My Problems with check and repair disc errors.

Go with the one that perfoms the best, for you. Those graphs and lights do not really do anything but keep the user entertained while waiting.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Of course you are right. It does its function and I do not need to watch it happen as long as it does. It does seem to be working though. So if it aint broke its best not to mess with it. After all it is this problem with the disc error thing that I am trying to solve.

I was just about to open the command prompt and stick in a few codes once I locate where their file is. Then I shall attempt another system restore. These things would not be such a hassle if it wasnt for having to keep logging out. When it all logs back in I then have to re login this and that to get back up to speed and it takes time. I wish I just had the disc and could just bung it in and do a re install its so much simpler. Of course when I eventually upgrade to windows 7 that problem will not exist. However, considering the price of the windows 7 system I might just as well replace my computer for another as the newer computers already have 7 installed.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer aspire m1610
When you upgrade get the upgrade DVD, much cheaper and it will be installed the same and functions the same.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
It is going to be a while before i have that spare cash. At the moment what I need is microsoft word. I really do feel lost without it.

I was in the middle almost at the end of a book i was writing. Microsoft works comes in handy for small stuff but for hard core desk top publishing word stands out and shines alone.

I have gone down the trial route for a while to understand the products differences but it is time I got the matter sorted out. I only bought the computer I am writing on because I though it had word. Anyhow the costs of word and some other things I need outway a need to a new operating system. Unless of course that operating system came with microsoft word already installed with it. I do not suppose windows seven can boast of that can it.?

An update by the way the link to the windows diagnostic tutorial has been most useful. Already My PC is moving faster and I am starting other processes at work that I had not considered before.

As for the repair disc error getting cancelled again it still does that however, I am now almost convinced it does it because other programs are also attempting to start and are running in the background.

When booted up I started in a repair disc mode the sfc/scannow in the command prompt seems to have returned my setting back to default and in repair disc mode I began to re programme my computer from scratch. It even did a repair disc scan before asking me to set the details for the computer settings. I had not noticed before but my computer was operating in US mode and I changed it to British and re set everything.

It took about 20 minutes. Now my computer is faster and no problems seem apparrant. I have not yet attempted a system restore yet and so I could be presumtuous. But I have noticed a change. Perhaps the problems are resolving. I must say I recommend every so often that people do a start up login by the repair tool instead of normal windows vista startup mode. It does seem to make a good change and so perhaps that refresher could be of help to computers getting tired.

Also I just installed firefox mozzila 3.6 for free. I dont know if you have used it but its format is magnificant. I recommend you get it in the belief you will like it. Just type firefox 3.6 in your search engine. It can be used as default or just as an outside other programme which is how I have it. Firefox simply places a desktop icon onscreen and you just click to open when you want to operate it. If you have passwords you want saved it can migrate them for you. Worth reading about what it can do no wonder it won awards.

I like to use my Internet 8 however, so now I use them both. Firefox does have more useful tools on display however. If you do not have it trust me you will love it. It makes surfing the net much easier and seemingly faster.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer aspire m1610
You are going to just remember the day that you made the decision to come to the forum. How would you like word for free? Changed the name to protect the innocent, but here it is.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
You are going to just remember the day that you made the decision to come to the forum. How would you like word for free? Changed the name to protect the innocent, but here it is.

Hello again Richard. Thanks again for the link. I have tried to view the product as I have seen similar versions of word being offered free. All of my files were written in Microsoft word XP 2000/2007 and usually they automatically update whatever version I am using.

I know Microsoft word like the back of my hand. Some of these similar versions do cause problems for my written files, which is why I asked how similar they are to Microsoft word, and will they be compatible.

Once I download, it if I begin to use it to write with it, it may convert the files and then create further problems down the line when I use other computers instead on my home based one for continued writing and those computers will always be Microsoft word XP 2000/2007.

I just am being cautious.
I shall however, download it and see but if it is just a similar product my concerns are about the downloads of my files which are over 4 GB of Microsoft word data files. I am something of a prolific writer.

Anyways I shall download it and take a look-see thank you again.

Oh and now I had a sleep it was F8 I opened to locate the logon with repair file.
Before using it, I did a command prompt fsc/scannow scan. My computer seems to have righted the problem now. Therefore, I am buzzing.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer aspire m1610

I shall have to attempt later as at present it says the page is unavailable. It was not long ago but now my connection isnt happening.

OK got it sorted however, its going to be one of those long wait downloads I think.

When they take their time like this my internet times out. I cannot figure why Internet does that as it is annoying. As long as I have credit on my dongle it should continue til it dies. But instead my computer says it stops the download because of a time out. Perhaps you know what that means as it has so far gone way over my head. :)

Anyway I got the page and its uploading as we speak. Thanks again that was thoughtful. And no worries I shall check if it is compatable.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer aspire m1610
Before downloading anything make a System Restore point, give it a name that you will remember; maybe download in lieu of word. Then if you do not like it, you can go back in a snap.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Too late I already started to download the programme. However, speak of Deja Vu I got an internet time out and that stops the download and connection. I have a vodaphone 3 gig dongle. It may have something to do with the flow of data stream I am not sure. I had similar problems when I tried to download some Microsoft office trials. It is annoying because it overtakes the computer until done and if it is going to time out it always waits until the last minute usually 95% before shutting off the download. I still lose that download cost of whatever began to download taken off the dongle credit.

