?

I was going though my Event Log today and spotted over 5000 CAPI2 (Crypto API) Errors, generating anywhere from 5-20 new errors every hour going back to November it seems...

eventlognw7.jpg

After some quick checking it seems the Trusted Root Certification Authority list is not updating correctly :huh:

For anyone who doesn't understand what the Trusted Root Certification Authority List is about or why this list is a crucial cornerstone of everyday internet use heres a excerpt from Microsoft`s documentation:

Root certificates are updated on Windows XP, Vista and all earlier versions of Windows automatically. When a user visits a secure Web site (by using HTTPS SSL), reads a secure email (S/MIME), or downloads an ActiveX control that is signed (code signing) and encounters a new root certificate, the Windows certificate chain verification software checks the appropriate Microsoft Update location for the root certificate. If it finds it, it downloads it to the system. To the user, the experience is seamless. The user does not see any security dialog boxes or warnings. The download happens automatically, behind the scenes.
Root certificates are also delivered for Windows XP and earlier. Root Updates are cumulative, so it should only be necessary to install the latest one to receive all root certificates in the Program.
Whether a user, or “relying party”, should trust a root certificate for any particular purpose can be a difficult question. CAs must be on guard against issuing certificates to people who put them to bad use, such as signing malicious software to make it seem more acceptable. CAs should have effective revocation policies and procedures to adequately deal with such certificates. Also, users are expected to scan a CA’s Certificate Practice Statement (CPS) before deciding to trust a certificate - to ensure that acceptance would not cause undue risk to a user’s security, for example. Such documents can be hundreds of pages long though, making user trust decisions complex. Microsoft’s role is to assess CAs and qualify them according to the Program requirements before enabling distribution of their root certificates.
Basically, Microsoft periodically updates the list with the latest Certificate Authorities used for Verifying the SSL certificates used by your bank, ebay, paypal and thousands of other websites using SSL certificates and also updates the list of banned certificates being used for Malware, fraudulent websites or other certificates being misused (Like these two: VeriSign issues false Microsoft digital certificates)

The latest Update can be downloaded here (URL from the Event Log): http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cab

After opening the AuthRootstl.cab file you can see the Authroot.stl update list where you can see the latest Trust List Update information...

trustlistzn3.jpg

It seems however that the last Certification update Microsoft released on the 4th of November 2008 was signed using an invalid Internal Windows Code Signing certificate :eek:

Not only did Microsoft use the wrong Certificate to sign the Update, the Trust list of updated certificates itself (viewable from the second tab then under Certificate list) has a few hundred invalid and missing CA entry's :shock: :eek: :sarc:

Interestingly, when I downloaded this list on Windows 7 it had an equally destroyed Update List signed at 11:50PM the night before the Vista Update List was signed the next day at 9:50AM, they both have the same hash and thumbprint but have different signing dates (How is that even possible? :confused:) There is also no information about the CAPI2 errors found in the Windows 7 event-Log...

90475428rx0.png

It begs the following questions:

1: Why hasn't this problem be reported by anyone, anywhere else before I spotted it?

2: If the Trusted Root Update did manage to update your local system is it safe to assume the entire system`s Root Certification Store is more or less 'compromised' meaning every website using SSL, every e-mail using signing, encrypted file or anything and everything using a certificate issued by a Trusted Root Certification Authority can no longer be guaranteed or verified on your system? (affecting every Version of Windows including Windows 7)

3: Since its accumulative does that mean all current entries are overwritten with each new update? (incase a system did get this failed update is it ok to continue using without having to format the system?))

4: How does the certificate signing timestamp change between Windows 7 and Vista for the same download?

5: Why does the latest Manual update only support XP? (It seems to install but it doesn't display any information about Vista support or even if it installed sucessfully) (https://www.microsoft.com/downloads...0e-ee7e-435e-99f8-20b44d4531b0&DisplayLang=en)

6: Since theirs no CAPI2 related event-log information on Windows 7 does this mean this update is being installed on Windows 7 successfully or failing silently?

7: How did this pass their internal testing guidelines before whomever reasonable was able to release it and why hasn't it been fixed in nearly two months?

Can anyone else confirm what I have mentioned or does anyone have some more information, thoughts or ideas about this problem so I can report this to Microsoft?

