Microsoft: The Vista Bullying Stops Here

dmex-albums-forum-img-pics-picture133-transparentvistaqz0.gif

I'd say its about time that Microsoft done something:

By Rick Whiting, Kevin McLaughlin, ChannelWeb
1:17 PM EDT Tue. Jul. 08, 2008

Windows Vista has been dragged through the mud by the bullies with which it competes, but those bullies are about to get hit with some long overdue retaliation.

That's the message from Brad Brooks, Corporate Vice President of Windows Consumer Products, who in a Tuesday keynote speech at Microsoft (NSDQ:MSFT)'s Worldwide Partner Conference in Houston attempted to swat away the negative mojo around the OS that has built up since its launch.

"There are a lot of myths around Windows Vista. We know the story is very different than what our competitors would like us to think," Brooks told the audience.

In a clear dig at Apple (NSDQ:AAPL) and it's 'I'm a PC, I'm a Mac' advertisements, Brooks suggested that Microsoft is preparing to retaliate against "noisy competitors" with a major new multi-million dollar advertising campaign, something that many channel partners have been hoping the software giant would do for months.

"You thought the sleeping giant was still sleeping. We've woken up and it's time to take this message forward. This is the true story of Vista," Brooks said.

Security is one of the areas in which Vista simply hasn't received its due, Brooks said.

Read the full article here - Microsoft: The Vista Bullying Stops Here - IT Channel - IT Channel News by CRN and VARBusiness.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife likes those Mac commercials, she thinks they are cute...I find them annoying. I never really thought about the lack of Microsoft advertising, I bought Vista without the ads anyway.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Homebrew
    CPU
    Q6600 (G0) SLACR
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte EP35 DS3R
    Memory
    2 gigs G.Skill DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX 8600GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung T190 1440X900
    Screen Resolution
    1440X900
    Hard Drives
    2X Seagate 120 (OS's) IDE
    1X WD 750 SATA
    PSU
    Corsair HX520
    Case
    Coolmax el cheapo
    Cooling
    Rosewill HSF (soon to upgrade)
    Keyboard
    BTW low profile backlit/quiet key
Why dont they just fight like with like and do the same sort of ads.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self built
    CPU
    Intel E8400 3GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel DX48BT2
    Memory
    Kingston PC3-10666 4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX 9800 GTX XXX
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2x Samsung SM-T220HD 22"
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050 on two monitors
    Hard Drives
    WD Raptor X/150Gb in RAID0
    WD Raptor 36gb
    3x Samsung F1 1Tb
    PSU
    Thermaltake ToughPower 850w
    Case
    Thermaltake Armor
    Cooling
    Tuniq Tower 120
    Keyboard
    Dell Multimedia Enhanced USB
    Mouse
    Razer Diamondback 3G
    Internet Speed
    8128/832
    Other Info
    Thermaltake Muse esata caddy
Have you guys checked some of the Apple forums?

The Macs have bigger problems then Vista ever did.

MS should have sued Apple 2 years ago.

I've use a Mac on many occasions ans you could give me one yet alone get me to use it regularly. I'd go back to Win95 first.

Really the ones doing the bulling are the ones that have to have everything done for them anyway. If they screw it up they cant possibly hope to fix it with the limited knowledge they have. And they are the ones that love to tinker with things they dont understand.

XP had more problems then Vista when it came out. Just look back in the Xp forum treads. People wanted to tar and feather Bill when it came out. Now its..pryed from my cold dead hands?

Get a Mac.

You would not last a day and you'll be back to Vista.

It works.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    My Ever Changing Whim!
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad 9650
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ35JO
    Memory
    6GB Corsair DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS 9800GT Ultimate
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19 inch Sceptre 19 inch Acer
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    1 320GB Seagate SATA
    1 250GB Western Digital SATA
    1 200GB Maxtor SATA
    2x160GB Western Digitals SATA
    1 320GB Seagate External
    1 120GB Western Digital External
    1 80GB Westen Digital External
    1 4GB Crucial Flash Drive for Ready Boost
    PSU
    600watt Fortron Source
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Fresh Air
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonamic 4000
    Mouse
    Razer Diamondback
    Other Info
    My main rig runs Vista Ultimate or Server 2008. Depending on which Acronis image I decide to load.
"Windows Vista is a good product," Brooks told partners. "We need to make our voices heard."
18 months after Vista was released RTM, this months 2008 July APC mag (page 16) talks about how bad they hate the indexing and search services, the first sentance of the article says he used a beta copy of windows :shock: The other articles talk about how ubuntu is a better upgrade then Vista :sick: and titled the magainze "Windows Killer: Linux comes of age" :sick:

