Missing SID

A corrupted NTUSER.DAT file will also cause the symptom - simply renaming it within windows, and rebooting, allows windows to rebuild the file and the Key :)
Simple once you know how!!

I read that your client's problem is now fixed. Very well done :)

Unfortunately not - the NTUSER.DAT file is not regenerated on a reboot :(
The folder only contains the DAT file, and the LOG1 and LOG2 files - no regtrans files, and no LOG file :(
I tested a similar configuration in my VM, by deleting from RE, but that regenerated fine.
I suspect that somewhere, something is pulling in the wrong (corrupted) NTUSER.DAT file.

There is a reference somewhere that I found that suggests that if the registry is unable to save the updated to the normal place, it will fall back to somewhere in the Users hierarchy - the question then is how is the fall-back reversed, or is it supposed to test the default location every time?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
The user assures me that the NTUSER.DAT file has been renamed now - but an ICACLS request from teh command prompt says that it's still present!
There must be a redirect in place somewhere - I just can't work out where it's likely to be, or how?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
Hey i have found others facing the same issue, if you want then you can go through this thread and try out the solutions that has been mentioned there, just check it out and see if it is helping you out.

My Computer

What thread? :)

Actually we did sort it out in the end - the NTUSER.DAT file was corrupted, and deleting it allowed the system to self-repair.
See Error 0x80070426 for details

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
Back