Steven

(P.S. Merry Christmas for yesterday and Happy New Year for next week ;) :party:)

Last edited:
While that is a possibility, I would Google the issue to see if others have this issue and what the "fix" was. Nothing in the computing world is ever as simple as we first think,hence the need for Techs.:huh:

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    LAPTOP. HP Pavilion dv7-1005TX .
    CPU
    IntelCore [email protected] x2
    Memory
    4.00 GB installed, max capacity 8 GB.
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT & 512MB DDR2 dedicated graphics mem.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.0" diagonal WXGA + High definition brightview widescreen infinity display.
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    SPECS.
    Drive 1. 298.09 GB Fujitzu MHZ2320BH G2 ATA Device
    Drive 2. [ All as above.]

CONFIG. C:\287.65 GB, D:\298.09 GB, E:\10.44 GB.
    Case
    Laptop / notebook.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    IBM enhanced
    Mouse
    Synaptics PS/2 Port touch pad.
    Internet Speed
    ADSL [ Too slow.]
    Other Info
    Webcam.
Tried to install KB931125. This generated the following message in the application Log:

Fault bucket 9165836, type 5
Event Name: PCA2
Response: None
Cab Id: 0
Problem signature:
P1: rootsupd[1].exe
P2: 6.0.2600.0
P3: Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor
P4: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
P5: Microsoft Corporation
P6: 1
P7: 201
P8:
P9:
P10:
Attached files:
C:\Users\Submarine\AppData\Local\Temp\{00b00edd-0281-4531-b4b5-63c8a34916ac}\appcompat.txt
These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Report097d34d8

Do not think this helped with the problem much.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS720
    CPU
    Intel Quad Q6600 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell 0YU822, NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI SPP / SLI MCP
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gainward GeForce GTX 560 Ti, 1024 MB GDDR5
    Sound Card
    Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 2407WFP-HC
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    NVIDIA 640GB SATA Raid 0 (2x320GB) (7200 rpm) for Vista,
    Intel X25-M G2 160 GB for W7,
    Maxtor OT III External HDD,
    WD Elements 1 TB External HDD
    Internet Speed
    100/20
    Other Info
    M779 PCIe PAL/SECAM/DVB-T Desktop TV Tuner. Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller.
The error has disappeared yet I have WMPNetworkSvc running and have not installed any updates since the attempt above. Either this fixed the issue, or it it because I have played around with the Media Player settings, or a fixed certificate has been isued.

Do you still have the problem?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS720
    CPU
    Intel Quad Q6600 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 2407WFP-HC
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    100/20
    Other Info
    M779 PCIe PAL/SECAM/DVB-T Desktop TV Tuner. Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller.
When was your last error message?

The Cap12 error hasn't been recorded in event vwr here for the last couple of days. [ a big improvement ] :)
However on checking authroot - the Digital Cert Info still reads "The cert. is not valid ............................" :cry:

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    SPECS.

Case
    Laptop / notebook.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    IBM enhanced
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    ADSL [ Too slow.]
    Other Info
    Webcam.
The last error was on the fift. What do you mean with checking authroot? Where do you check that?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS720
    CPU
    Intel Quad Q6600 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 2407WFP-HC
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    100/20
    Other Info
The last error was on the fift. What do you mean with checking authroot? Where do you check that?

Just noted that one CAP12 error was recorded yesterday.:cry:

Re authroot - got to orb - type in authroot - & voila you have it.:)
See what your details say.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    SPECS.

Case
    Laptop / notebook.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    IBM enhanced
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    ADSL [ Too slow.]
    Other Info
    Webcam.
Are you sure you are not seing the file you downloaded from the Event Viewer? That is the only one that shows when I search, sitting on the desktop. I turned off everything in Tools-Options-Library tab-Configure sharing in Media Player. Don't know if that did anything, but I have not had any error since.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS720
    CPU
    Intel Quad Q6600 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 2407WFP-HC
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    100/20
    Other Info
Are you sure you are not seing the file you downloaded from the Event Viewer? That is the only one that shows when I search, sitting on the desktop. I turned off everything in Tools-Options-Library tab-Configure sharing in Media Player. Don't know if that did anything, but I have not had any error since.

Yep, you are right of course. :o

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    SPECS.