That guy Brooks was right about some who dont know why something changed with vista over xp or never learned the new features or how it works, they just decided its bad for everyone and keep thinking and saying it forever :mad:

My Computer

I am very happy with Vista x64 Ultimate. I found 2000 and XP more irratating than Vista. 18 minutes to install. I did disable UAC and DEP. My firewall and router are properly configured. I don't go to strange sites.

I have Redhat Fedora 7. It is a pain to get file sharing and web services to work right. I am ready to get Windows Home Server.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
    Motherboard
    Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
To be honest, I have loved Vista since I first tried it - on sub-par hardware.

In fact, I used Vista as an excuse first to upgrade my sub-par hardware to not so sub-par (but still sub-par) hardware, then to justify building this rig.

The upshot of all the complaining is that many of the people poo-pooing Vista as the same ones that did the same to XP. And that is sad.

Ed Bott did a piece a couple of months ago not only stating what I just said, but actually *proving* it (thanks, in part, to Google archive).

The worst part about it is that people complain about UAC being in the way. Ask them to get on a Mac running Leopard, and create an administrator user - and then go install some software. Or change the wireless router you're using. Or change the Time sync service settings. Or change the power settings.

I know - I am running a lab with 25 of those pretty 20" iMacs.

And for those that think that *nix is any better, guess what? You run your regular apps as a standard user, which may or may not be a part of the wheel group - but installations and such still require (you guessed it) root privileges.

Vista isn't perfect - hell, no OS is - but guess what? It's the best thing that M$ has put out in a long time.

Another thing that I have noticed is that the *majority* of Vista related problems I see are on OEM machines, and *in particular* HPs....and yet the OS gets slammed left and right and no one takes into account that HP could be at fault here....

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro X64 Insider Preview (Skip Ahead) latest build
    Manufacturer/Model
    The Beast Model V (homebrew)
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 965 EE @ 3.6 GHz
    Motherboard
    eVGA X58 Classified 3 (141-GT-E770-A1)
    Memory
    3 * Mushkin 998981 Redline Enhanced triple channel DDR3 4 GB CL7 DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3-12800)
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 (04G-P4-3979-KB)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio (onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 * Lenovo LT2323pwA Widescreeen
    Screen Resolution
    2 * 1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    SanDisk Ultra SDSSDHII-960G-G25 960 GB SATA III SSD (System)
    Crucial MX100 CT256MX100SSD1 256GB SATA III SSD (User Tree)
    2 * Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA II Mech. HD
    Seagate ST1500DL001-9VT15L Barracuda 7200.12 1.5 TB S
    PSU
    Thermaltake Black Widow TX TR2 850W 80+ Bronze Semi-Mod ATX
    Case
    ThermalTake Level 10 GT (Black)
    Cooling
    Corsair H100 (CPU, dual 140 mm fans on radiator) + Air (2 *
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 (gen 2)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master (shared)
    Internet Speed
    AT&T Lightspeed Gigabit duplex
  • Operating System
    Sabayon Linux (current, weekly updates, 5.1.x kernel)
    Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo ThinkPad E545
    CPU
    AMD A6-5350M APU
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics card(s)
    Radeon HD (Embedded)
    Sound Card
    Conextant 20671 SmartAudio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Lenovo 15" Matte
    Screen Resolution
    1680 * 1050
    Hard Drives
    INTEL Cherryvill 520 Series SSDSC2CW180A 180 GB SSD
    PSU
    Lenovo
    Case
    Lenovo
    Cooling
    Lenovo
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master (shared) | Synaptics TouchPad
    Keyboard
    Lenovo
    Internet Speed
    AT&T LightSpeed Gigabit Duplex
To be honest, I have loved Vista since I first tried it - on sub-par hardware.

In fact, I used Vista as an excuse first to upgrade my sub-par hardware to not so sub-par (but still sub-par) hardware, then to justify building this rig.