Not to worry I can access my files with Microsoft word viewer and I still have microsoft works and pad and notebook. I just have to use other computers beyond my own to write until I get Microsoft word installed. It is after all the best product in the universe for writers anyways so I shall be patient.

I have come across similar products almost replicants however many of microsoft words applications do not exist anyplace else and so it still would end up a need to get item.

I was reading that Vista tutorial and it says a system restore point is made automatically at noon every day. I have not yet attempted another system restore. I am instead just going to let my computer settle down for a while.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer aspire m1610
Hello again Richard. I hope that you do not mind my contacting you even though I do not have a problem with my computer at this time. I thought I would point out something I thought was very cool. I do not know what kind of security you have for your computer however, I have Norton Internet security 2010. I bought it from PC world even though I had a Norton security already installed. I had previously tested the trial version of 2010 and liked its format and so bought the product.

I know it is effective as it has already caught out scallywags trying to invade my computer. It wasnt a virus but somebody up to something very bad. All those flashing warning lights freaked me out and got imediate attention but panic not for Norton security stopped them and the matter was resolved. It even gave me a IP address of the attacker which I can trace on the Internet so that was efficiant.

Anyways I have been reading that Vista tutorial you sent me in that link above. It suggested ways of speeding up a computer by removing uneeded desktop icons. So I began erasing those sitting at the bottom layer of the screen as they were not needed.

Anyways Norton Internet security has three icons. One on the desktop and one in the windows side bar and one at the bottom of the screen.

So then I was busy erasing those at the bottom of the screen when I clicked on the Norton Internet security icon. It opened up and ask if I wanted to update my version of Norton Internet security for Internet security 2011. I was puzzled and clicked to agree to see what would happen.

It uploaded onto Nortons security web site and advised that I click on the download button. So I clicked the download button and it updated my current Norton Internet security 2010 for a brand new product of internet security 2011. This is available for all Norton security product holders. They just have to click on the desktop item to get the downloads started.

I was impressed with Norton Internet security 2010 and did not see how they could improve it. But they certainly did. Might I be so bold as to advise and suggest if you do not have Norton Internet security 2010 then type Norton Internet security 2011 to see the programme. They will have a 90 day trial on offer and try it out. I think you will get a good buzz out of its operations.

Anyways I thought I would write and point out this amazing offer by Norton security. Furthermore it replaced my original paid for Norton security 2010 for 2011 for free and it still keeps all the remainder days left from the time I bought the product. Mindsnapper. I thought I would share this data as I discovered it by accident then others may not know the offer of replacement for Norton Internet security 2011 exists.

OK anyways hope this information is useful to you Bye again.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer aspire m1610
Ty for sharing, but I have another slant on the subject.

I use the free Microsoft Security Essentials, combined with the free Malwarebytes and the Windows Firewall
It may not have some of the features of the paid Norton, but it is at least as effective and there is no money to be paid after 90 days and no annual charges. What I have is right for me and I am glad that you found something that makes you happy.

Thanks for reporting.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I understand Richard; and I also have all those windows products pre installed on my computer with Vista and all working as well. I still also use windows firewall and defender. You cannot have enough protection. The Norton was just an added protecter.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer aspire m1610
I got cut off for a while, I wanted to say Norton Internet doesnt just protect against Viruses. Its utilities clean the registry and discs and files and all sorts of things. If you recall some time past you suggested a link which took me to a product from Uni Blu which also cleans the registry ect... Norton is simply another package that can and does do those tasks with a bit more as well. Just as you advised I used a uni blu product to sort problems out, I had already installed Norton security that does all those tasks with a lot more besides. And it does it efficiantly.

I am a fan of all micrsoft products,I still have windows defender on all the time as well as windows firewall. However,not long ago my computer was under attack and they got past windows forewall without any problem it seems and windows defender did not even register the attack. Norton Internet security however spotted I was under attacks and it stepped up and prevented it.

So it is to the wise to always have that added protection. Perhaps as Time allowed windows defender would have presumably discovered the attack but Norton got there first. At least I prefer to view it that way than to consider the other possabilites.

Anyhow I am not trying to sell or convince you of anything. I know you are happy with what you have I was just letting you know about Norton Internet security 11.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer aspire m1610
Thanks for sharing. I think bottom line we will both keep what we have.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Hello again Rich. I was just surfing by and thought I would drop by and say hello. Anything exiting happening?

FRom my side of the fence I seem to have got rid of all the gremlins so my computer is now efficiant. I still do not have micrsoft word and so the computer does not feel complete. I have tried and tried to download that word application through the link you gave me and it still gets rejected. I believe it is a problem with my dongle. Some sort of limitation on what size of download can be accepted.

I ended up deleted that Mozilla thingy. It was a pretty thing but it took up too much data on the page and so it was a problem in the end. Have you tried this new internet explorer 9 yet. Anything to report?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer aspire m1610
Back