Case
    Laptop / notebook.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    IBM enhanced
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    ADSL [ Too slow.]
    Other Info
    Webcam.
Hello,
I am seeing the same error, and have been for a while, in my event viewer but my computer seems to be working fine. The posts above have me confused. Is this an issue I need to address or is it something that will sort itself out?
Thanks
:)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Intel (R) Core(TM) Quad 6600 @2.4GHz
    Memory
    4GB dual channel DDR2 667MHZ [4x 1024]
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
    Sound Card
    Creative SB X-Fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic Dell PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    2 500GB Hard drives in a RAID 1 Mirror configuration.
    Keyboard
    Standard USB QWERTY keyboard
    Mouse
    Standard optical mouse
    Internet Speed
    Actual 2.2 Mbps
    Other Info
    Connected to DSL internet via ethernet via Netgear DGN2000 modem router.
    Also connected via ethernet to HP 8180 All-in-One Photosmart printer.
    19-in1 card reader and 1 DVD and 1 DVD RW drives
As far as I know there’s nothing to be worried of. I also had the event CAPI2 logged after every bootup in the past and, to have it stop showing up, I changed the Cryptographic Services Startup Type from default Automatic to Automatic (Delayed Start).

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom built
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 920
    Motherboard
    Asus P6T Deluxe V2
    Memory
    6 GB 3x2Gb Corsair DDR3 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Ati Radeon Sapphire X1950 XT
    Sound Card
    Onboard SoundMax
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Sony LCD SDM 20.1"
    Screen Resolution
    1600x1200
    Hard Drives
    Seagate HDDs 3x320gb
    Case
    Cooler Master Mystique 632
    Keyboard
    Logitech diNovo Edge
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Other Info
    HP Deskjet 6980
    HP Scanner 4600
    Zixel Router ADSL/WiFi P-660HW
    Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007
    Adobe CS4 Design Premium
    Wacom Intuos Tablet A4
Hello,
I am seeing the same error, and have been for a while, in my event viewer but my computer seems to be working fine. The posts above have me confused. Is this an issue I need to address or is it something that will sort itself out?
Thanks
:)

My computer is working well also.
Am I worried? No.
Confused as to why it is so? Yes.
Curious as to why it hasn't been dealt with? Very curious.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    SPECS.

Case
    Laptop / notebook.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    IBM enhanced
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    ADSL [ Too slow.]
    Other Info
    Webcam.
My computer is working well also.
Am I worried? No.
Confused as to why it is so? Yes.
Curious as to why it hasn't been dealt with? Very curious.

That describes the feeling exactly!
:D

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Intel (R) Core(TM) Quad 6600 @2.4GHz
    Memory
    4GB dual channel DDR2 667MHZ [4x 1024]
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
    Sound Card
    Creative SB X-Fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic Dell PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    2 500GB Hard drives in a RAID 1 Mirror configuration.
    Keyboard
    Standard USB QWERTY keyboard
    Mouse
    Standard optical mouse
    Internet Speed
    Actual 2.2 Mbps
    Other Info
    Connected to DSL internet via ethernet via Netgear DGN2000 modem router.
    Also connected via ethernet to HP 8180 All-in-One Photosmart printer.
    19-in1 card reader and 1 DVD and 1 DVD RW drives
Vista reports a problem with time, so I looked on that side. After few trials, I was able to get rid of the CAPI2 event ID 11 errors and also able to get them back ! Here's the story :

- I first tried to set my Vista clock one year earlier (no change in BIOS): no success, CPI2 errors were there. System event viewer also reported that my time was not properly set.
- I tried to set the Bios date earlier ( Sept 16 2007 ) (Vista time properly set). No success CAPI2 errors were there.
- I tried to set both Bios and Vista clocks to Sept 16 2007 and ... no more CAPI2 errors.
- I set correct time in Bios and Vista and CAPI2 errors were back. It looks like both the Bios and Vista clock are involved in the check.

Additionnaly, I noticed a huge difference in boot time. As an example, time difference between the first and last boot information in Application Event Viewer is 2 min 29 sec. with CAPI2 errors and is .... 21 sec. without CAPI2 errors. No need to say I would prefer the second one, booting time is always too long !

Additionnally, during the trials, I noticed that Windows update was asking to check updates ... after checking updates, none was reported available even if I know one was waiting for couple of days. After correctly setting time, I could effectively see the waiting update.

So, Vista and Bios with earlier time solves the problem but it's just not possible the keep a PC with wrong time. Updates are also not possible.