The upshot of all the complaining is that many of the people poo-pooing Vista as the same ones that did the same to XP. And that is sad.

Ed Bott did a piece a couple of months ago not only stating what I just said, but actually *proving* it (thanks, in part, to Google archive).

The worst part about it is that people complain about UAC being in the way. Ask them to get on a Mac running Leopard, and create an administrator user - and then go install some software. Or change the wireless router you're using. Or change the Time sync service settings. Or change the power settings.

I know - I am running a lab with 25 of those pretty 20" iMacs.

And for those that think that *nix is any better, guess what? You run your regular apps as a standard user, which may or may not be a part of the wheel group - but installations and such still require (you guessed it) root privileges.

Vista isn't perfect - hell, no OS is - but guess what? It's the best thing that M$ has put out in a long time.

Another thing that I have noticed is that the *majority* of Vista related problems I see are on OEM machines, and *in particular* HPs....and yet the OS gets slammed left and right and no one takes into account that HP could be at fault here....

I can say very much the same thing. I upgraded my hardware not because Vista ran poorly on it, but because I now had an excuse to do so in order to get maximum benefit of the new features in Vista.

I'll actually face a similar scenario in about a year's time when Diablo III is released - I now have the perfect escuse to pull out R 4000 on a good screen card ;)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    AMD Phenom 9600 Quad
    Motherboard
    ASUS MB-M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi
    Memory
    2 x A-Data 2GB DDR2-800
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ATI Radeon HD 2400PRO
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAHARA 21"
    Screen Resolution
    1600x1200
    Hard Drives
    2 x 80GB Seagate (I)
    2 x 120GB Seagate (I/S)
    2 x 200GB Seagate (I/S)
    2 x 250GB Seagate (I/S)
    PSU
    800W
    Case
    Thermaltake Tai-Chi
    Cooling
    Tai-Chi Water Cooler
    Keyboard
    Genius
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    384kbps
    Other Info
    Currently dual booting between Vista x64 Ultimate Windows 7 BETA x64
I am new to Vista. I got my new computer (OEM - HP) online in February of 2008. I went right from Windows Me into Vista. Let me say, OMG, what a big difference, it's like night and day. The Only problems I have encountered are the ones that were self inflicted. I have not had a problems with updates as many have posted. I must agree with the others here on that the haters of Vista are the ones creating their own problems blindly. That is not to say that I don't tinker in where I shouldn't but I do and I learn from that. I want to know why it did what it did when I did it and how to fix it, so I don't do that again. Cudos to this forum, This was the first forum I found for help using Vista and belive me I needed it. I love Vista and all that it offers. I learn something about it everyday that I use it weather it be big or small. Thank guys and gals.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self built
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64x2 6000+ 3.0ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus M4N78 Pro
    Memory
    3Gb PC2-5300 DDR2 @ 667mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX Radeon HD 4770 512mb GDDR5
    Sound Card
    VIA HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual monitors: HP W1907 LCD 19" and Gateway HD Display 19" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 320 x 2-GB Hard Drive
    PSU
    Antec Earthwatts 80 plus 500 watts
    Case
    Ultra E-Torque ATX Mid tower clear side w/2 120mm fans
    Cooling
    Thermaltake MaxOrb cpu cooler w/120 mm blue led
    Keyboard
    OEM HP
    Mouse
    OEM HP
    Internet Speed
    Download 6885 kb/s upload 367 kb/s
    Other Info
    Optical: Super Muliti DVD burner w/lightscribe, Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1800
In terms of OS usages, ME to Vista is fairly a Quantum Leap. My hats of to you for making such a big jump.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro X64 Insider Preview (Skip Ahead) latest build
    Manufacturer/Model
    The Beast Model V (homebrew)
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 965 EE @ 3.6 GHz
    Motherboard
    eVGA X58 Classified 3 (141-GT-E770-A1)
    Memory
    3 * Mushkin 998981 Redline Enhanced triple channel DDR3 4 GB CL7 DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3-12800)
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 (04G-P4-3979-KB)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio (onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 * Lenovo LT2323pwA Widescreeen
    Screen Resolution
    2 * 1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    SanDisk Ultra SDSSDHII-960G-G25 960 GB SATA III SSD (System)
    Crucial MX100 CT256MX100SSD1 256GB SATA III SSD (User Tree)
    2 * Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA II Mech. HD
    Seagate ST1500DL001-9VT15L Barracuda 7200.12 1.5 TB S
    PSU
    Thermaltake Black Widow TX TR2 850W 80+ Bronze Semi-Mod ATX
    Case
    ThermalTake Level 10 GT (Black)
    Cooling
    Corsair H100 (CPU, dual 140 mm fans on radiator) + Air (2 *
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 (gen 2)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master (shared)
    Internet Speed
    AT&T Lightspeed Gigabit duplex
  • Operating System
    Sabayon Linux (current, weekly updates, 5.1.x kernel)
    Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo ThinkPad E545
    CPU
    AMD A6-5350M APU
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics card(s)
    Radeon HD (Embedded)
    Sound Card
    Conextant 20671 SmartAudio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Lenovo 15" Matte
    Screen Resolution
    1680 * 1050
    Hard Drives
    INTEL Cherryvill 520 Series SSDSC2CW180A 180 GB SSD
    PSU
    Lenovo
    Case
    Lenovo
    Cooling
    Lenovo
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master (shared) | Synaptics TouchPad
    Keyboard
    Lenovo
    Internet Speed
    AT&T LightSpeed Gigabit Duplex
I absolutely love my fresh install of Vista Home Premium x64 SP1. Vista has never given me very much trouble, unlike previous MS operating systems. I don't care what the naysayers say, Vista is far and away Microsoft's best operating system.

I also put Vista Home Basic on an old HP computer with an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ processor and 768 MB of RAM, which I gave to my family. They think it's much better than XP.

My Computer

I too remember the early days of XP and they were terrible.:mad: I had Win ME and borrowed :o a copy of XP (OEM Dell) from a friend when it came out and I had lots of "incompatible" hardware issues but finally as XP matured and I spent lots of $$ on hardware, It got better.
When Vista came out I decided to build a PC to run it. I bought "certified for Vista" hardware. I had a few issues but they turned out to be bad RAM.

I love Vista and I'm tired of the Vista bashing!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    RJ's Toyz/HOTROD
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Extreme Q9650 @ 3.8GHz
    Motherboard
    DFI LanParty UT P45-T2RS
    Memory
    G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    VisionTek Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB w/AC Accelero XTREME cooler
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Audidy2 ZS w/ Fatal1ty I/O panel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" and 22" Acer LCDs
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 / 1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    2TB (2 X 1TB) SATA Seagate Barracudas
    PSU
    PC Power & Cooling 1200W
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF932
    Cooling
    VIGOR GAMING CLT-M2I 92mm TE CPU Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 Gamer
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 @28grams
    Internet Speed
    very very very slow
    Other Info
    3DMARK06 = 23114
Oh yah....XP was a total Dog until Sp1 came along, and then SP2 made it the best OS MS had released to date! I think Vista is well on it's way to overtaking XP in that regard. XP was released with 1500 known bugs, Vista had less than 500, that in itself is a big improvement.

I initially had troubles with Vista and had to reinstall it about 8 times in the first 8 months. But I can't blame that on Vista since I was Beta testing 3 different firewalls during that time in an attempt to help them get some security products out for the x64 platform. And when a beta firewall goes wonky it will usually take the system with it. Well, it never got quite that bad but I found things just got squirrely so I reinstalled the OS to get a fresh start on things.

I Love Vista and I was about to start building a new & powerful machine at the time it came out so the timing was perfect to get something that could be decent for about 4 years. I hate the fact that you can't even finish building your machine before your hardware is overtaken by something newer and faster with better this and new that....AArgghh!! By the time you order your part, it's outdated it seems...oh well, I guess that will always be.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Personal Build
    CPU
    Intel E6750 Core 2 Duo
    Motherboard
    Asus Commando MoBo (P965/ICH8R)
    Memory
    4G's Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 PC26400 RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Platinum FATAL1TY (next)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x 22" w2207 LCD Monitors
    Screen Resolution
    1- 1680 x 1050, 1 - 1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    3 x 500G SATA II WD Caviar HDD's
    PSU
    EnerMax NoiseTaker II 600W
    Case
    NZXT Lexa Classic (modified, dual doored & windowed)
    Cooling
    Zalman 9700 CPU cooler, 4-120mm fans, 1-90mm
    Mouse
    Logitech Optical Trackman trackball
    Other Info
    NZXT Lexa Classic Case, Zalman 9700 CPU Cooler, 2 DVD Burners c/w LightScribe (Sony, TSST), Enermax NoiseTaker II 600W PSU with Custom Chrome cable sleeving, Hauppauge HDTV TV Tuner Card, 5.1 Logitech Z5500 speakers, 15 in 1 Multi-card reader