Now, I'll wait experts thoughts and possible solutions, because it could really be fun to get rid of these errors and minimize boot time. Thanks

Jean

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD Phenom 9850
    Motherboard
    Asus M3A32-MVP
    Memory
    4 GB
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster FAtality X-FI
    Hard Drives
    VelociRaptor 300G
    Keyboard
    USB Microsoft ergonomic 4000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless 6000
My error disappeared for good after the changes I did with with Media Player. Don't need it.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS720
    CPU
    Intel Quad Q6600 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 2407WFP-HC
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    100/20
    Other Info
Windows Media player sharing options have no effects on my side.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD Phenom 9850
    Motherboard
    Asus M3A32-MVP
    Memory
    4 GB
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    VelociRaptor 300G
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless 6000
Vista reports a problem with time, so I looked on that side. After few trials, I was able to get rid of the CAPI2 event ID 11 errors and also able to get them back ! Here's the story :

- I first tried to set my Vista clock one year earlier (no change in BIOS): no success, CPI2 errors were there. System event viewer also reported that my time was not properly set.
- I tried to set the Bios date earlier ( Sept 16 2007 ) (Vista time properly set). No success CAPI2 errors were there.
- I tried to set both Bios and Vista clocks to Sept 16 2007 and ... no more CAPI2 errors.
- I set correct time in Bios and Vista and CAPI2 errors were back. It looks like both the Bios and Vista clock are involved in the check.

Additionnaly, I noticed a huge difference in boot time. As an example, time difference between the first and last boot information in Application Event Viewer is 2 min 29 sec. with CAPI2 errors and is .... 21 sec. without CAPI2 errors. No need to say I would prefer the second one, booting time is always too long !

Additionnally, during the trials, I noticed that Windows update was asking to check updates ... after checking updates, none was reported available even if I know one was waiting for couple of days. After correctly setting time, I could effectively see the waiting update.

So, Vista and Bios with earlier time solves the problem but it's just not possible the keep a PC with wrong time. Updates are also not possible.

Now, I'll wait experts thoughts and possible solutions, because it could really be fun to get rid of these errors and minimize boot time.

Windows Media player sharing options have no effects on my side.

Indeed system time has been suggested to be involved in this issue. I do not know if you have read the thread linked by me on the 27th of June above. It contains a lot of useful information. This is how to enable CAPI2 logging in the Event Viewer:

"Go to Applications and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\CAPI2\Operational in the event viewer. Right click and enable logging for this service. Then give the log about 10 minutes to log stuff. You should get some informational logs and then some errors. Open the error and click the details tab. Scroll down and it should at least tell you the process that is causing the error."

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS720
    CPU
    Intel Quad Q6600 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 2407WFP-HC
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    100/20
    Other Info
Thanks Submarine for the answer.

Yes I read the whole thread and Yes I enabled CAPI2 log to have more information. The 3 errors were all related to trust certificate, time validity, etc ... and all three were initiated by Avira's sched.exe. As I was reluctant to disable or change Avira, so I posted my message hoping we could find something else than removing Avira. Now I did some additional tests ...

I disabled sched.exe and as you can imagine errors disappeared. It was predictable, the call is coming from Avira. Between you and me, removing the "initiator" doesn't mean we found the real culprit !

I just hope that another Antivirus scheduler will work. We'll see.

Thanks again

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD Phenom 9850
    Motherboard
    Asus M3A32-MVP
    Memory
    4 GB
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    VelociRaptor 300G
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless 6000
Hmm, I remember I had some odd recurring error. It went away after I flashed my BIOS and immediately after restart installed some program. Cannot remember what it was, if it was SP1, or if it was a re-installation of McAfee. It was related to system time somehow.

Anyway, good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS720
    CPU
    Intel Quad Q6600 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 2407WFP-HC
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    100/20
    Other Info
I subscribe to the MS feed on this topic. The problem continues to be discussed, speculation on causes are many, the "techs" offer various "solutions" & yet the problem still remains.
[dmex started this thread on 26-12-08 ,a long time ago, & things still haven't changed.]
For anyone who wants to persue the topic further it has been suggested to use this link.
https://connect.microsoft.com/default.aspx

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    SPECS.

Case
    Laptop / notebook.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    IBM enhanced
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    ADSL [ Too slow.]
    Other Info
    Webcam.