Hmm. I agree with your post, ecept for the HP part. I have an HP with a dual core AMD proc, 2 GB of Ram. It came with XP. I wiped the drive a couple of months ago, bought Vista Ultimate and installed the 32 bit version. have had NO problems with it crashing. I also like Vista, and yes, it has it minor problems and gotcha's, like all OS's. And I admit, I have about an hours worth of experience with a mac. And that was way to long. The hardware is ugly, the interface is ugly and looks like it's made for a child. No thanks, I'll stay with Vista (and don't even get me started with Linux..argh)

My Computer

i just have so much trouble trying to install stuff.:o(
My Paint Shop pro does not work right. I can not install my print artist I went to buy the new print artist 22 but they say it will not work on 64 bit either..Every time I go to install something It asks for the admin I am the admin I finally found out how to turn that off. But then When I get past that step it will say NOPE NO CAN DO.. Switch to 32 bit. Well How can I. when i bought this computer i saw the 32 and the 64 But it only had the 32 IE.. Can yawl hear me crying.Is there a button to Push..To go to 32 bit..

My Computer

i just have so much trouble trying to install stuff.:o(
My Paint Shop pro does not work right. I can not install my print artist I went to buy the new print artist 22 but they say it will not work on 64 bit either..Every time I go to install something It asks for the admin I am the admin I finally found out how to turn that off. But then When I get past that step it will say NOPE NO CAN DO.. Switch to 32 bit. Well How can I. when i bought this computer i saw the 32 and the 64 But it only had the 32 IE.. Can yawl hear me crying.Is there a button to Push..To go to 32 bit..

Sorry :confused: there is not a magic 32/64bit button.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    RJ's Toyz/HOTROD
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Extreme Q9650 @ 3.8GHz
    Motherboard
    DFI LanParty UT P45-T2RS
    Memory
    G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    VisionTek Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB w/AC Accelero XTREME cooler
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Audidy2 ZS w/ Fatal1ty I/O panel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" and 22" Acer LCDs
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 / 1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    2TB (2 X 1TB) SATA Seagate Barracudas
    PSU
    PC Power & Cooling 1200W
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF932
    Cooling
    VIGOR GAMING CLT-M2I 92mm TE CPU Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 Gamer
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 @28grams
    Internet Speed
    very very very slow
    Other Info
    3DMARK06 = 23114
Whenever I hear the anti-Vista rants I think to myself "what sort of users are these?" I kind of assumed that some where simply trolls trying to get everyone riled up.
My Vista experience started with upgrading my old hardware and I too graduated to new hardware after Vista seemed a bit slow on some of the old P4EE machines. When I upgraded my wifes crappy Dell C510, which had a slower CPU and no Video card, but faster architecture it actually ran faster than it did with XP. That's when a light came on and I figured out that I had to upgrade my hardware to really make Vista move.
I've had very few OS problems at all, and I've been quite happy with Vista since I first downloaded my "family pack" from MS. That was the 3 Vista upgrade deal they had when it was first released, 1 Ultimate and 2 Homes. Since then I've purchased 3 more Ultimates and two are x64.
Transitioning from XP meant that there were a few differences that had to be learned, but after that clear sailing. I guess those differences where too much for some folks, and they got pissed.
Whatever... Vista works.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    qx6700
    Motherboard
    intel badaxe2
    Memory
    6 Gig Corsair ddr2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9600GT 512
    Sound Card
    OB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ24 Princeton19
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200 1280X1024
    Hard Drives
    8 X 500 Gig 3X 1TB RAID 0 and 2X 500 GB
    PSU
    Rosewill 950
    Case
    Thermaltake
    Cooling
    Chilltec
    Keyboard
    MS Natural Ergonomic 6000
    Mouse
    Kensington Expert
    Internet Speed
    DSL
Whenever I hear the anti-Vista rants I think to myself "what sort of users are these?" I kind of assumed that some where simply trolls trying to get everyone riled up.
My Vista experience started with upgrading my old hardware and I too graduated to new hardware after Vista seemed a bit slow on some of the old P4EE machines. When I upgraded my wifes crappy Dell C510, which had a slower CPU and no Video card, but faster architecture it actually ran faster than it did with XP. That's when a light came on and I figured out that I had to upgrade my hardware to really make Vista move.
I've had very few OS problems at all, and I've been quite happy with Vista since I first downloaded my "family pack" from MS. That was the 3 Vista upgrade deal they had when it was first released, 1 Ultimate and 2 Homes. Since then I've purchased 3 more Ultimates and two are x64.
Transitioning from XP meant that there were a few differences that had to be learned, but after that clear sailing. I guess those differences where too much for some folks, and they got pissed.
Whatever... Vista works.

Great post, I agree with everything you said. Vista still gets shafted by the somewhat misinformed crowd to this day. The sad thing is, 99% of their anti-Vista arguments are based in 2006, when Vista did have SOME problems (but what new OS doesn't?).

My Computer

Since the DOS 2.0 days, (when I built my first PC) I've been trying to squeeze every ounce of performance out of every PC I've owned.
I've gotten pretty good at it too.!!;)

I've been in the Computer business for 28 years now and I've had every version of M$ (Whatever) along the way.

The move from Windows 98/SE to XP-Pro was probably the most traumatic one of all.
XP wanted no part of my sound card, modem or scanner. I was forced to replace all three with XP compatible hardware. No biggie, really!:)

When Vista came out, I was determined to NOT repeat the problems I had with XP, so I built me a brand-new PC to run Vista. I made sure that all the hardware was Vista compatible.

Vista runs on the new PC with very few problems, except for a few driver glitches.
I've learned how to set it up and tweak it out for maximum efficiency. All the info on how to do that is readily available on the internet.

My biggest bugaboo with Vista is it's horrendous size. Why an OS needs to be so Humongous is beyond me.

I'm still looking for info on what Services I can shut down and what files I can delete to streamline Vista as much as possible.

I can back up my XP-Pro/SP2 hard drive to a six-gig flash drive, with Ghost 2003.....NO WAY can I do that with Vista.
Also, I like to run my OS on a FAT-32 hard drive. XP runs like a scalded dog on FAT-32, but Vista will only load on an NTFS partition.:sick:
That's somewhat annoying, don't ya know?:(

Well, we can always hope that the next OS from M$ will be better, but I'm not holding my breath.

Cheers Mates!
The Shadow :cool:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD Athlon Dual Core 5200+
    Motherboard
    MSI K9N Platinum
    Memory
    4 gigs DDR2-800
    Graphics Card(s)
    WinFast
    Sound Card
    Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" Envision LCD
    Hard Drives
    2 Maxtor 160 gig SATA2
    1 Seagate 200 gig SATA2
    PSU
    Antec Earthwatts 650
    Case
    Pac Man
    Cooling
    13 fans
    Keyboard
    Generic
    Mouse
    MS-Digital
    Internet Speed
    Cable-5 meg
    Other Info
    Homemade, under constant mod.
Hello Shadow.

Check here LINK REMOVED and you should be able to find a more stream lined Vista install. People love to make things smaller.

I dont install anything without seeing the good o MS stamp on it.

But if you like, and have the time check out what they have.

I use Ultimate X64 and have zero problems with disk space.

I like bells and whistles. Especialy when they work.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    My Ever Changing Whim!
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad 9650
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ35JO
    Memory
    6GB Corsair DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS 9800GT Ultimate
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19 inch Sceptre 19 inch Acer
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    1 320GB Seagate SATA
    1 250GB Western Digital SATA
    1 200GB Maxtor SATA
    2x160GB Western Digitals SATA
    1 320GB Seagate External
    1 120GB Western Digital External
    1 80GB Westen Digital External
    1 4GB Crucial Flash Drive for Ready Boost
    PSU
    600watt Fortron Source
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Fresh Air
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonamic 4000
    Mouse
    Razer Diamondback
    Other Info
    My main rig runs Vista Ultimate or Server 2008. Depending on which Acronis image I decide to load.
Back